IGNORED

Betting Thread

Betting is a Mug's game - unless you own the business. The odds are stacked against the average punter.

Many years ago I was a student in Coventry and I shared a rented flat with some other guys above an independent bookmakers shop.

From our front room we could see the punters turning up on foot or on their bikes. From the kitchen at the back we could see down onto the rear parking area (behind high locked gates) where the bookie kept his new Jaguar car.

The bookie will always win - over time.

You may have the odd win, but you will never beat them over the long haul.

Depends how much money you play around with, i tend to go through about a tenner in a month, and thats it, i don't expect to win anything, it's a couple of quid a week to make things a bit more interesting.

Got an 8 game Acca today with, Hull, City, Leicester, Newcastle, spurs, chelsea, villa and Everton.

also chucked £2 e/w on an acca for all the races at cheltenham today, if they all come in 50k for me :D (not going to happen mind)

so for 6 quid i get a good bit of entertaiment and a potential return.

I don't tend to bet on city games, but have never had a problem betting against city as at least it makes it a bit better if we loose, although today i've gone for us to win :o

its always a tricky 1 betting against your team I know. I'll be happy if we win of course. A defeat means i'll win £75 as a consalation.

indeed, next time we get to a big final I will be putting a very large stake on the opposition to win... Win Win for me, if City were to win a trophy/play off final I would be the happiest man around and if we lost but I made a killing it'd soften the blow enough to hold back the tears.

Last time I had a bet, not that it was ever very often, was at the last Workd Cup. Italy were priced at something like 3-1 to beat Paraguay. In a two(well three) horse race it seemed like a good deal.

Of course it's only a good deal if the bet comes in, and it didn't. So £200 worse off and I haven't bet since.

I think people have different views on betting due to what they spend. For example people have mentioned they've spent hugely and not won. I however spend £5 every premier league gameweek, on accumulators for big money of 5 different £1 bets. Its a good laugh, makes the weekends more entertaining and I really don't lose much if they don't come in. Occasionally for special games I'll put a one off bet on but never ever more than a £10 bet and that in itself only happens about 3 or 4 times a season. I definitely don't have the balls to spend 100's of pounds on bets and I'll never let myself do it. Keep it small and it remains fun (any possibly profitable) and that's it.

I think people have different views on betting due to what they spend. For example people have mentioned they've spent hugely and not won. I however spend £5 every premier league gameweek, on accumulators for big money of 5 different £1 bets. Its a good laugh, makes the weekends more entertaining and I really don't lose much if they don't come in. Occasionally for special games I'll put a one off bet on but never ever more than a £10 bet and that in itself only happens about 3 or 4 times a season. I definitely don't have the balls to spend 100's of pounds on bets and I'll never let myself do it. Keep it small and it remains fun (any possibly profitable) and that's it.

That's exactly what I do. It's only a fiver a week and it makes watching Soccer Saturday one hell of a lot more interesting!

Archived