IGNORED

Deanooo

SuperRed

I reckon dropping James for Gerken will be one of the jey decisions that will keep us. Fair play to him for seemingly improving his game whilst being behind James, especially in being more commanding with crosses etc. People say that he isn't the long term solution, but it is easy to forget his age. He has alot of experience at this level for his age and in my opinion is improving. Would definitely like to keep him at the club. Getting someone to challenge for the Number 1 with him next season is a must though. Hopefully with that competition it will drive him and the other on to improve their game even more.

• SC&T Board Members

Not only is he good enough, he has clearly given the team spirit a massive lift. There's a "togetherness" out there now that wasn't there before.

Spot on. There's a German football magazine, the equivalent of 'When Saturday Comes', that I sometimes read. It's called '11 Freunde' (11 Friends). The title is taken from a famous quote from a German book on football tactics: "Elf Freunde müsst ihr sein, wenn ihr Siege wollt erringen" = "You need to be 11 friends if you want to win games". Team spirit cannot be underestimated.

He has had several very good performances since his return and can only help his career here at Bristol City, as well as a more solid defence/midfield being realised, i've always been a fan of Gerken as he never makes many 'calamitous' mistakes! Keep it up and claim the number 1 jersey for next season deano!

I reckon dropping James for Gerken will be one of the jey decisions that will keep us. Fair play to him for seemingly improving his game whilst being behind James, especially in being more commanding with crosses etc. People say that he isn't the long term solution, but it is easy to forget his age. He has alot of experience at this level for his age and in my opinion is improving. Would definitely like to keep him at the club. Getting someone to challenge for the Number 1 with him next season is a must though. Hopefully with that competition it will drive him and the other on to improve their game even more.

Agree.

After Gerken made that incredibly brave head first save on the deck in the final few minutes, one of my City friends made the comment that James would not have done that and he said that with DJ in goal we would probably have lost v WHU.

We will never know, butI think he is right. You would think that a former England goalkeeper with loads of experience would inspire the defence, but I believe the opposite happened. They lost confidence in him. That came to a head with his ghastly blunder v Watford, after which DMC finally saw the light and dropped him.

And after that, when we look back (assuming we stay up) we will almost certainly believe that gaining six points over Easter was the turning point.

We were superb v Cov but actually the performance away v Forest was even more impressive.

And who put in at at least five cracking saves in that game (including a superb tip over the bar from a point blank powerful header from six yards) ??

I think he is capable of being our No 1 keeper next season.

Although - I wish his kicking was as good as Kaspar Schmeichal - the best we have seen at AG this season.

Archived