IGNORED

Derek's Post-Match Interview

RED4LIFE

Just listened to Del Boys Post-Match interview on World and was impressed with what he said and the way he said it.

He wasn't getting carried away with surviving relegation and I loved the fact he said if we are in the same position year after year he doesn't want to be a part of it, which to me shows massive ambition.

Said there is a lot of hard work ahead, and he said we need to add some good players to the ones we already have. Perhaps tellingly, there was a slight slip of the tongue when he said that as at first he said a lot before correcting it to a few good players needed.

Also liked the comment "we have a lot to look forward to next season"

He is obviously not happy to accept anything like the results this season and seems totally determined and committed to driving this club forward, which is exactly what I for one wanted to hear.

Yep, a very 'to the point ' interview with a tinge of relief in it as you'd expect. TF we don't have to go to Turf Moor next week under pressure to get something.

He said all the right things post match but ultimately actions speak lounder than words and we'll have to wait until the summer to see all the movements and crucially who McInnes thinks will strenghthen City's squad by bringing them in.

Agree that actions speak louder than words, but it came across like he didn't really feel like celebrating as it was only the first part of the job done, and there is a long way to go before the club is in a state he will be happy with.

Obviously there will be a lot of player movement in the summer both in and out, which should make it an interesting one for us and a busy one for Del and his staff.

Yep, a very 'to the point ' interview with a tinge of relief in it as you'd expect. TF we don't have to go to Turf Moor next week under pressure to get something.

He said all the right things post match but ultimately actions speak lounder than words and we'll have to wait until the summer to see all the movements and crucially who McInnes thinks will strenghthen City's squad by bringing them in.

Robbored,

You're posts always cause conversation and whilst you've had me tearing my hair out previously, and I'm sure you will again, you seem reasonably balanced in your current outlook.

Rightly so I'd tend to suggest however McInnes came in with a mission to keep us up, which he has done, and he should be congratulated for this.

Whilst you do seem, currently, pretty balanced, you do seem to be holding back universal praise when it is majority due. If, and of course clearly it's a theoretical if, Millen had done that which McInnes had, what do you think your current outlook would be?

My confusion is, to touch on old ground rather than excavate it, you seemed largely negative on Johnson's achievements, eternally patient of Millen's, and now congratulatory whilst guarded of McInnes'.

I cannot help but feel that if Millen was still in charge you would be waxing lyrical of his efforts rather than grounding them with future expectations.

Do you agree / think that's fair?

Robbored,

You're posts always cause conversation and whilst you've had me tearing my hair out previously, and I'm sure you will again, you seem reasonably balanced in your current outlook.

Rightly so I'd tend to suggest however McInnes came in with a mission to keep us up, which he has done, and he should be congratulated for this.

Whilst you do seem, currently, pretty balanced, you do seem to be holding back universal praise when it is majority due. If, and of course clearly it's a theoretical if, Millen had done that which McInnes had, what do you think your current outlook would be?

My confusion is, to touch on old ground rather than excavate it, you seemed largely negative on Johnson's achievements, eternally patient of Millen's, and now congratulatory whilst guarded of McInnes'.

I cannot help but feel that if Millen was still in charge you would be waxing lyrical of his efforts rather than grounding them with future expectations.

Do you agree / think that's fair?

My view on City avoiding the drop is largely due to the fact there have been at least three teams worse than us all season and if you can be arsed to trawl through my posts around the New Year you'll see that I said exactly that back then. Fact is I fully expected McInnes to keep us up simply on those grounds. Thats probably why I'm not gushing and OTT in my praise of staying in the Championship. I never once thought we'd be relegated even when a stretch of City 12 games managed just 6 points on two occaisions this season.

I like McInnes. He used his resources well during the run-in. Made some very astute loan signings and comes over as fan friendly and 'to the point' during interviews.

So......I'll repeat that McInnes did what I expected him to do.

My view on City avoiding the drop is largely due to the fact there have been at least three teams worse than us all season and if you can be arsed to trawl through my posts around the New Year you'll see that I said exactly that back then. Fact is I fully expected McInnes to keep us up simply on those grounds. Thats probably why I'm not gushing and OTT in my praise of staying in the Championship. I never once thought we'd be relegated even when a stretch of City 12 games managed just 6 points on two occaisions this season.

I like McInnes. He used his resources well during the run-in. Made some very astute loan signings and comes over as fan friendly and 'to the point' during interviews.

So......I'll repeat that McInnes did what I expected him to do.

So when the season started, did you envisage a relegation scrap which went down to the penultimate game?

I don't mean to push, I'm just intrigued as to how you {initially} saw this season panning out and how, if Millen were still in charge, you would have viewed his efforts this term.

It is of course fair to assume that if Millen had remained, avoiding relegation would have been the height of achievement.

So when the season started, did you envisage a relegation scrap which went down to the penultimate game?

I don't mean to push, I'm just intrigued as to how you {initially} saw this season panning out and how, if Millen were still in charge, you would have viewed his efforts this term.

It is of course fair to assume that if Millen had remained, avoiding relegation would have been the height of achievement.

Like many I wasn't impressed with pre-season and after losing the first game at home in such an embarressing fashion it was obvious that we were in for a tough season. That said I expected Millen to turn it around and keep us up as he had done last season.I was over optimistic for a mid-table finish. After 11 games he was gone but I still felt that City would be strong enough to stay up and that proved to be so.

The bottom line is that City imo always had enough (just) to avoid the drop. Hand on heart at no time during the season did I think that City would fail to stay up.

The bottom line is that City imo always had enough (just) to avoid the drop. Hand on heart at no time during the season did I think that City would fail to stay up.

I think this a funny one.

Personally I feared for our status as Millen's reign was drawing to a close but, since McInnes has settled in, even with the blip, I never really felt we'd go down.

Obviously that's easily said with us now safe, and without Pompey's deduction we still wouldn't be clear, but I've always felt that we had quality in the squad which wasn't reflected in our league position.

McInnes just seems to have that bit of something about him, he talks like a winner. Going back to the original post I was very impressed with how he spoke, it screamed of ambition and determination, portraying him in an extremely motivated light.

Opposed to this you have someone like Andy Thorn who, with no offense intended, came across as hard done by and lacking leadership. I'm not convinced by Dean Saunders either who, albeit in contrasting situations, spoke (from the interview I saw) of him and his efforts rather than his team. Michael Appleton spoke well I felt. After realising it wasn't Gianfranco Zola as I first felt (!), he seemed grounded and conscientious which is exactly what Portsmouth as a club surely need.

McInnes just seems to have that bit of something about him, he talks like a winner.

This is what has impressed me too. Almost a little bit Ferguson-like in so much as he comes across as never satisfied no matter what has been achieved.

Obviously that's easily said with us now safe, and without Pompey's deduction we still wouldn't be clear, but I've always felt that we had quality in the squad which wasn't reflected in our league position.

Just like to mention that Forest and Barnsley are below us, so even if Portsmouth hadn't received a ten point deduction we would still be clear of the drop.

Just like to mention that Forest and Barnsley are below us, so even if Portsmouth hadn't received a ten point deduction we would still be clear of the drop.

When I said clear I meant from the threat of relegation which, as it stands, we wouldn't be.

Forest and Barnsley would both be below us however we could still get relegated.

Archived