IGNORED

Mcmanus - Could Be Recalled

City Loyal

Big blow, thank goodness we brought two defenders in last week. I would like McManus to sign permanently when we seal our Championship survival, does anyone know the likelihood of Boro selling him at the end of the season?

Boro fans on their forum were led to believe that there was a loan to buy option in the loan deal to us, so I would say decent chance.

Well he hasn't got skinned too often when playing there. He is a clever player and positions himself well to minimize getting caught for pace. Not sure how you can claim Carey is too slow to play right back, but then suggest playing Macca at left back. I like Macca but he is no speed merchant, and gets beaten for pace a lot more than Carey does!

thats because we have no other option for a natural left back other then McAllister who has been decent since he came back,

as some one else pointed out carey isn't a reliable right back and was often subject to alot of abuse in the past playing their,

Out of our fit centre backs he is the second best at right back he gets skinned all the time but had the pace of fontaine or wilson to make up for it, we've lost that pace through supenstion,

With derby having alot of pace down the flanks and looking to get in behind us I'd rather have at least 1 full back with pace rather then none,

Also Foster will most likey have Albert infront of him who doesn't offer the best cover so fosters pace will be a must as if Derby set up to play on the counter attack we will be exsposed

thats because we have no other option for a natural left back other then McAllister who has been decent since he came back,

as some one else pointed out carey isn't a reliable right back and was often subject to alot of abuse in the past playing their,

Out of our fit centre backs he is the second best at right back he gets skinned all the time but had the pace of fontaine or wilson to make up for it, we've lost that pace through supenstion,

With derby having alot of pace down the flanks and looking to get in behind us I'd rather have at least 1 full back with pace rather then none,

Also Foster will most likey have Albert infront of him who doesn't offer the best cover so fosters pace will be a must as if Derby set up to play on the counter attack we will be exsposed

He was shocking against Watford - as were most of the team to be fair

He was shocking against Watford - as were most of the team to be fair

but with mcgiven and nyatanga out we don't have much choice in the matter as I'm trying to point out I'd rather have foster in his stronger postion at right back then left back, and rather have carey in his stronger postion of centre back where his lack of pace will be less of an issue then at right back

but with mcgiven and nyatanga out we don't have much choice in the matter as I'm trying to point out I'd rather have foster in his stronger postion at right back then left back, and rather have carey in his stronger postion of centre back where his lack of pace will be less of an issue then at right back

But you still have an issue with pace if you have mcallister at full back.

Carey is not as slow as mcallister and a much better defender - I'd rather have Carey and Foster as full backs. Even though, Carey aint a great full back.

Carey is not as slow as mcallister and a much better defender - I'd rather have Carey and Foster as full backs. Even though, Carey aint a great full back.

macca is the best player we have for a dead ball situation and the only player who can whip in a decent corner

macca is the best player we have for a dead ball situation and the only player who can whip in a decent corner

We were having a serious discussion and you have to spoil it with a joke?! :disapointed2se::D

He'd be decent for conversions - but that is rugby - totally different game i'm afraid :whistle2:

Agree with this. You don't have to be quick to be a good defender. McManus read the game well and attacked things very well but wasn't quick. Far from it.

I understand at full back you can be more exposed to pace, but positionally Carey is spot on and clever enough to not get exposed too often.

His best days are behind him, but still, even when at full back you hardly ever see a winger turn him inside out or rip him for pace.

Agree with this. You don't have to be quick to be a good defender. McManus read the game well and attacked things very well but wasn't quick. Far from it.

I understand at full back you can be more exposed to pace, but positionally Carey is spot on and clever enough to not get exposed too often.

His best days are behind him, but still, even when at full back you hardly ever see a winger turn him inside out or rip him for pace.

Spot on. Louis has never been the paciest defender and now he's in his mid-30s even less so, but his positional play is the best we have and that's a factor of his experience. He's a better player now than he was in his mid-20s IMO when I used to regularly question his ability.

In general I hope City will be looking for younger players on lower wages than McManus when it comes to replenishing the squad this Summer.

However McManus is a leader and has such a presence on the pitch it might be worth making an exception in his case, and building next season's defence around him and Fontaine, with Wilson number 1 backup.

I'm surprised if there was an option to buy after the loan - you'd imagine if his wages were proving problematical at Middlesbro' then they must be at a level which the newly austere Bristol City would be very reluctant to take on.

Our club should be renamed "FC Job" (after the biblical character, it's pronounced "Jobe", you know...)

The sh17 we've had to put up with this season with injuries, suspensions, players going, suspensions, manager sacked and a few more injuries. And then some injuries as well.

Did I mention injuries? We've also been unlucky with suspensions as well.

Totally agree....Would rather have pace at the back...

Archived