IGNORED

League Table Since Mcinnes Joined

Super Scotty Murray

I thought it would be interesting to see the league table since McInnes joined. For the purposes of this I have ignored Portsmouth's 10 point deduction and have started after (h) Birmingham as he had only been in the job a few days and did not know the players. This is therefore based on the last 32 games for all the teams in the league. This is based on the same number of games for every team. The table would currently read as follows:

1. Reading 72pts

2. West Ham 59pts

3. Southampton 58pts

4. Blackpool 55pts

5. Birmingham 52 pts

6. Cardiff 52 pts

7. Watford 51 pts

8. Middlesborough 46 pts

9. Brighton 46 pts

10. Hull 44 pts

11. Leicester 44 pts

12. Millwall 44 pts

13. Burnley 43 pts

14. Derby 42 pts

15. Bristol City 42 pts

16. Leeds 40 pts

17. Ipswich 38 pts

18. Portsmouth 35 pts

19, Crystal Palace 33 pts

20. Nottingham Forest 33 pts

21. Barnsley 32 pts

22. Peterborough 30 pts

23. Coventry 29 pts

24. Doncaster 28 pts

My initial thoughts is that we still have a long way to go but if McInnes can get us to lower mid table with the players we have at the moment, we should be able to be pushing the play-offs next year with a fresh squad. However, I think it will be a much tougher league next year with the teams coming up and down so this may prove to be too much of an ask.

I would have thought that Peterborough and Barnsley will really struggle next year as I can't really see either of them having the finances to improve their squad. Maybe also Crystal Palace who have struggled in the latter part of this season.

At the other end as much as it pains me to say, Sean Dyche has done an amazing job with Watford - although I don't quite know how!

Another big thing for me is that McInnes has accumulated 9 more points that Cotterill at Forest which is a great achievement considering the squad and resources they have.

Overall this is table is mainly positive for me but I guess it depends whether you look at this with the glass half full or half empty!

I thought it would be interesting to see the league table since McInnes joined. For the purposes of this I have ignored Portsmouth's 10 point deduction and have started after (h) Birmingham as he had only been in the job a few days and did not know the players. This is therefore based on the last 32 games for all the teams in the league. This is based on the same number of games for every team. The table would currently read as follows:

1. Reading 72pts

2. West Ham 59pts

3. Southampton 58pts

4. Blackpool 55pts

5. Birmingham 52 pts

6. Cardiff 52 pts

7. Watford 51 pts

8. Middlesborough 46 pts

9. Brighton 46 pts

10. Hull 44 pts

11. Leicester 44 pts

12. Millwall 44 pts

13. Burnley 43 pts

14. Derby 42 pts

15. Bristol City 42 pts

16. Leeds 40 pts

17. Ipswich 38 pts

18. Portsmouth 35 pts

21. Barnsley 32 pts

22. Peterborough 30 pts

23. Coventry 29 pts

24. Doncaster 28 pts

My initial thoughts is that we still have a long way to go but if McInnes can get us to lower mid table with the players we have at the moment, we should be able to be pushing the play-offs next year with a fresh squad. However, I think it will be a much tougher league next year with the teams coming up and down so this may prove to be too much of an ask.

I would have thought that Peterborough and Barnsley will really struggle next year as I can't really see either of them having the finances to improve their squad. Maybe also Crystal Palace who have struggled in the latter part of this season.

At the other end as much as it pains me to say, Sean Dyche has done an amazing job with Watford - although I don't quite know how!

Another big thing for me is that McInnes has accumulated 9 more points that Cotterill at Forest which is a great achievement considering the squad and resources they have.

Overall this is table is mainly positive for me but I guess it depends whether you look at this with the glass half full or half empty!

I find it incredible that having just avoided relegation on the penultimate game of the season, the first "play off potential" thread is started.

You say you left off Portsmouth's 10 point penalty? Had they not been deducted those points, we'd still be looking for points from the last game to survive.!!

New players will need time to settle and adapt, and I believe the more you bring in the longer it may take.

It is an interesting league table, and I admire your confidence, but as a City fan of 44 years, I'll be quite happy to get to 60 points, and maybe flirt with the top 10.... but play off talk, in my opinion, is way, way off the mark.

Let's enjoy that safety feeling.

Good post though.

I find it incredible that having just avoided relegation on the penultimate game of the season, the first "play off potential" thread is started.

You say you left off Portsmouth's 10 point penalty? Had they not been deducted those points, we'd still be looking for points from the last game to survive.!!

New players will need time to settle and adapt, and I believe the more you bring in the longer it may take.

It is an interesting league table, and I admire your confidence, but as a City fan of 44 years, I'll be quite happy to get to 60 points, and maybe flirt with the top 10.... but play off talk, in my opinion, is way, way off the mark.

Good post though.

Thanks for your comments.

I would like to say that I would be extremely happy with 10th place and 60 points also! I did say that I thought it would be a tougher league next season and I agree with you that play-offs would be highly unlikely. Just trying to be positive!

Not necessarily. Barnesly would have to win and Forest to have got a point or more, for us not to survive a final day defeat.

Glad it didn't come to that degree of uncertainity, but it would be Barnsley going down had Pompey not been docked the points IMO. And lots of us thought they were treated unduly leniently for their second administration. They should've been down many months ago after a 20 point deduction.

Not necessarily. Barnesly would have to win and Forest to have got a point or more, for us not to survive a final day defeat.

Glad it didn't come to that degree of uncertainity, but it would be Barnsley going down had Pompey not been docked the points IMO. And lots of us thought they were treated unduly leniently for their second administration. They should've been down many months ago after a 20 point deduction.

Agree with all of this. The reason I did not include the 10 point penalty was that I wanted to show form, and this had nothing to do with form so I wanted to show how we compare to everyone else.

Good post though.

Arpaul you are absolutely right talk of the play offs is way off the mark I predict a top two finish , I'm not going to get carried away and say we will go up as champions.

• Admin

That's the OP's point though. The above table shows how Mcinnes has taken over Millen's poor & unbalanced squad and through the additional of largely loan players has performed better than 9 other championship sides.

With the opportunity to add balance to this squad through some quality signings in the summer (the easier transfer window) this surely gives grounds for cautious optimism for the coming season?

I'd agree that talk of playoff challenges are premature as it stands without a single movement in or out of the club but the above table gives greater credence to his managerial ability than a casual glance at the actual league table, which is heavily influenced by Millen's tenure, does & suggests we can enter into next season with a little confidence that we won't be entering another relegation battle.

As a side point, we are currently in a similar position to that Holloway found himself in at Blackpool the Summer before he took them up in having the opportunity to really remodel the squad. However, Derek needs to buy extremely well if we are to see similar end results.

I would like to say that I would be extremely happy with 10th place and 60 points also! I did say that I thought it would be a tougher league next season and I agree with you that play-offs would be highly unlikely. Just trying to be positive!

How happy were you when Millen got 60 points and finished 15th in his first season?

How happy were you when Millen got 60 points and finished 15th in his first season?

Under the circumstances I was very happy actually!

Clearly I would hope we will be pushing for the playoffs i.e. that we will be in and around the top half of the table but if we end up mid table that is fine at the moment. Compared to this season it would be a massive improvement!

Frankly I fail to see the relevance of a comparison league table. There are statistics, more statistics and dammed lies and its all a bit meaningless.

With the blank canvas McInnes will have over the summer my expectations for next season are that we'll see far more entertaining football and be flirting with the play-offs come March/April. Thats very realistic imo.

Frankly I fail to see the relevance of a comparison league table. There are statistics, more statistics and dammed lies and its all a bit meaningless.

With the blank canvas McInnes will have over the summer my expectations for next season are that we'll see far more entertaining football and be flirting with the play-offs come March/April. Thats very realistic imo.

I totally agree with your expectations for next season. However, I do not agree that this table is meaningless, I do think it is positive to think what McInnes has been able to achieve with the current squad and this table proves that McInnes has accumulated more points than teams such as Leeds and Ipswich in this time who are sides who would expect to be challenging for playoffs.

Good post though.

Completely agree.

Still a very interesting read but you also have to consider that we wasn't the only club to change a manager during the season, there were also a few others that had to start with a squad that they couldn't do much tinkering with, infact Appleton, Pearson, Barmby, Warnock all had less time then McInnes.

Edit: Interesting stat, Out of the entire 92 football teams in the football league 46 have a manager employed less than a year !

I don't think this is meaningless. It's interesting to see what kind of progress Del has made so far. This season will go down as dissapointing and forgetable but it will also go down as Del's first, well his appointment anyway. We had an unbalanced and generally poor team this year and he achieved safety so that's a good starter for his City career.

Now he has the chance to rebuild and carry on making progess. If he can get a poor team to 15th, then a top half finish at least should be a good target. Lets see how things unfold!

I don't think this is meaningless. It's interesting to see what kind of progress Del has made so far. This season will go down as dissapointing and forgetable but it will also go down as Del's first, well his appointment anyway. We had an unbalanced and generally poor team this year and he achieved safety so that's a good starter for his City career.

I say its meaningless because its in the past, its gone and of no relevence to how next season might pan out with a (hopefully) significantly different squad.

Its of no relevence either that the season before Millen reached 60 points with what some would say was an inferior squad in many ways to the one that McInnes inherited. So what? :dunno:

I say its meaningless because its in the past, its gone and of no relevence to how next season might pan out with a (hopefully) significantly different squad.

Its of no relevence either that the season before Millen reached 60 points with what some would say was an inferior squad in many ways to the one that McInnes inherited. So what? :dunno:

History is irrelevant. Therefore the horse pooing outside your garage is irrelevant too but you are still going on about it.

1. Reading 72pts

2. West Ham 59pts

3. Southampton 58pts

4. Blackpool 55pts

5. Birmingham 52 pts

6. Cardiff 52 pts

7. Watford 51 pts

8. Middlesborough 46 pts

9. Brighton 46 pts

10. Hull 44 pts

11. Leicester 44 pts

12. Millwall 44 pts

13. Burnley 43 pts

14. Derby 42 pts

15. Bristol City 42 pts

16. Leeds 40 pts

17. Ipswich 38 pts

18. Portsmouth 35 pts

21. Barnsley 32 pts

22. Peterborough 30 pts

23. Coventry 29 pts

24. Doncaster 28 pts

Excellent post. Shows the progression we have made under McInnes and that there is no reason why we can't carry these improvements on into next season.

amazed by Watford!

I am truly glad that we've done it with a game to spare as Burnley away would have been our undoing.

The sad fact is that we have not been competing in this League consistently.

Ipswich, Peterboro, Cardiff, Reading, Brighton, Blackpool. all games we never had under control.

We had to play out of our skins to get anything out of Leicester, Derby, Bham, Wham and Forest.

I do think a lot of this was down to Millen trying to scuff results.

DMC has instilled a belief back into the players and fans. Certainly the atmosphere at recent games has been similar to our first season back at this level.

There is much rebuilding to be done and little room for sentiment

1. Reading 72pts

2. West Ham 59pts

3. Southampton 58pts

4. Blackpool 55pts

5. Birmingham 52 pts

6. Cardiff 52 pts

7. Watford 51 pts

8. Middlesborough 46 pts

9. Brighton 46 pts

10. Hull 44 pts

11. Leicester 44 pts

12. Millwall 44 pts

13. Burnley 43 pts

14. Derby 42 pts

15. Bristol City 42 pts

16. Leeds 40 pts

17. Ipswich 38 pts

18. Portsmouth 35 pts

21. Barnsley 32 pts

22. Peterborough 30 pts

23. Coventry 29 pts

24. Doncaster 28 pts

Brilliant post. Always nice to see people sharing original and interesting content.

Playoffs? Unlikely. Possible? Yes.

Archived