IGNORED

We Could Only Dream Of Someone Like Steve Lansdown!

poor relations

Firstly, well done for surviving relegation. My phone as been unindated by your mob winding me up in the last 30 minutes. Of course the fans, players and club played a vital part in this revival. However, it is Mr. Lansdown you ought to thank. It is quite inevitable when teams like Coventry (player embargo), Portsmouth (administration) and Doncaster ( small budget) was trying to compete in the final stages. Your budget with players like Woods, Stead, Pitman showed.

For me as a GASHEAD it raises big questions about the future of many teams in the next 5 years. We spent 4 seasons at division one level and spent fairly big on Lambert, Duffy, Hughes, Williams at what cost ?. The cost being around losses of £2 million a season and currently debts of around £8 million split between generous giving by the directors ( around £4 million ) and repayments ( around £4 million). Let's hope we get some good news on the ground situation and we could support each other's bids.

But we just can't carry on anymore with these BIG spends and the next few years will be about balancing the books. The gap between us could even get bigger and I suppose the question to sensible CITY fans is : How healthy is this for our CITY ?.

Most certainly I would love to sit in a decent ground and watch championship football. But how likely is this when the tables are beginning to show the BIG and SMALL. Is it a coincidence the top three are Charlton,United & Wednesday in the table below ??.

It's STEVE you need to thank for CHAMPIONSHIP football and what I would do to have even half the investment.

And finally - What are your views on the rugby situation ?. If Bristol did go up. Do you think the budget that would have to match Wasp and Newcastle affect your playing budget ?

Could he afford to fund both clubs at a high level ??.

In the meantime - well done !!.

Firstly, well done for surviving relegation. My phone as been unindated by your mob winding me up in the last 30 minutes. Of course the fans, players and club played a vital part in this revival. However, it is Mr. Lansdown you ought to thank. It is quite inevitable when teams like Coventry (player embargo), Portsmouth (administration) and Doncaster ( small budget) was trying to compete in the final stages. Your budget with players like Woods, Stead, Pitman showed.

For me as a GASHEAD it raises big questions about the future of many teams in the next 5 years. We spent 4 seasons at division one level and spent fairly big on Lambert, Duffy, Hughes, Williams at what cost ?. The cost being around losses of £2 million a season and currently debts of around £8 million split between generous giving by the directors ( around £4 million ) and repayments ( around £4 million). Let's hope we get some good news on the ground situation and we could support each other's bids.

But we just can't carry on anymore with these BIG spends and the next few years will be about balancing the books. The gap between us could even get bigger and I suppose the question to sensible CITY fans is : How healthy is this for our CITY ?.

Most certainly I would love to sit in a decent ground and watch championship football. But how likely is this when the tables are beginning to show the BIG and SMALL. Is it a coincidence the top three are Charlton,United & Wednesday in the table below ??.

It's STEVE you need to thank for CHAMPIONSHIP football and what I would do to have even half the investment.

And finally - What are your views on the rugby situation ?. If Bristol did go up. Do you think the budget that would have to match Wasp and Newcastle affect your playing budget ?

We haven't survived just yet pal, but respect for your post.

Sensible questions about football financing, for another day maybe.

Always get flamed for this, but would always rather see a local lad wearing a Rovers scarf around town than a plastic wearing a Man U shirt, so good luck to you as well (but not to much of course).

Not safe yet of course - close, but no cigar!

Always get flamed for this, but would always rather see a local lad wearing a Rovers scarf around town than a plastic wearing a Man U shirt, so good luck to you as well (but not to much of course).

Couldn't agree more. I have tried to explain to my seven year old, who is a Dulloman ST holder but is trying to switch allegiance to Chelski, that if everybody supported Chelski, the football league, and hence the Chelskis and Manures of this world wouldn't exist either.

But is he going to continue funding a championship club and potentially a massive step up to rugby Premier League football ?. I was amazed to find Gloucester rugby is as big as you!.

Maybe he as the ability to fund both?.

I think this whole post is shocking. A gashead that can string two sentences together and make a cogent well thought out post. Whatever next?

Seriously though, I think the figures quoted here are frightening and indicative of the fract the current league structure is getting harder and harder to maintain. The new wage cap may make a difference but may also be too little too late for some clubs. I hope the majority of clubs see it as a much needed chance to review how they manage their finances, but I fear that many of them will just look for ways around the system and try to continue in the same vein.

To try to answer one point, I don't believe the Rugby club will impact us, but then I don't know what the finances are like these days. I have noticed however that companies seem keener to enter into sponsorship packages in rugby and I think Steve will be bringing in support from many other areas to fund his rugby club.

But is he going to continue funding a championship club and potentially a massive step up to rugby Premier League football ?. I was amazed to find Gloucester rugby is as big as you!.

Maybe he as the ability to fund both?.

I think the long term plan is that he won't have to fund either. Bristol is a rugby city really and a decent team with a decent ground (be that at Ashton Vale or your new shed) will get healthy crowds. The challenge is to get a medium sized football club to self finance in the current climate, very difficult. I think SL knows that to do that you need a good ground with other income streams and Premier League football. I don't think the money he's put in so far is an issue, it's how much he's having to put in in 3, 5, 10 years time

I think the long term plan is that he won't have to fund either. Bristol is a rugby city really and a decent team with a decent ground (be that at Ashton Vale or your new shed) will get healthy crowds. The challenge is to get a medium sized football club to self finance in the current climate, very difficult. I think SL knows that to do that you need a good ground with other income streams and Premier League football. I don't think the money he's put in so far is an issue, it's how much he's having to put in in 3, 5, 10 years time

I've never understood this comment, though it gets bandied around so often. I'm sure if research was done that it will show that there are more people in this city watch the round ball game as opposed to the egg chasers.

I've never understood this comment, though it gets bandied around so often. I'm sure if research was done that it will show that there are more people in this city watch the round ball game as opposed to the egg chasers.

The south west has a big rugby reputation and following

I'm sure if you add it up then more people watch (the mighty) Gloucester, B*th and Bristol than watch City & R*vers

At Glaws we get 14 to 16.5k crowds - and if Bristol were in the Prem (which hopefully they will be again next season) then I'm sure they would have more than the G*s currently get. So that's more than us and them without adding in the B*th crowd

Pretty simple maths there fella!

Respect to the op as well, good topic and well written

Bristol a Rugby City? oNly when they are doing well , gates around 4000 in the 2nd tier it would down in the hundreds if they were 4th tier like Rovers and City have benn and the only big big gates thery get are play offs /finals or against Bath & Glos When Half the crowd are visting fans... I went to See Bristol against Gloucester at the Mem a few years ago the gate was 8600 ish and it seemed like most were Gloucester fans.

Rugby and Football are very different in fan culture and club finance and can rarely be compared

As for the OP , its well put...

Both clubs would be right in the doo doo if it wasnt for Landsdown/Higgs ect covering the Debts... football is about to enter a big period of change and i think we will see 10 or more clubs in administration or worse next season

Ruggers club costs peanuts compared with a football club and you have a much great chance of returning a proffit,

Lansdwon will still be funding both but I don't think we'll be throwing stupid wages or contracts around,

Del seems to have his head screwed on where it comes to transfers,

these last few weeks remind me of what happened when Johnson took over, picked up a bit of form then went on a horendous run only to finish strong the following season we got promoted which I doubt will happen this time,

But its intresting that del has picked up 39 points for 2/3's of a season if he was here from the start I think we would be on the 55 points + mark

This is what football is all about... Top post...respect. Just wish more fans of Clubs could chat sensibly.

Tbh... In this day and age i'm suprised City and Rovers are both going for big new Stadiums.

I know in a perfect world it makes sense...but football I believe, is seriously about to implode.

A ground share would have made perfect sense to me. A brand new Stadium, shared by both teams and with other facilities to benefit the Bristol community. It happens in Europe successfully. Tin hat on... I can hear the grenades coming...

The south west has a big rugby reputation and following

I'm sure if you add it up then more people watch (the mighty) Gloucester, B*th and Bristol than watch City & R*vers

At Glaws we get 14 to 16.5k crowds - and if Bristol were in the Prem (which hopefully they will be again next season) then I'm sure they would have more than the G*s currently get. So that's more than us and them without adding in the B*th crowd

Pretty simple maths there fella!

Respect to the op as well, good topic and well written

But you're not actually addressing the comment I made at all there though. My comment was that I didn't understand the whole "Bristol" is a rugby city. All you've done for those "simple maths there fella" is widened the area there to make it the south west....which if you want to do that then you need to add in south west football clubs too, not just leave it at City & Rovers....which would possibly put football ahead again.

And in any case I feelings were based on more than the numbers who attend professional games. I still believe that if you add up the number of people in Bristol who both play and watch football (at any level) in BRISTOL, and then do the same thing for rugby that football would end up with the bigger number, thereby calling into question the assertion that Bristol is a rugby city.

To be fair, I haven't lived in Bristol for many years but just from the cross section of extended family there are as many rugby fans as football fans. In fact, breaking down into City and Rovers, there are more rugby fans than City fans and only 1 Rovers fan (he married in so its not too bad). I definitely agree that if City were in the Premier League we'd get far bigger crowds than the rugby club but conversely we only get 14-15k in the championship and if they were in their top flight they'd probably beat that. I guess if you include all the Man Utd and Chelsea fans though, football would outnumber rugby, just not in the ratios seen elsewhere in the country

This is what football is all about... Top post...respect. Just wish more fans of Clubs could chat sensibly.

Tbh... In this day and age i'm suprised City and Rovers are both going for big new Stadiums.

I know in a perfect world it makes sense...but football I believe, is seriously about to implode.

A ground share would have made perfect sense to me. A brand new Stadium, shared by both teams and with other facilities to benefit the Bristol community. It happens in Europe successfully. Tin hat on... I can hear the grenades coming...

I agree to a certain extent but I would only want to see Rovers move into OUR stadium, not a joint project. We're that much bigger than them at the minute (no offence to OP- I appreciate how arogant that sounds!) that it would be the only arrangement that makes sense. While that would bring extra income, it also extends Rovers potential for supporters to the whole city. I guess ideally the Council would build a stadium in the city centre but obviously that would never happen

But you're not actually addressing the comment I made at all there though. My comment was that I didn't understand the whole "Bristol" is a rugby city. All you've done for those "simple maths there fella" is widened the area there to make it the south west....which if you want to do that then you need to add in south west football clubs too, not just leave it at City & Rovers....which would possibly put football ahead again.

And in any case I feelings were based on more than the numbers who attend professional games. I still believe that if you add up the number of people in Bristol who both play and watch football (at any level) in BRISTOL, and then do the same thing for rugby that football would end up with the bigger number, thereby calling into question the assertion that Bristol is a rugby city.

Ok, but City & Rovers have a far wider support base than just Bristol, which is why I said South West

Plenty of Rovers fans in Bath, and plenty of City up to Gloucester and surronding areas

Where I grew up it's all Gloucester shirts, I rarely see a football shirt when I'm in Bath. The same may not be true in Bristol, after all, there are no professional football clubs in Gloucester or Bath, but South West as whole (which include Bristol) I would say more people watch professional (again, what I said) rugby than football. Add Cheltenham Town and Bath City in, I'm confident that more people will still watch rugby than football. Cheltenham Town could get to the Championship and no way would they beat Gloucester Rugby for attendances

Anyway, don't want to argue about football and rugby, I just don't get why you Bristolians don't embrace the game like others in the area do. The Premier League needs a strong Bristol team - best game of the season for a Gloucester fan!

Welcome sensible comment from a slag? Whatever next!

I think football is becoming more polarised than ever, so that the Premier League will only ever be won by 4 or 5 clubs, with maybe another 10 contesting Europa League/Carling Cup/FA Cup.

Then the Premier/championship yo-yo clubs and so on down the leagues with the only way of breaking out from the lower leagues is via a new stadium or massive investor (Swansea, Reading, Wigan)

In response to OP, I see City as Championship/League 1 yo-yo club, with an occasional (once in 30 years dip into the Prem) and R*vers as a League 1/ League 2 yo-yo club.

I don't think the success of the rugby team will affect City as it's mostly a different crowd.

I live in what is considered a 'posh' village, but it's football everyone talks about in the pubs, not rugby. I only know one local rugby fan - and he's Irish.

Gloucester might be an exception - there isn't much to do there apart from murdering etc :ph34r: - but in Bristol and I think in most other West Country communities (apart from Bath) football fans will always outnumber rugby fans.

Fair point but they are reliant on you getting a new ground, crowds of around 20,000 plus and more realistic playing budgets. I understand CITY by this summer would have lost close to £40 million in 3/4 years. Also I wouldn't rule out the possible impact of the 'white knight' and him investing in the rugby club. For sure as reported by Hugh Godwin in the independent, " Newcastle rugby will try to challenge a possible promotion bid by Bristol rasing the budget to around a minimum of £3 million as starters.

According to other rugby forums this could increase by other clubs pushing it to around £4 million to stop Bristol. Of course I'm in no place as a Rovers fan to find any of this remotely funny.

The words of Hank Julicher the very rich ceo Blue Sky international, who was going to be the so called Port vale saviour ring true.

Hank , " We only need around £5 million please sir "

Reply, " I would have to be crazy or on drugs to agree to such a thing".

Maybe we all need a reality check..

I love all this balencing the books stuff that us football fans have wanted quite a while now. Unfortunately what balancing the books will mean is not clubs reducing there cost but clubs increasing there income, time to pay the piper for the debt no fan asked for.

Typical Gashead, forever trying to p*ss on our parade. Their latest thing to cling onto is "Lansdown doesn't love you any more he loves rugby". It is utter tosh, SL says himself he is a City fan before anything else and he is determined to see City become an established Premier League team. I genuinely think City will get the new stadium in time and I think then SL will increase the funding and push for the top flight. As for Rovers, they will yo-yo between the 3rd and 4th Divisions until such a time as a Gashead 'Steve Lansdown' emerges to fund their ambitions.

+1

On question of finances. it will be alright on the night. What night that is though is anybody's guess. Football will clear up the mess of that there is no doubt and only time will tell how many teams fall by the way side in the meantime. I do not share the gloom of the Gas fan on big clubs getting more powerful.. it goes in spasms for want of a better word. i can quite easily see the Gas getting into the Championship given the correct manager, you may already have him, and if your owners are determined, smart and have sufficient capital then i am sure they will succeed with the new stadium. Our City needs two strong teams with two spanking stadiums and we will both be the stronger for it together. Good luck to the Gas I always want them to do well just so long as they remain 1 place behind us.

I love all this balencing the books stuff that us football fans have wanted quite a while now. Unfortunately what balancing the books will mean is not clubs reducing there cost but clubs increasing there income, time to pay the piper for the debt no fan asked for.

Lets return to the German model discussion again then. €15 for a bundesliga game and they make a profit.. go study a few examples and see how they do it. it CAN be done.

Archived