IGNORED

Going Vinyl

Robin101

I've just turned 17 and happen to have become intrigued by this ancient technology. Until now, all my music has been mostly mp3 with some CDs, but it kind of struck me that my music collection (which isn't insubstantial) doesn't technically exist. I don't HAVE a collection as such. And that's lame! There's something weirdly attractive about being able to hold your music. So, anyway, I've bought some of my favourite albums on vinyl now (in the post!) and have been rooting through my parents record collection (part of growing up, right?). The turntable is ok, but pretty cheap and plastic. I guess i should post this in a music forum, but any advice on a decent turntable for a 'beginner' in vinyl?

Also, anyone out there still big into vinyl? Why? And what's your most prized record?

No vinyl anymore, my musical tastes change so when I had a reasonable number of CDs I found I was always listening to those rather than vinyl so after a few years of not listening to them I gave my vinyl to the charity shop.

I haven't moved on from CDs to downloads, for the reason you cite about there being no physical presence from the downloads whereas the CDs look good on a shelf and in the car.

No idea about turntables, mine came with my Aiwa music centre.

Hey Vinyl is a rare breed now and as you probaly know there arent many record stores in Bristol that supply Vinyl, especially of recent release. HMV and Fopp used to be good for this, but now it seems the only people who purchase vinyls are those who respect the real tradition of turntabilism and I would say they would have to be fairly successful and male a decent wage in Djying to be able to pay for new release vinyls in bulk. I make music myself, Hip Hop instrumentals, so Im into crate digging and its great as its part of the process, the vinyls are usually second hand and from the soul and funk eras so the prices aren't bad at all. The good and appealing thing about Vinyls are the quality and the installed natural artefacts of a record that can be heard real well in comparison with highly compressed MP3 files, they tend to lose a lot of valuable information, but can still have great quality depending on its encoding tpe. Vinyls are also cool because you can find some rare records, well thats my reasons for liking vinyls, sometimes put off if theyre too expensive and I could find a decent wav or mp3 file

as for turntable choice it depends on what you want to use it for, for your purpose of just listening I would say a USB turntable will be cool, it good because you can then store the records on your computer and then store them to an ipod. Just have a decent needle and I know this will sound silly, but make sure you know how to place the needle on the record properly because a replacement of a needle can in some cases be more expensive than a turntable, but most turntables wil be cool to just play the record

Technics still make a good range of turntables that won't destroy your bank balance. Richer Sounds is probably your best bet for buying one to take away.

As for buying vinyl - I've only ever used eBay in recent years to get the hard to find 60s garage/rare groove/obscure 80s indie that floats my boat.

My vinyl collection has been in storage back in England for some time, and probably has nothing more recent than early 1990s: I look forward to the day that I finally get a new deck and can work through it again. Only today I got an email about a vinyl remastering of Script of the Bridge that I am tempted to buy.

I've just turned 17 and happen to have become intrigued by this ancient technology. Until now, all my music has been mostly mp3 with some CDs, but it kind of struck me that my music collection (which isn't insubstantial) doesn't technically exist. I don't HAVE a collection as such. And that's lame! There's something weirdly attractive about being able to hold your music. So, anyway, I've bought some of my favourite albums on vinyl now (in the post!) and have been rooting through my parents record collection (part of growing up, right?). The turntable is ok, but pretty cheap and plastic. I guess i should post this in a music forum, but any advice on a decent turntable for a 'beginner' in vinyl?

Also, anyone out there still big into vinyl? Why? And what's your most prized record?

My most prized & valuable piece of vinyl is "God Save the Queen" single by the Sex Pistols on the original EMI label. Last time it was valued for insurance it was worth circa 8k.

Went to a record fair in the Colston Hall Saturday just gone. Bloody hell, bit High Fidelity! I got the feeling they were all judging you, even if they didn't say anything! Also, everyone seemed to be searching, rather than browsing, whereas i was just a bit "hmm...80's new wave...ok".

For those who still buy, where do you mainly purchase from? I always imagined everyone had a preferred record shop, but maybe that's just a romanticised view - what, with the Internet and everything nowadays!

Oh, p.s. bcfcbs20, thanks for the link. If I save up a but more, then they look good. But for now I've just stolen the parents'!

Get yourself a nice second hand project debut turntable, a nice amp and speakers. You'll be surprised at the quality of sound especially with a good pickup

Against ferocious provocation, i've still got my record collection (secretly still growing). Jazz, Soul, raregroove, old skool hip hop to name a few. Must have over 5,000....Got some serious rarities.....(only upto say £500). My original mono copy with songsheet of The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis, Bold as love and Are you experienced? are a couple of my faves....

Went to a record fair in the Colston Hall Saturday just gone. Bloody hell, bit High Fidelity! I got the feeling they were all judging you, even if they didn't say anything! Also, everyone seemed to be searching, rather than browsing, whereas i was just a bit "hmm...80's new wave...ok".

For those who still buy, where do you mainly purchase from? I always imagined everyone had a preferred record shop, but maybe that's just a romanticised view - what, with the Internet and everything nowadays!

Oh, p.s. bcfcbs20, thanks for the link. If I save up a but more, then they look good. But for now I've just stolen the parents'!

I used to get records from HMV and Hard To Find Records they are still going but for some reason the website isn't working.

Hey Vinyl is a rare breed now and as you probaly know there arent many record stores in Bristol that supply Vinyl, especially of recent release. HMV and Fopp used to be good for this, but now it seems the only people who purchase vinyls are those who respect the real tradition of turntabilism and I would say they would have to be fairly successful and male a decent wage in Djying to be able to pay for new release vinyls in bulk. I make music myself, Hip Hop instrumentals, so Im into crate digging and its great as its part of the process, the vinyls are usually second hand and from the soul and funk eras so the prices aren't bad at all. The good and appealing thing about Vinyls are the quality and the installed natural artefacts of a record that can be heard real well in comparison with highly compressed MP3 files, they tend to lose a lot of valuable information, but can still have great quality depending on its encoding tpe. Vinyls are also cool because you can find some rare records, well thats my reasons for liking vinyls, sometimes put off if theyre too expensive and I could find a decent wav or mp3 file

Link to your music? There ain't no shame in self promotion!

Technics still make a good range of turntables that won't destroy your bank balance.

aple.jpg

orange.jpg

Technics are indestructible.

I used to have a set of 1210's when i used to be into my hardcore + drum and bass - only got about 100 vinyl but some of the picture discs were awesome.

Also had a copy of an old Run DMC album. Was great fun creating some mash ups and attempting to scratch my dads old vinyls to his horror

Ahhh the good ole days (2005)... :)

This is one of my favourite tunes on vinyl top tune. Good luck trying find it rarer than rocking horse shit although if your quick it's going dirt cheap what a bargain. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hi-Gate-I-Can-Hear-Voices-Caned-and-Unable-House-Vinyl-Classic-Incentive-/271128106592?pt=UK_Records&hash=item3f207e9660

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAxBDMxq3Q&feature=player_embedded

I have ELO's "Out of the blue" album on blue vinyl. My son has it on CD.

"Mr Blue Sky" is the final track on side 1 of the LP, but simply track 6 on the CD. As a result I had to explain to my son that the electronic words at the end of the track say "Please turn me over". Then I had to explain why we had to turn over.

My wife has a pink coloured Elvis record. I've been told that coloured vinyl doesn't reproduce sound so well as black, but they are rarer and therefore more valuable to a collector.

There are some players on the market that incorporate turntable & needle for vinyl, plus a CD player and a cassette player.

I have a few records for sale if anyone is interested.

Yes, Tormato

Siouxsie and the Banshees, The staircase (single)

Genesis, And then there were three

Pink floyd, Dark side

Third world, Journey to Addis

Strawbs, Grave new world

Dennis Brown, Words of Wisdom

Peter Tosh, Bush doctor

Bob Marley, Best of

Feel free to make me a offer for any / all of them. Cheers.

IMO for home use and for very good value, you won't do much better than getting hold of a Pro-Ject turntable. The clarity, definition and stereo imaging that these basic turntables produce is quite amazing. Match it to a decent amp and speakers and it will sound richer, warmer and more realistic than a cd and far superior to mp3s.

When I changed from a Technics to a Pro-Ject and then compared the sound of my old vinyl LPs to the same Albums digitally remastered on CDs that I had, I was so surprised that the Pro-Ject made the CDs sound inferior, that I went out and bought a much more expensive CD player to try to match the quality of the vinyl sound!

CDs for convenience, mp3 for ease and variety of storage, but vinyl for quality.

Archived