IGNORED

Gerry Gow And Bcfc Top Flight Football.....

Mr Mosquito

I was lucky enough to be an apprentice at that time with first year pros like Cashley, Richie, Gow, Fear etc, as well as the old guard like Derrick, Parr (who used to give me a lift in), Rookes, Galley etc. Chris Garland was a top bloke, but I had a spat with Gow in the Robins cafe one time, and another with Tainton in training when he put me on my arse - he was a hard bugger.

My mates at that time in football were Martyn Rogers, Gary Collier and a guy called John Bennett who was the best defender I ever saw and who had it all coached and bullied out of him. But they were good times and although I decided that City weren't for me, I've remained a supporter first and foremost and nothing gave me as much pleasure as seeing City win at Arsenal. Heady days in the top division and never to be forgotten, a big shame that we lost to Hull and that a whole generation have missed out on the big time.

That game against Liverpool stands out for me as THE home game of all time with nearly 40,000 in attendance, and needless to say what the all time away game is.

Happy days.

Yo geezer, happy days indeed, that away game was amazing, for the younger guys on this forum it must sound like a dream come true, during our first year in the old money first division i attended every away game alongside a crew of great friends from the wood, we had amazing times, if it came our way then what the hell we wud give it back, but the main thing was having fun, Arsenal away the first match...took them by suprise, they expected a bunch of farmers without a clue...he he, was even better down the gate when they thought they wud give us pay back...Who was on the smythe park after the game, i was alongside a crew of like minded, embaressed now to think or even talk about it, Arsenal gooners, Pussey's

Yes those were the days Gerry Gow, Trevor Tainton, Clive Whitehead, Jimmy Mann, Keith Fear what a midfield to choose 4 from those 5. The names rarely changed. Not until the latter end of our time in the topflight.

Supporting that midfield and a mainstay throughout our top flight days - don't forget Gerry Sweeny and Geoff Merrick as well. :photo: Gerry Sweeny went on to be this club's most successful manager - didn't he manage us for 2 games and we won both of them ?????!!!! :w00t:

I was 8 the year we went up to the top flight and it was the first season I went to the Gate regularly. Used to stand on a little stand, my dad made for me, right by the white washed wall of the tunnel in the old enclosure. Gerry Gow was everyone's hero but I had to be differerent so plumped for Jimmy Mann although GG was brilliant (as all of them were).

First evening match- Pompey

First away match- Arsenal

First evening away match- Coventry.

I went to all of those as a teenager, plus Leeds away in the F.A. Cup, and I must have seen the majority of Gow's BCFC career.

I was already following City away most weeks by the promotion season - Blackpool, Fulham and the night match at West Brom being amongst the most memorable. We survived the 2nd half onslaught at West Brom through the fantastic fighting spirit from the team, a lot of luck and the literally non stop chanting of the 4,000 City fans, 'BRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIISSSSSTTTOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL' for the full 45 minutes. Never seen the passion of the fans carry the team to victory quite like that night at The Hawthorns.

At Arsenal we queued for ages on a boiling hot day but the City fans had got in the Clock End in numbers very early apparently and chased the Clock Enders out. A steward said there would be several thousand Arsenal fans waiting for us outside after the game but nobody really believed him. As we left after the match a mass of Arsenal hooligans charged down the hill straight into us and it was mayhem at the exit as police on horses battled to drive the fans apart. Amazing and thoroughly deserved win, with Cheese hitting the bar and post before finally planting that fantastic header wide of Rimmer. Welcome to the First Division, on all fronts.

At Leeds Gow was battling the likes of international greats Bremner, Giles and Lorimer in midfield but he and the team would not be bowed either by reputation or the extremely hostile 47,000 crowd on a weekday afternoon. Leeds were top of the league and unbeaten and such was their invincibility the incredible City victory actually made front page news the next day. We didn't celebrate in the ground at all - where we were stood that would have been suicidal - but when we got away from the crowds it sunk in just what a fantastic victory we'd witnessed.

Gow was prominent in all those memorable games of course, but SuperCheese, Sir Geoffrey Merrick, Tom Ritchie, SuperMann, Sweeeeeeeeeney and Cli'Ive Whitehead (on the wing) were all personal favourites of mine too.

They were just a great team to support, full of characters, full of fight and not a little skill.

Gow of course grew up at City, from the early days of his on pitch fracas with Bobby Gould, to maturing into the experienced player who was chosen to make the tannoy appeal at AG to encourage fans to support City in what turned out to be our final away match in the First Division.

I went to all of those as a teenager, plus Leeds away in the F.A. Cup, and I must have seen the majority of Gow's BCFC career.

I was already following City away most weeks by the promotion season - Blackpool, Fulham and the night match at West Brom being amongst the most memorable. We survived the 2nd half onslaught at West Brom through the fantastic fighting spirit from the team, a lot of luck and the literally non stop chanting of the 4,000 City fans, 'BRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIISSSSSTTTOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL' for the full 45 minutes. Never seen the passion of the fans carry the team to victory quite like that night at The Hawthorns.

At Arsenal we queued for ages on a boiling hot day but the City fans had got in the Clock End in numbers very early apparently and chased the Clock Enders out. A steward said there would be several thousand Arsenal fans waiting for us outside after the game but nobody really believed him. As we left after the match a mass of Arsenal hooligans charged down the hill straight into us and it was mayhem at the exit as police on horses battled to drive the fans apart. Amazing and thoroughly deserved win, with Cheese hitting the bar and post before finally planting that fantastic header wide of Rimmer. Welcome to the First Division, on all fronts.

At Leeds Gow was battling the likes of international greats Bremner, Giles and Lorimer in midfield but he and the team would not be bowed either by reputation or the extremely hostile 47,000 crowd on a weekday afternoon. Leeds were top of the league and unbeaten and such was their invincibility the incredible City victory actually made front page news the next day. We didn't celebrate in the ground at all - where we were stood that would have been suicidal - but when we got away from the crowds it sunk in just what a fantastic victory we'd witnessed.

Gow was prominent in all those memorable games of course, but SuperCheese, Sir Geoffrey Merrick, Tom Ritchie, SuperMann, Sweeeeeeeeeney and Cli'Ive Whitehead (on the wing) were all personal favourites of mine too.

They were just a great team to support, full of characters, full of fight and not a little skill.

Gow of course grew up at City, from the early days of his on pitch fracas with Bobby Gould, to maturing into the experienced player who was chosen to make the tannoy appeal at AG to encourage fans to support City in what turned out to be our final away match in the First Division.

Brilliant Sir - especially "Welcome to the First Division, on all fronts.".....I love that. :worship2: Will it come to pass that we will once again be victorious on all fronts in the top flight of English football? I bloody hope so and soon because my life is flashing by and I can hardly believe that it's now a full 32 years since Gerry Gow last kicked a football for this club in the top flight of English football.

Talking of the Arsenal game.

I'd gone up to London the night before to stay with an older brother. On the morning of the match Emperor Rosko (an Arsenal fan) was on Radio 1 - or maybe Capital Radio - prattling in high excitement about their new record signing Malcolm MacDonald and how Arsenal were going to smash Bristol City and how he hoped to see a debut hat trick against the West Country newcomers.

Guess he'd never heard of Paul Cheesley, who looked every inch the record top league signing that day while MacDonald flopped on his home debut as he floundered miserably against the unyielding resolve of Collier and Merrick.

As the City fans sang on the day, :chant6ez:'Old MacDonald had a w***, E-I-E-I-O.' :chant6ez::farmer:

Started watching City in 67-68 season. Feel lucky to have watched them through their most successful years.

Watched Gow progress from youth team player to the first team.

Gow was always one of my favourite players, could win tackles that he should have had no chance of winning.

He got hurt on occasions but would never show he was in pain - no rolling around like players of today.

Gerry Gow - perpetual motion and as hard as nails. On TSport Alan Brazil still tells a brilliant story on how Gowy "intimidated" Arnold Muhren but my favourite memory of Gerry Gow and probably typifies his attitude was in a game against Brighton at the Gate when Gowy thought that a certain Bobby Gould was not trying hard enough and decided to grab Gouldy by the throat in the centre circle.

LEGEND and a shame most of todays over paid prima donnas dont possess Gowys attitude.

Started watching City in 67-68 season. Feel lucky to have watched them through their most successful years.

Gow was always one of my favourite players, could win tackles that he should have had no chance of winning.

He got hurt on occasions but would never show he was in pain - no rolling around like players of today.

Ditto, used to go to all home and most away games back then; sadly many of the grounds have been "modernised" .

Many highlights, biggest being the promotion night.

Passion and pride has almost vanished now from the players and the pc rollocks off the pitch has killed it for the fans.

Will never forget those seasons in the top div! And will never forget Gerry bossing the midfield week after week in the no.4 shirt.

Anyone remember his 30 yard screamer in a 1-1 draw at Anfield?

Happy days!

Yep. Was probably too young to be there travelling on my own with CATS and I'm old enough now to know better.

Best Gow moment. leaping both feet off the floor to swing a punch at Mickey Droy who was about 6ft5 as they were both being sent off.

I thought that was Trevor Tainton. As far as I know Gow was never sent off playing for us.

Supporting that midfield and a mainstay throughout our top flight days - don't forget Gerry Sweeny and Geoff Merrick as well. :photo: Gerry

Sweeny went on to be this club's most successful manager - didn't he manage us for 2 games and we won both of them ?????!!!! :w00t:

can't forget Sween's as he was a neighbour back in LA and he's followed me to Posset. just talking about the midfield gobbers. the back 4 speaks for itself merrick collier drysdale and Sween's were immense.

Will never forget those seasons in the top div! And will never forget Gerry bossing the midfield week after week in the no.4 shirt.

Anyone remember his 30 yard screamer in a 1-1 draw at Anfield?

Happy days!

Watched that one from the middle of the Kop. They were stunned, and rightly so, it was a bolt from the blue and crashed in off the underside of the bar if I remember rightly. Clemence didn't stand a chance.

Pretty sure Joey Jones scored for them.

Watched that one from the middle of the Kop. They were stunned, and rightly so, it was a bolt from the blue and crashed in off the underside of the bar if I remember rightly. Clemence didn't stand a chance.

I also watched from the Kop, though not quite the middle, couldn't have got there even if we had wanted to.

My brother and I stood there motionless as City scored but inside we were jumping up and down !!!

Great days - great memories.

I also watched from the Kop, though not quite the middle, couldn't have got there even if we had wanted to.

My brother and I stood there motionless as City scored but inside we were jumping up and down !!!

Great days - great memories.

I went with a Liverpool fan I had met when we were both working in the kitchens at Butlin's Minehead the previous Summer.

We got in the ground fairly early and he manoeuvred us close to the middle and looked after me throughout. Just as well because the reputation of Liverpool fans being friendly certainly didn't apply to all of them.

Lots of them were looking around for City fans when we scored and as you say it was another occasion for keeping very quiet indeed.

Even before the match I remember being caught up in an angry surge towards the stand to our left when some City fans made themselves known in the corner next to the Kop.

I apparently started watching City just before you but as I would have been 4/5 years old I don't remember a lot about the first couple of seasons. I remember my dad talking about Fred Ford going and Alan Dicks taking over. I remember names from the team that Gow was destined to play in. Rooks, Wimshurst, Parr, Jacobs, Quigley, Skirton to name just a few. I always remember my dad being shocked that a 17 year old Gerry Gow not only came into that team, but became the leader of those experienced players around him so quickly. To have a player of his type at such a young age must have been a huge thing for Dicks, I think that people forget that the team that he took into the 1st division had an average age of 21, Gow was a leader of men from the age of 17 and an experienced pro by the time we hit the big time. Merrick may have been team captain but I don't think anyone would argue with who the driving force was.

I suppose you could argue that he would struggle in todays game, the style of tackling, speed and fitness levels are all different, but I believe the best players from that time would adapt themselves to the current regimes.

Mind you I would pay money to see a video clip of the day he punched out Bobby Gould, I rarely have heard the ground go so quiet, no one knew quite how to react! :)

Who was on the smythe park after the game, i was alongside a crew of like minded, embaressed now to think or even talk about it, Arsenal gooners, Pussey's

Me and a school chum used to catch the bus in from Yate and walk from the old bus station along the river bank to AG

That day .....just as we were going past what is now the Pump house pub.....an old battered tranny van stopped on oppo side of road and the guy in the pasenger seat shouted in a strong cockernee accent "watcha lads....which way to Ashton Gate?"

Well me and aforementioned friend crossed over to help the poor lost souls and they asked us to jump in the back and show them the way to go .....so we innocently went around the back of this dirty old transit thinking "a lift..great" and next thing we know the doors flew open and about 15 gooners tried to pull us in.....all with the obligatory scarf around he wrist and BIG RED Doc's flying in our direction......

Needless to say we ran like fuc.. hell... round to the Denmark which happened to have a few of our lads outside and when they heard they all set off looking for gooners..........

Bit of a shock for a 14yr old but that was football back then.. (glad it has changed now though)

was 16 at the promotion season when we played leeds in the cup wes my first away game and from then on i was allowed to go to football on my own apart from leeds cup game always remember most wba -a when we won 1 -0 but also a keithy fear goal against wba promotion season a half volley that he flipped over his head before he hit was a time when we went in at ht 1-0 down but mostly came through execpt blackpool boo hoo

Someone just has to know which was the best and most legendary goal during our top flight era of 1976-80...other than that Paul Cheesley goal at Arsenal from close range.....

Gerry Gow beating Ray Clemence of Liverpool and England from 30 yards at Anfield for 1-1 draw?

or maybe...

Jimmy Mann beating Peter Shilton of Nottingham Forest and England from 40 yards at Ashton Gate for a 1-1 draw?

.....I saw the Jimmy Mann goal but I wasn't at Liverpool to see the Gerry Gow goal. Does a film clip of that Gerry Gow goal exist?

wnet to man utd as well as well and we did a silly thing and won 1-0 not a pleasant expericence was very quiet that day walking out with all the northeners moaning ohh they were the good days along with torquay away in the 4th - oh dear i am i getting old

Torquay away in the 4th Division? That was the day the City fans ... ahem... reparked the Torquay Chairman's car for him...upside down and with his Missus (one of the Nolan Sisters) still inside. My second ever City game I think.

Haha me too! Sounds like great times though. I wasn't even born til 1986 so I missed out on the glory days too! :(

It's also for supporters like you that I'd love to see this club back in the top flight. There's now almost two full generations of our supporters that have not stood witness to the glory of this club playing in the top flight of English football. Taking on and beating the best football teams in the land.

The general idea of the founding fathers of this football club was to put out a team to represent the City of Bristol to compete with the very best football teams in England. Apart from 1906-11 and 1976-80 - when we were a top flight club - Bristol City FC has failed in this endeavour. The founders of Bristol City FC in 1897 got this club into the top flight within 10 years. I'm absolutely amazed that we've now been 32 years outside the top flight.

'Old MacDonald had a w***, E-I-E-I-O.' :chant6ez::farmer:

Ha! I forgot Old MacDonald Had A Farm, also sung by those of us in the East End to the Hibs keeper Mike MacDonald in the Anglo Scottish cup game the following season.

I started going to City in 75/76 season aged 10, and in retrospect those first 5 seasons were awesome, simply unbelievable. Sadly, no one explained to me at the time that this was the pinnacle and it would be all downhill from 1980 onwards. When we went down to div 2 I honestly though we would bounce stright back up and even wrote a lengthy essay to that effect for an English project at school; a well reasoned and researched piece which mightily impressed my teacher (a Nottingham Forest fan) and convinced all who read it that City would be back soon.

*sad face*

Ha! I forgot Old MacDonald Had A Farm, also sung by those of us in the East End to the Hibs keeper Mike MacDonald in the Anglo Scottish cup game the following season.

I started going to City in 75/76 season aged 10, and in retrospect those first 5 seasons were awesome, simply unbelievable. Sadly, no one explained to me at the time that this was the pinnacle and it would be all downhill from 1980 onwards. When we went down to div 2 I honestly though we would bounce stright back up and even wrote a lengthy essay to that effect for an English project at school; a well reasoned and researched piece which mightily impressed my teacher (a Nottingham Forest fan) and convinced all who read it that City would be back soon.

*sad face*

Sir Alf, you're the same age as me. Before we got back to the top flight in 1976, I remember so many of my elderly relatives and their friends talking about how we were once a top flight club and that one day we'd be back - they were right !!!!! During the early 1970s there was also much talk of the gifted youngsters at our club being capable of being top flight footballers. Today's BCFC doesn't seem to be producing those type of calibre players in the academy even after a great many years of trying. All is not lost because in the 32 years we've been out of the top flight we've seen the likes of unfashionable Wigan, Swindon and Wimbledon make the top flight promised land - our turn will come again.

Archived