IGNORED

Mcinnes - Credit Where Credit's Due

LondonBristolian

I have lost confidence with Del over last few weeks to be honest - but cannot fault him today. No one predicted such big changes to the starting line up,and boy has he delivered ! Fantastic management and trust in the squad as a whole. Regardless of what happens this season he is the man to lead us next year- inspirational second half with substitutions at the right time- absolutely loved it !

Not meaning to sound arrogant but though I didn't predict all of them, they were expected. He said before the Forest game that he would make full use of his squad and he did. Fontaine for Carey was obvious - Carey can't manage 2 games in 3 days and Fontaine's suspension was over. Similarly McCallister is no spring chicken and was never going to start both games. Albert was sub against Forest and so a nailed on starter v Cov. Stead was taken off on Saturday blatantly to keep him fresh enough to start against Coventry. Wood was played for 90 minutes at Forest, and Pitman didn't get on - again a pretty clear indicator for the Coventry game. It was clear Woolford wouldn't start on the left - I assumed Hogan would play but Pearson was fit. Cisse was always a likely bench player for a must win home game against one of the division's weaker sides.

All this shows to me that Del is a smart enough manager to have faith in more than just his first 11 - we played 18 players in those 2 games. We were fresher at the end and that was no accident. If we finish above Coventry it will be down to how his planning and preparation for the 2 games. He avoided the pitfalls of 2 games close together and exploited his opponents weaknesses. The sign of an excellent manager.

On a side note, I think Skuse is the ideal partner for Kilkenny in a 4 4 2. I thought they both played well yesterday. Skuse was also good next to Hartley - he seems to like having a more dominant character next to him as opposed to Marv who just runs around a lot. If Del can improve our movement off the ball, Kilkenny will be able to show his abilities better. People get frustrated with him keeping the ball, but a lot of the time that is because he has so few options from our static midfield and attack. It's not about running around like headless chickens, more about clever movement at the right time. Some of our attacking players don't seem to have grasped this hence you see Kilkenny telling them where to run.

Archived