IGNORED

Next Seasons C'ship Financial Strugglers

Kid in the Riot

Think it would be fair to say that our survival this season was aided by the financial woes of both Coventry and Portsmouth. It is par for the course these days for a number of clubs a season to hit serious financial problems at some point during a season.

So my question is who are the ticking time bombs in the Championship for next season? Who's purse strings in the summer will be tightened significantly? Will the likes of Leicester and Ipswich spend big again-can they afford to?

Teams like Wolves, Bolton, QPR would probably spend big if they came down. Maybe not so much Blackburn?

Forest continue to have a massive debt and weren't there rumours of Blackpool potentially being in a spot of difficulty with HMRC?

As for City, think it's fair to say we will HAVE to spend a lot more than the £300k (or whatever it was) that we spent last pre-season if we have ambitions on improving our league position. We will as ever be looking for value for money though and with so many out the door there is an opportunity to bring the wage bill down to a more manageable level.

Fascinating summer ahead

Watford are still in the mire supposedly.

If West Ham don't go up, they could be in for a difficult season too. Bolton and Blackburn would both a have a problem. Bolton are £ 100M in debt and do not have a wealthy backer. Blackburn are owned by those stupid chicken farmers who seem to know nothing about the game.

Think it would be fair to say that our survival this season was aided by the financial woes of both Coventry and Portsmouth. It is par for the course these days for a number of clubs a season to hit serious financial problems at some point during a season.

So my question is who are the ticking time bombs in the Championship for next season? Who's purse strings in the summer will be tightened significantly? Will the likes of Leicester and Ipswich spend big again-can they afford to?

Teams like Wolves, Bolton, QPR would probably spend big if they came down. Maybe not so much Blackburn?

Forest continue to have a massive debt and weren't there rumours of Blackpool potentially being in a spot of difficulty with HMRC?

As for City, think it's fair to say we will HAVE to spend a lot more than the £300k (or whatever it was) that we spent last pre-season if we have ambitions on improving our league position. We will as ever be looking for value for money though and with so many out the door there is an opportunity to bring the wage bill down to a more manageable level.

Fascinating summer ahead

I wouldn't rule us out of the equation either. As we stand BCFC aren't a going concern in any normal business sense and should have gone bust sometime ago. Fact is that we only sustain the losses that we do is because we are very rich man's play thing. If SL ever decided to pack it in or have financial problems then we'd be sunk. Fortunately for us I don't think that either of those things is likely, but we shouldn't run away with the idea that we're richer or better run than some others - we aren't, we're just very lucky with our owner.

West Ham have unbelievably bad debts.

Bolton could be the ones in real trouble, their debt was about £90m+ last time I read. Why do you think Gartside wants a closed shop...

With 3 teams comming down each season from the premier league, receiving 42 million over 3 seasons parachute payments its going to be increasingly difficult to keep up unless we try to match them..

When you look at a team like WHU though, their wages this season alone were £55m.

I wouldn't rule us out of the equation either. As we stand BCFC aren't a going concern in any normal business sense and should have gone bust sometime ago. Fact is that we only sustain the losses that we do is because we are very rich man's play thing. If SL ever decided to pack it in or have financial problems then we'd be sunk. Fortunately for us I don't think that either of those things is likely, but we shouldn't run away with the idea that we're richer or better run than some others - we aren't, we're just very lucky with our owner.

There will be clubs in much worse situations than us who are much closer to the brink. We have a great opportunity to cut our cloth in the summer with so many players (and some high earners at that) out of contract. Plus we got a bit of cash for Maynard.

Add in the Lansdown factor and I'm not too worried about us, for the time being.

We wouldn't have as much debt if it wasn't for SL! Granted we wouldn't be in the championship either...

Weren't the rumours about Millwall being in trouble earlier on this season? I think that if Pompey go to the wall it could be a tipping point and we could see 4 or 5 Football League clubs in their death throws by this time next year

Millwall are indeed in a parlous state.

Maybe we can finish mid-table next season from the various 10 point deductions alone!

Fascinating summer ahead

With so many players out of contract I think we might have more flexibility than in previous seasons to bring players in.

its down to 108% this season I think, and will drop below 100% when the out of contract players are reliesed

The accounts for this season won't be released until near the end of the year so nobody knows, I doubt it is down any at all though.

It will not be likely to drop much when out of contract players are released because they will be quickly replaced.

The tables shown in the linked article are a little misleading as in some cases they count group wage bills and turnovers and in others only football related.

What isn't misleading is that we dramatically overspend and have done for the entirety of SL's tenure. We need to run a far tighter ship with wiser spending, not spend more at all.

Archived