IGNORED

Deanooo

SuperRed

Thought he typified the whole teams display last night when he launched himself head first to gather the ball at a West Ham players feet. Some people were worried when he came into the team, but he's shown he's a good capable goalkeeper at this level.

He sure has done, Taken his chance when it has come along and has proven he's a capable keeper in the championship.

Who needs David James ???

Cant deny he's playing well. Very brave when he went ground at the strikers feet.

But he almost did a "david james" - when he punched the ball.....

Nothing major and deserves his place at the moment - cant say i'm convinced yet tho.

The way he threw himself at the feet of about 3 players to claim the ball in the last minute was nothing short of heroic. Some aspects of his game are very strong, while others do remain weak, but he has shown since coming back into the team at Forest that he does appear to have improved significently since he played almost every game in 09/10.

Gerken isn't the best 'keeper in the world, but I've never been a big fan of James since he signed for us. Sure he's made some good saves and won us a fair few points, but his decision making is totally shot. When Gerken threw himself at the ball at the end last night he could have easily had his face kicked off. If James had been in goal I don't think he'd have come for it, and it might well have ended up going in.

The save at Forest from that header was stunning as well. Well done Deano, keep going lad.

I'm glad someone else had started this thread as I am one of his fans, and I didn't want to gloat.

I am not going to go over old ground but I do not think it is coincidence that results have improved since he came into the team. Before he came in James was shipping 3 goals a game, Deano 1 goal a game.

However, I do not think the coaching has had anything to do with his form, that has never changed and I feel he was 'partly' responsible for their goal last night. Ok Agougou missed his header presenting Tomkins with a clean header but this was inside the 6 yard box and my belief is that anything in the air inside the 6 yrd box is the goalies.

The 'punch' was nothing like a DJ punch as it went the right way - away from goal and was also brave as 20stone of Carew was bearing down on him. Aswell as the dive at the feet he also made an excellent save at the near post - how many times was DJ beaten at the near post - too often and usually from further away.

Get the coaches to encourage coming for crosses more often which he did when he initially came into the team and we only need to look for a back up keeper next season. IMO

If he improves his kicking (which is currently appalling) then I would perhaps consider him as a long term number 1...but that hasnt improved since he was our number 1 a couple of years back.

I dont remember the last keeper we had who could kick well...James/Basso/Deano/Phillips/Welch were all pretty poor in that side of their game. Cant really remember what Mercer's was like?!

If he improves his kicking (which is currently appalling) then I would perhaps consider him as a long term number 1...but that hasnt improved since he was our number 1 a couple of years back.

I dont remember the last keeper we had who could kick well...James/Basso/Deano/Phillips/Welch were all pretty poor in that side of their game. Cant really remember what Mercer's was like?!

I don't think his kicking is that bad (Birmingham aside where he must have kicked it out of play 5 times), and he's pretty good with his left foot as well. He get's decent distance to, unlike James.

I personally think David James was part of the problem for how many goals we conceded. The defence and James were always digging at eachother if they made a mistake, and I felt the back four didn't have confidence in their keeper. Since Deano has come in, they have looked very relaxed and composed.

I personally think David James was part of the problem for how many goals we conceded. The defence and James were always digging at eachother if they made a mistake, and I felt the back four didn't have confidence in their keeper. Since Deano has come in, they have looked very relaxed and composed.

Quite. It's no coincidence that Deano + Amougou = a much tighter defence.

You know James wouldn't have dived at the feet of Carew like Dean and we would probably have lost that game.

I'm pleased he's doing well - he's taken this chance full on and performed admirably, unlike the last stint he had in the team under Millen. I was dissapointed by his performance at Blackpool, considering things had been going well up until the Swindon league cup game.

My concern is that McInnes seems very reluctant to praise him for a good performance. Gerken was definite MOTM at Forest, yet McInnes didn't really seem bothered by the number of excellent saves Gerken made to maintain the shut out. I know it's important not to "big up" a player too much, but keepers rarely get the praise they deserve - especially when you're a number two coming into the team in place of a former England stopper!

If Gerken continues to improve steadily then he could be the reliable and dependent sort of keeper we need - not an eccentric showman or a marquee signing, just someone plucked from the lower leagues who has earned their place in the team. But it is crucial that he continues to develop and doesn't stagnate.

Gerken has done a brilliant job since coming into the side for James. Maybe he could of done more for there goal but he had a good game. I think having Andre has helped us a lot and also Gerken's trust in the defence rather than running out of his box everytime the ball goes near the box.

His kicking hasn't been bad but then again maybe I'm just used to James woeful kicking that anything is better than his.

I think we defiantly need competition for Gerken but if we don't splash out on a new keeper. Gerken more than deserves to start next season as number one keeper.

Amougou has been the main reason for our improvement. We've need that sort of defender since caulker.

Forest game aside, i dont think Gerken's had a major impact - though he has done what was needed.

This is on the money.

Gerken has shown himself to be a reasonable back up keeper. But you wouldn't want to trust him over 46 games.

Archived