IGNORED

Adam Le Fondre

Taylor10

No thanks to Danny Haynes. He isn't a championship player plain and simple. The players don't have to be signed from league 2, could be league one or even the conference. Just because they are playing at that level doesn't mean that is the standard they should be at.

We signed Maynard and Adomah from league 2. Both pretty successful signings for us and I can't believe it isn't an area we have paid more attention to when looking for new players.

Lower league does not mean just league 2. As I have stated, league one and conference fall into that bracket. I think all of us would be more accepting of where we are if we had a squad of young and inexperienced players that were hungry and wanted to play for the club, as opposed to the journeymen type player we have signed for years.

As it has been mentioned on here, signing that kind of player offers minimal risk and if it doesn't work out then fair enough,but the overall package and re sale value will be more beneficial to us thats for sure.

For too long now our transfer/scouting policy hasn't been as good as it could be.

JCR, Stewart, Haynes, Adebola, Nyatanga, Woolford, to name but a few are players we have signed from clubs that at that time were in and around us. With the exception of Wooly, all of the others were surplus to requirements at their clubs, so if they are not good enough for them why should they be for us?

I understand players fall out of favour but for too long this is the route we have been taking. Journeymen players who go from club to club on a decent wage and are often not good enough.

For me, there is absolutely no risk what so ever signing young and hungry talent. I would much rather see those type of signings than the ones we have become all to familiar with.

Anybody else watched Mike Jones play?

A left winger & Central midfielder that was Bury's last player for the last two seasons getting them promoted. He then turned down a move to Barnsley to go to Sheffield Wednesday instead.

He's class & could do a job for us easily. Just the player we could do with. Has an engine, strength, pace, skill & wants to improve upon himself!

even more to the point then that he is another example of a league 2 striker who succeded at championship level, proved when he scored what was it 15/16 goals in his first season.

I couldn't agree more. Pitman scored 13 from 21 starts in his first season for us, not a bad return at all. I've been supportive of a transfer system involving scouring the lower leagues for talent for a long time, it will stop you signing a lot of "big-name" bullshit like JCR and even if every signing does not work out as others have said you will not be taking a huge hit. I'm amazed it took Le Fondre as long as it did to find a way our of League Two and I think a lot of people knew he could score goals at a higher level. I mean would you rather sign a 20+ goal striker from League 2 or a random from abroad such as Styvar for double or even triple the price? Ir's staggering that not all managers agree imo!

Plenty on here said we should sign him. The question now is, who is the next League 2 gem we ought to be looking at? Previous posters are right though - these players are no good without service. We need decent full-backs, and a decent midfield to go with them.

Mind you, plenty on here said we shouldn't sign Lambert or Holt.

Players in League One who I believe could do a job in the Championship now or in a few years become good Championship players:

Brentford:

N/A

Simon Moore (22) - Goalkeeper

Maybe we should be looking to recruit to our scouting network, e.g. whoever spotted Simon Cox & Charlie Austin for Swindle didn't do a bad job ...

He is doing something right. PFA League 2 Team of the year last time around and just signed a new contract at Bury. 22 and over 150 appearances already

Liam Sercombe of Exeter is another young player with loads of games under his belt, just 21 and has played over 130 games. Would be nice if City would get a scout looking at these two players.

I couldn't agree more. Pitman scored 13 from 21 starts in his first season for us, not a bad return at all. I've been supportive of a transfer system involving scouring the lower leagues for talent for a long time, it will stop you signing a lot of "big-name" bullshit like JCR and even if every signing does not work out as others have said you will not be taking a huge hit. I'm amazed it took Le Fondre as long as it did to find a way our of League Two and I think a lot of people knew he could score goals at a higher level. I mean would you rather sign a 20+ goal striker from League 2 or a random from abroad such as Styvar for double or even triple the price? Ir's staggering that not all managers agree imo!

+1 I agree 100%

Danny Haynes on his day caused full backs alot of problems with his pace, only thing was it was too much of a rare occasion. Bit of work to his end product and hes a decent player imo.

Your easily pleased then! He hasn't set the world alight at Barnsley, whether you like him or not, due to his inconsistency he is just simply not a championship player. He would do well in league one.

People need to get a little perspective here. Le Fondre is a good player, yes. At the time did we need a striker? We had Maynard, Pitman and Stead so no. People demanding that we sign every decent player is what gets clubs into financial trouble. We do need to be scouting the lower leagues as there is plenty of talent down there, but we need to prioritise in terms of positions etc that we sign such as full backs etc. Also Le Fondre was getting alot of attention from other clubs and realistically are we more attractive than Reading et al? No. So we'd need to compensate by offering higher wages which is something that I don't want to see.

People need to get a little perspective here. Le Fondre is a good player, yes. At the time did we need a striker? We had Maynard, Pitman and Stead so no. People demanding that we sign every decent player is what gets clubs into financial trouble. We do need to be scouting the lower leagues as there is plenty of talent down there, but we need to prioritise in terms of positions etc that we sign such as full backs etc. Also Le Fondre was getting alot of attention from other clubs and realistically are we more attractive than Reading et al? No. So we'd need to compensate by offering higher wages which is something that I don't want to see.

True, but more to the point why did we miss out on him prior to this season? He has been banging in the goals for a few seasons. This season we didn't need a striker, but we have done before. We didn't need Ryan Taylor for 150k did we? For 150k more we could have had Le Fondre. Hardly breaking the bank paying that bit extra if you are prepared to sign a relative novice for half the price.

Also you need four strikers ideally, not the 3 we had before Taylor. Fair enough with all the clubs that may have been after him this season it might not have been as financially viable.

True, but more to the point why did we miss out on him prior to this season? He has been banging in the goals for a few seasons. This season we didn't need a striker, but we have done before. We didn't need Ryan Taylor for 150k did we? For 150k more we could have had Le Fondre. Hardly breaking the bank paying that bit extra if you are prepared to sign a relative novice for half the price.

Also you need four strikers ideally, not the 3 we had before Taylor. Fair enough with all the clubs that may have been after him this season it might not have been as financially viable.

Thing is, you can ask the question why were all the other Championship clubs not going in for him prior to this summer, like you said it was well known he was a goalscorer. I don't know whether there was any communication with his club/agent/himself saying that he wants to stay there and develop for another season or so?..these things do happen. If the club wasn't aware of Le Fondre or didn't have him on our radar then it's embarressing to be be honest: I'm just thinking of reasons why we didn't approach him like we had too many strikers etc.

Thing is, you can ask the question why were all the other Championship clubs not going in for him prior to this summer, like you said it was well known he was a goalscorer. I don't know whether there was any communication with his club/agent/himself saying that he wants to stay there and develop for another season or so?..these things do happen. If the club wasn't aware of Le Fondre or didn't have him on our radar then it's embarressing to be be honest: I'm just thinking of reasons why we didn't approach him like we had too many strikers etc.

Possibly yeah. He is quite a similar striker to Maynard and those two probably wouldn't have been as effective as a pair maybe? I think he did have interest for a while, not just this season but previously. In fact I think he may have turned down a few offers before.

The reason no-one went in for Le Fondre before they did, is that they all knew that Ryan Taylor made all of his goals for him, and that Ryan Taylor was the guy to go for!

Keith Millen now scouts for Blackpool, Holloway couldn't have a better guy.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

I remember the talk was when we signed him that he was the reason Adam Le Fondre got all his goals for Rotherham, it's funny caus Le Fondre had 4 goals in 5 games for Rotherham this season and now 4 goals in 7 appearances for Reading, and Taylor isn't in the first four strikers at our club. Did we just sign a league two quality player? I'm worried that we have.

The reason no-one went in for Le Fondre before they did, is that they all knew that Ryan Taylor made all of his goals for him, and that Ryan Taylor was the guy to go for!

Keith Millen now scouts for Blackpool, Holloway couldn't have a better guy.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

I remember the talk was when we signed him that he was the reason Adam Le Fondre got all his goals for Rotherham, it's funny caus Le Fondre had 4 goals in 5 games for Rotherham this season and now 4 goals in 7 appearances for Reading, and Taylor isn't in the first four strikers at our club. Did we just sign a league two quality player? I'm worried that we have.

I can only assume you are joking. Keith himself said Taylor along with Bolasie were not quite ready for the first team when he signed them both. Clearly being top scorer for Reading Le Fondre has really struggled in the championship without Taylor!

Liam Sercombe of Exeter is another young player with loads of games under his belt, just 21 and has played over 130 games. Would be nice if City would get a scout looking at these two players.

I watch Exeter when I can't get to city away games a lot and he can be impressive on his day but does seem to have quite a few off games whenever i've seen him, he might flourish in a better side but I'm not 100% sure on his quality.

I watch Exeter when I can't get to city away games a lot and he can be impressive on his day but does seem to have quite a few off games whenever i've seen him, he might flourish in a better side but I'm not 100% sure on his quality.

Not many 21 year olds are really consistent, if he's got talent that will come through as his career goes on I believe.

Archived