IGNORED

Review Of The Season, A

Jordan Tansley

So maybe Wilson could improve, just like Evans has? Who knows. I certainly have high hopes for the lad.

I'm not doubting he could become a good player. I'm just saying i'm yet to be convinced. The best news about Wilson is that he seems to have overcome his horrific injuries he had in the earlier stages of his career.

I'm not doubting he could become a good player. I'm just saying i'm yet to be convinced. The best news about Wilson is that he seems to have overcome his horrific injuries he had in the earlier stages of his career.

I hope so, a full season without an injury would do him the world of good. And maybe this'll be the year he convinces you :)

I honestly think this season could be a blessing in disguise. Finally the club have woken up and smelt the coffee, appointing a class manager in del and finally realising how shite the majority of our squad are. A good summer in the transfer market and next season could be a good one.

Now that the season is effectively over for us having staved off relegation and nothing but a dead rubber match remaining I thought this might represent the 'right' time for us all to critically review it. We had a thread that did something similar recently that was criticised for it's timing so here is perhaps the chance to do this again.

It cannot be doubted that this season has been one of the single most disappointing ones in many a year and aside from the obvious poor performances it has been incredibly frustrating to see the inconsistency in the squad of players who have found it within themselves to get amazing results against Southampton (x2) West Ham United (x2) and Birmingham but could not perform anywhere near the levels that they are not only capable of but are also expected of them.

We've seen flashes of very good football, the first goal we scored yesterday being a prime example of the ability within these players but we've been served some pretty mediocre (and on occasions downright terrible) performances too. With the last two points in mind I come to my first criticism- The players we have at this club have a very unprofessional attitude and cannot motivate themselves to play to the best of their abilities unless the game has something major riding on it. On of the usual retorts when this accusation has been leveled at the players is 'it's the managers job to motivate them' and whilst I would agree that the role of manager does have a large part to play in motivation professional pride should be enough to ensure the level of effort is there every time they cross the white line. I think it is indicative of this lack of professional pride within the squad that a player who has not been a regular starter over the 45 games played this season and has only 6 goals to his name has been named player of the season by the fans. Jon Stead is one of the only players we have on our books who will run himself into the ground for the cause and leaves everything he has on the pitch when he crosses the white line. He is in no way the most talented footballer we have at City, but he easily has the best attitude which has meant he has been our best performer.

On the managerial side we must count our blessings that Millen was let go. I liked Keith, I really did. I was desperate for him to do well for the club he had given such good service to in a number of roles but that wasn't likely to happen as soon as he made the fatal mistake of chasing players that were clearly better than a club of our stature. Some might argue that it was commendable for Millen to chase players like MaCauley and Jones who ended up playing Premier League football this season but for me it was a complete waste of resources and time when we should have been concentrating on players who we definitely had a chance to sign. The dealings in the summer were weak at best and I think this particular period had a large impact in the questionable actions of the forums favourite topic of discussion, Nicky Maynard.

The entire circus surrounding Nicky Maynard was of course avoidable but the increased discontent from the fans was not at all aided by the remarks that came from the previous manager throughout the early season, I feel that Sexstone also should shoulder some of the blame in that regard as his apparent 'bulldog' persona was not visible in an incident which many interpret as Maynard walking all over the club and board. The incident had a fracturing impact on the fan base as much as anything else and it was a particularly damaging to see fans so angered by the scenario that they felt it necessary to take banners to the Coventry away game. The entire episode could have been handled so much better by all involved and I don't think anyone including Maynard can really come out of it with much credibility intact at all. One thing I will say is that whilst Maynards performances were not up to the high standards we had experienced previously he did score some vital vital goals and considering how close to the wire survival got we must acknowledge that as important.

The appointment of the relatively unknown Derek McInnes looks like it could have been the first master stroke of the new boards reign, though it is obviously too early to say that with any conviction. He is however the best 'sounding' manager we've had and listening to his interviews fills me with confidence and trust that he is the man to take us forward. We've had our bad runs under him, no doubt, but when you consider the squad of players that are here at the moment his job has been very difficult and he has striven to find the right formula to get the best out of them. He got us over a line I don't think we would have been close to had the previous manager been retained and already his interviews which have focused on next season are encouraging. As Robbored will be only too quick to point out though, the proof is very much in the pudding but I enter the next stage in BCFC's history with a renewed sense of optimism.

Individually it would be very easy to sit here and lament the majority of the squad, I suppose I've already done that when talking about the attitude problem I believe exists within the squad but other than that it seems somewhat pointless. The majority of the squad are quite simply not good enough and some (My dad especially) would love nothing more than to see the whole lot leave and for us to start again from scratch. I don't necessarily agree with that level of upheaval but there are merely a handful of players I would want involved in our squad come next season which is indicative of the absolute mess left by the previous three managers.

In goal I truly believe we need two new ones. No doubting the form that Gerken has shown in the late season charge for survival has been good but he just isn't good enough for me to be a championship number one goalkeeper, Likewise despite James' ability to pull of world class saves in his early 40's he simply has too high a wage and too poor a kicking game to constitute another contract. I'd take James as a number two to a new first choice keeper if he was to accept that role and also accept a much reduced wage but I can't imagine that ever being the case.

At the back only Foster, Carey and Fontaine would be retained in my ideal world, Nyatanga, Wilson, Ribeiro, Edwards and Macca are nothing short of deadwood for a variety of reasons and the loan players McGivern and Spence have been poor acquisitions. I'd be delighted to see McManus and/or Amougou given the chance to come back again next season but defensively we need a complete re-jig of personnel to stop the rot.

In midfield we have some very talented wingers in Albert and Yannick (Albert has however had a particularly poor season and has a long long way to go to prove he is the bees knees as many would have us believe, his knowledge of his position is nothing short of criminal at times) and centrally we have one of the best holding midfielders in the league. Cisse is an absolute must for next season and losing him would be a travesty. The problem is of course who do you play along side him. Skuse has shown lately what many of us have known for a long time... He is a player with all the attributes you could ever want as a midfielder and he has the capability to take games by the scruff of the neck. He does need to do this more often though. Pearson is the only player in this current group who has any awareness off the ball when we are attacking, the static nature of his team mates is nothing short of embarrassing at times and it is a breath of fresh air to see Pearson moving into clever positions and picking the ball up in dangerous areas... He probably doesn't do enough with it though to be the creative player we miss. Then there's Elliot... still living off his first season with us and rated far above his ability the bloke is one of the reasons why we cannot play a 4-4-2. I would love for us to get some money for him come the summer months as I really don't see what he brings to us now. He needs to be replaced with that creative attacking midfielder Esmond has been desperate for for so long. We need the player Kilkenny was billed to be (By god what a disappointment he's been, really do not rate him a jot.).

Up front we've clearly had a lot of problems again, the lack of goal threat this season has been very bad, Pitman provides that but his performances this season have been sporadic and when he is off the boil he is simply a passenger. Stead masks his limitations with effort and you really can't say too much bad about him as he has needed a pacey partner which isn't available. Wood has done alright as a loan signing and has obvious talent to go places in the sport and that's been about it...

So, other than Foster, Fontaine, Carey, Skuse, Adomah, Bolasie, Cisse, Stead and Pitman I'd be happy to see the majority of the squad leave this summer. We know that Derek has a lot of out of contract players who will leave and he is probably in a very lucky position in that he should have a lot of room to maneuver in the transfer market in his quest to formulate his own squad... Thank god eh?

This season for me will go down as one of disappointment but also of realisation. Realisation that large parts of this squad are for want of a less insulting term 'unprofessional wasters'. I don't think the good performances that they are capable of sufficiently mask their inadequacies and it is my opinion that the good performances further support the idea that they are unprofessional. I now can look forward to the summer and new season with optimism that the necessary clear out and changing of the guard will commence and that the sweeping broom of Derek McInnes can produce a squad that is capable of competing consistently in this division at the right end of the table as opposed to the hellish scramble for survival we've witnessed this year.

I realise that much of this was negative and I can only apologise for he length of the post. I'm in essay mode at the moment...

Jesus I started to read but far to long yawn !

Thought provoking OP. Thanks Jordan.

I think I agree with most of what you write...and to your detractors I'd say that naturally it covers ground that's been covered throughout the season cos it's a season review!

But I wouldn't retain Carey. Past his best for several seasons. Should have been shown the door when he was leading a defence that couldn't defend a lead in GJ's time. Very lucky to have been around as long as he has IMO. But if he stays...whatever...he won't play much.

I think the die for 2011/12 was cast in the preseason. Millen was out of his depth and his abysmal preparation showed it. Wasn't Kalifa Cisse out of the reckoning in KM's book? Wasn't he arguably player of the season? Millen was a disaster.

I recall you and I having an argument over promises of "jam tomorrow". Believe me, once Keith had the job there was no jam to look forward to!

Listening to McInnes he sounds sober and realistic. Which is a good starting point for sorting things out. By contrast Millen was trying to delude us - and himself? - that he'd built a squad capable of a promotion push this year. We knew he hadn't...indeed he'd assembled a squad barely capable of retaining Championship status. And that's the story of the season...status retained with the help of loanees galore to paper over the cracks.

Let's hope that one of the most depressing spells in my decades following City is firmly put behind us in 2012/13. Let's seize the opportunities we have, and not squander them.

Thank you RE, and the other kind comments. Simply had a spare ten minutes before the pub and thought I'd share my views on the season... I guess if nobody did that the forum would be rather quiet...

It was indeed I that you had the argument regarding 'jam tomorrow' with and whilst hindsight has proven you right I would probably take the same stance now as then, Perhaps that's a sign of the blind optimism of youth? The proof was very much in the pudding with Millen and last summer was the straw that broke the camels back... Derek has a way with words that perhaps Keith didn't possess. He has retained the optimistic tone in his interviews without yet committing to a goal that is not realistic, that said I wouldn't be that surprised to see us mount something close to a play off push next season... Again, that might be viewed as blind optimism.

On Carey, I truly believe the guy has the ability to hold his own at this level still, particularly as a squad player. It'd be a good move to give him another year on a reduced basic wage but high appearance fee as the cover, experience and reasonable versatility he offers could be very important in what is a long and arduous season at Championship level.

Onto some of the other replies.

On Nyatanga. I have defended him a lot on this very forum, but would say that despite his ability defensively we need players who have the ability to pass a ball more than 5 yards. At some points this season he played well by looking up and giving to a midfielder but too often he panics and tries to clear his lines when not really under pressure. I do like him but to be honest, progression with the likes of him continually retained isn't going to be easy. Perhaps with my view on Carey that could be viewed as contradictory... but hey.

On Wilson. I hate to sound so flippant with regard to a player who does have a bit of potential, but I just don't see it yet. There seems to have been a lack of trust from Derek with regard to him following his costly lack of discipline around the time of the Leeds game and for that reason I see him as dead wood as much as anything else. I get the impression there is a lack of trust from Derek too, I mean has he been injured? I honestly don't know.

On the length of the original post. I again apologise for it, I just finished a heavy period of essay deadlines at University so my brain has become quite accustomed to writing longer passages. If that's a real problem for anyone and reading something more than a few lines is an issue I can only extend my deepest sympathies :smartass:

I'm not sure Carey should go.

The team performance seemed to improve a bit on Saturday after he came on.

Prior to his arrival the passing was abysmal, after his arrival it was only awful .

Fortunately Barnsley didn't have a clue what to do with the ball once they got it.

Individually it would be very easy to sit here and lament the majority of the squad, I suppose I've already done that when talking about the attitude problem I believe exists within the squad but other than that it seems somewhat pointless. The majority of the squad are quite simply not good enough and some (My dad especially) would love nothing more than to see the whole lot leave and for us to start again from scratch. I don't necessarily agree with that level of upheaval but there are merely a handful of players I would want involved in our squad come next season which is indicative of the absolute mess left by the previous three managers.

Thats the most salient point in the essay imo. A situation thats existed since the second Championship season which Johnson and then Millen did not address and the core reason City have struggled. McInnes went some way to addressing it with loan signings but by the very nature of loans means they are a temporary measure.

Its been said many times but this summer is a huge time in City's recent history.

The OP suggests the players have the wrong attitude and that they have the ability there if they can use it.

I'm not so sure. As the season has gone on I believe the players are, at best, mediocre and there attitude, on the whole, has been fine - possibly with a number of games being exceptions.

There have been flashes of brilliance, but I can't help but think even the worst players can stitch together a decent move or piece of interplay from time to time. Lets be honest, how often do you watch the football league show and think "wow, what a fantastic goal" - and you've you've been watching the likes of Hereford or Macclesfield.

Talent really shows when you can do it in every game or in most games. What a team shows consistently is their true level and so our league position reflects that.

The OP suggests the players have the wrong attitude and that they have the ability there if they can use it.

I'm not so sure. As the season has gone on I believe the players are, at best, mediocre and there attitude, on the whole, has been fine - possibly with a number of games being exceptions.

There have been flashes of brilliance, but I can't help but think even the worst players can stitch together a decent move or piece of interplay from time to time. Lets be honest, how often do you watch the football league show and think "wow, what a fantastic goal" - and you've you've been watching the likes of Hereford or Macclesfield.

Talent really shows when you can do it in every game or in most games. What a team shows consistently is their true level and so our league position reflects that.

I'd tend to agree if the performances were more sporadic and inconsistent but we go on extended runs of good and poor form which to me would indicate a problem psychologically. Some may say its confidence but I firmly believe a number of them are guilty of not trying or not bothering to motivate themselves properly.

Archived