IGNORED

Thank You Louis

bs3

I was stood about 4 places from the girl he gave his shirt to after the game he could hardly look at the fans and looked very emotional even aged 50 I felt a tear in my eye has he gave his shirt away, and on the way home at Wakefield Westgate station I saw les Battersby I dont even watch corrie just read the Sun. He was getting lots of recognition form the public but I knew who the hero was in my eyes.

Thanks for all the good times Louis. It is rare in this day and age to see a player care so much for a club and you have been a credit to BCFC. I hope this isn't the end but if it is, I wish you all the very best for the future.

As some have said on here, the word 'legend' is thrown around far too easily nowadays. But it is a word that describes you and your service to the club perfectly. You will always be a Bristol City legend Louis.

There is only one Louis Carey.

Quite.

Fantastic player, a leader and extremely brave. One thing that sticks in my memory is the number of times we saw him leave the pitch with a head injury and return bandaged up, he was never afraid to put his head in where it hurts.

Very skilful too, his seasons at right back in his prime were a joy to watch him taking on full backs like a winger.

A real shame if yesterday was his last game, a final appearance at Ashton Gate would have been nice.

Louis Louis Louis.

If this is the end - I'd just like to show my appreciation to a true Bristol City LEGEND.

Thanks for the great memories Louis.

It's been a privilege having a Bristol boy and City fan representing our club with real passion, and ability. You have been a key part of my following City and it's been a pleasure knowing that the great moments have meant as much to you as they do to us.

Carey has still got it, he will be missed.

A Bristol City without Louis will take some getting used to.

Quite.

Fantastic player, a leader and extremely brave. One thing that sticks in my memory is the number of times we saw him leave the pitch with a head injury and return bandaged up, he was never afraid to put his head in where it hurts.

Very skilful too, his seasons at right back in his prime were a joy to watch him taking on full backs like a winger.

A real shame if yesterday was his last game, a final appearance at Ashton Gate would have been nice.

:) I remember him having his nose readjusted surgically in a preseaon, only for him to have it splattered all over his face within a few weeks of the season start.

Proper warrior, and brave bloke, who did surprisingly well when you consider his stature, not big for a centre back.

There was a period in League 1 when he was outstanding at right back, there were other spells in his career where he was outstanding at centre back. He had a poor period recently which had more to do with returning after fracturing his skull, but that doesn't cut much ice with people who are determined to do the guy down. He has returned to his very best in the last few matches.

I am old enough to be able to cite some absolute legends in the last 45 years but Louis is one of the few of the more recent generations. I wonder how much he regrets that season at Coventry, I doubt he felt the same playing for a club he had no passion for and if he had stayed here for that season he would probably have broken Atyeo's record. Perhaps in some ways it is better that never happens but LC would have been a worthy successor in a game where loyalty is becoming rarer and rarer.

I am sure that Del's decision is not a personal one, just one he feels needs to be made, there are other areas of the squad where money and wages can be beter aimed.

Was there to see your pride when you played your first game all those years ago and was there Saturday to see & share the tears at the end of your last...

The football gods do not grant many players like you to clubs like BCFC....we can consider ourselves very fortunate

Very good luck in everything you do

Before I went to the game saturday it has to be said I for one certainly thought Louis would get a new deal. However when I got to the services and was hearing the talk that Carey's mum had travelled on the coaches and she was telling people he was tyold thursday he wouldn't be offered a new deal and this game would be his last I was hoping it wasn't true.

When the team came out before the game and Carey was captain instead of Fontaine and the way that Louis looked up at the fans I knew this game was going to be his last. I have to say at the end of the game when Carey came over to the city fans with a face filled with emotion it really was a sad sight to see.

I am not having a go at Derek if he doesn't want to offer Louis a deal that's up to him. I do think it's more personal though than it is with Louis not being good enough anymore because l think Louis certainly had another year to offer us. I'm just dissapointed with the club as a whole that they made no form of announcement prior to the game saying that he wasn't getting a new contract and this would be his last. I know a lot of people who said that they would have attended that game saturday to show there respect for Carey if they knew it was his last.

So unless Derek has changed his mind which I see as doubtul we've seen Carey's last proper game for the club. I just want to say thank you Louis for the passion and commitment you showed to this football club. You've done great to become the 2nd player to John Ateyo to make the most league apperances for the club. Thank you for always giving one hundred percent to this football club. I hope you will remain at the club in some form althought myself I don't see that happening. Good luck for the future!

THERE'S ONLY ONE LOUIS CAREY!

Before I went to the game saturday it has to be said I for one certainly thought Louis would get a new deal. However when I got to the services and was hearing the talk that Carey's mum had travelled on the coaches and she was telling people he was tyold thursday he wouldn't be offered a new deal and this game would be his last I was hoping it wasn't true.

When the team came out before the game and Carey was captain instead of Fontaine and the way that Louis looked up at the fans I knew this game was going to be his last. I have to say at the end of the game when Carey came over to the city fans with a face filled with emotion it really was a sad sight to see.

I am not having a go at Derek if he doesn't want to offer Louis a deal that's up to him. I do think it's more personal though than it is with Louis not being good enough anymore because l think Louis certainly had another year to offer us. I'm just dissapointed with the club as a whole that they made no form of announcement prior to the game saying that he wasn't getting a new contract and this would be his last. I know a lot of people who said that they would have attended that game saturday to show there respect for Carey if they knew it was his last.

So unless Derek has changed his mind which I see as doubtul we've seen Carey's last proper game for the club. I just want to say thank you Louis for the passion and commitment you showed to this football club. You've done great to become the 2nd player to John Ateyo to make the most league apperances for the club. Thank you for always giving one hundred percent to this football club. I hope you will remain at the club in some form althought myself I don't see that happening. Good luck for the future!

THERE'S ONLY ONE LOUIS CAREY!

I would've liked Carey to be given another year but respect Del's decision.

I will regret not being at Burnley for a long time I think.

I first saw Louis against QPR reserves, a year or so before he made his debut. He looked promising then and has gone on to fulfil his potential as a truly wonderful player and captain of our club. It has been a huge pleasure to watch a local lad and true City fan leading our team in the field. If this is the end of Louis's career at The Gate, then I for one would like to thank him for his wonderful play and inspiration over so many years. He is and will always be a true City legend. Good luck in everything you do in your next career Louis - you are one of a kind and we are unlikely to ever see someone break your record of appearances. You are my hero!!

I would've liked Carey to be given another year but respect Del's decision.

I will regret not being at Burnley for a long time I think.

Yeah mate had the club have informed people of there decision I'm sure people like you and plenty of others I know would have turned out in force to give Louis the send off he deserved

It says alot for how he played the game that Louis' talent is sometimes overlooked. When you think of him you think of all the broken noses and the last ditch tackles, but that does him a disservice as he was a bloody talented player and who was extremely composed on the ball for a centre half. As an earlier poster said, in the seasons he spent at right back under Wilson you would never have guessed he was primarily a centre half due to how adept he was bringing the ball out from the back. He even managed to overlap Scotty from time to time! He was always at his best playing alongside a big dominant centre half as he demonstrated in our last two promotions, first of all next to Taylor in 97/98 and then McCombe in 06/07. And Louis for me was a star man in both of those seasons. I remember an interview with Bradley Orr at the end of that 06/07 season and he openly spoke about how much he, Keogh, McCombe and Fontaine had learnt from Louis.

He was never a natural captain due to being a shy, quiet lad and at first he was always seemed quiet reluctant to have the armband, but as he matured he really grew into the role and although he was never going to be a shouty type captain there is never going to be anyone better to simply lead by example. You could tell by the way the players treated him on Saturday just how much they think of him and Fontaine and Skuse were holding back the tears, just in the same way that many in the away end, myself included, were.

I don't agree with McInnes on this decision as I feel Louis would have been brilliant to have in the squad as a 4th choice centre-half, but I do see where he is coming from. And of course we don't know the full details, McInnes may have spoke to Carey and said he was going to offer him a contract, but obviously he was only ever going to be a back up player in next seasons squad and Louis may have decided to call it a day now after a successful end to the season that he has played in important role in rather than hang around and retire in a damb squib at the end of next season. Scotty Murray for example spent his last season here barely playing and out on loan at Cheltenham.

I wish Louis all the success in the world at whatever he does from now on. From the outside he has never struck me as someone that would want to become a manager, but I am purely guessing. The guy is a City legend and I really do hope he knows just how highly the vast majority of City fans think of him.

There's only one Louis Carey!

It says alot for how he played the game that Louis' talent is sometimes overlooked. When you think of him you think of all the broken noses and the last ditch tackles, but that does him a disservice as he was a bloody talented player and who was extremely composed on the ball for a centre half. As an earlier poster said, in the seasons he spent at right back under Wilson you would never have guessed he was primarily a centre half due to how adept he was bringing the ball out from the back. He even managed to overlap Scotty from time to time! He was always at his best playing alongside a big dominant centre half as he demonstrated in our last two promotions, first of all next to Taylor in 97/98 and then McCombe in 06/07. And Louis for me was a star man in both of those seasons. I remember an interview with Bradley Orr at the end of that 06/07 season and he openly spoke about how much he, Keogh, McCombe and Fontaine had learnt from Louis.

He was never a natural captain due to being a shy, quiet lad and at first he was always seemed quiet reluctant to have the armband, but as he matured he really grew into the role and although he was never going to be a shouty type captain there is never going to be anyone better to simply lead by example. You could tell by the way the players treated him on Saturday just how much they think of him and Fontaine and Skuse were holding back the tears, just in the same way that many in the away end, myself included, were.

I don't agree with McInnes on this decision as I feel Louis would have been brilliant to have in the squad as a 4th choice centre-half, but I do see where he is coming from. And of course we don't know the full details, McInnes may have spoke to Carey and said he was going to offer him a contract, but obviously he was only ever going to be a back up player in next seasons squad and Louis may have decided to call it a day now after a successful end to the season that he has played in important role in rather than hang around and retire in a damb squib at the end of next season. Scotty Murray for example spent his last season here barely playing and out on loan at Cheltenham.

I wish Louis all the success in the world at whatever he does from now on. From the outside he has never struck me as someone that would want to become a manager, but I am purely guessing. The guy is a City legend and I really do hope he knows just how highly the vast majority of City fans think of him.

There's only one Louis Carey!

Superb post there mate. You make some great points.

As you say, we don't know all of the ins and outs and it may well just be that he wants to bow out on a high, rather than a year of being the forgotten man as such. I personally would have gave him another year. Not out of sympathy or sentiment, but because I feel he can still offer something, on the playing side and to the likes of Wilson, Edwards etc.

However I would understand where Del is coming from. Although I would rather Carey any day over our usual journeymen signings or the likes of Nyatanga.

There is only one Louis Carey.

Archived