IGNORED

Bristol's New Mayor

mcbcfc

Liverpool didn't have a referendum on whether to have one, and the rest declined the opportunity to have a mayor! 40,000 in Bristol voted for a mayor, 35000 against, 24% of the electorate! Democracy in action, eh!

Democracy is being given the vote.

Apathy is the fault of the individual, not democracy itself.

Democracy is being given the vote.

Apathy is the fault of the individual, not democracy itself.

EXACTLY!!!.

I voted & got my family to vote as well.

I was generally undecided until i actually thought about what BCC had done to bring investment & development into Bristol.

The decision was easy.

BCAGFC

Liverpool didn't have a referendum on whether to have one, and the rest declined the opportunity to have a mayor! 40,000 in Bristol voted for a mayor, 35000 against, 24% of the electorate! Democracy in action, eh!

Apathy in action. People who don't vote don't get the right to whinge or complain :)

Apathy in action. People who don't vote don't get the right to whinge or complain :)

Indeed! I voted, however I don't believe 24% of the electorate is enough to be able to say "Bristol votes for an elected mayor". It clearly doesn't!

For what it's worth, my view is anything that increases "personality politics" is a step in the wrong direction.

Indeed! I voted, however I don't believe 24% of the electorate is enough to be able to say "Bristol votes for an elected mayor". It clearly doesn't!

For what it's worth, my view is anything that increases "personality politics" is a step in the wrong direction.

I think the fact that we're the only city to have voted for it is a pretty damning verdict on the council.

I don't want personality politics but I do want someone to drive the council as they're ineffective, I do expect whoever wins it to be held to account though.

Fact is, more voted for it than against it. 76% of people clearly don't give a ****, so why shouldn't the issue be decided by those who do?

"Though pundits make him a favourite to become the first elected Mayor of Bristol, Tony Robinson insists he has no further political ambitions." ... Balls

We should start a campaign anyway. He will change his mind once the popular vote is behind him.

Liverpool have opted for one, not sure about the rest but their councils have been proactive unlike ours who can't decide who wants to run things.

A mayor cannot do any worse than our current bunch of green liberalists.

BCAGFC

Unless the new mayor is a green liberalist.

I can't vote for obvious reasons, but that's my worry. A low turn out means the greens and other lefty freaks get a free pass

Nothing has been said about the election format.

I am guessing "first past the post" ?

If so, this should be enough to put the greens and lefties in their place.

We have to stand up to the mark, and vote who we think, best suits our needs... We can make a difference, as the online petition showed 30k...

Agreed, whilst most people have no real reason to vote (realistically most politicians cant be trusted as far as you can through them, and i'd like to through them in the sea). If one solid issue like AV was a real push of voters for the mayor he would have to support it!

Trouble is with Red Trousers although he may not have apposed the stadium, he did appose the Sainsbury's development both are linked. This is a man that says he wants to bring business to Bristol (but only if it is of interest to his company). Be afraid, very afraid!!!! He's only after his only interests.

Council is pretty crap as it is- don't think a huge amount of the transport in Bristol. In the early 1980s there was apparently a grand scheme for some kinda supertram. **** all happened. It's probably time.

One other thing, Sheffield and Liverpool are NOT smaller than Bristol. I don't know why people keep thinking they are, these were big powerhouse industrial cities, and though the industry has now pretty much gone, are still bigger population wise.

Council is pretty crap as it is- don't think a huge amount of the transport in Bristol. In the early 1980s there was apparently a grand scheme for some kinda supertram. **** all happened. It's probably time.

One other thing, Sheffield and Liverpool are NOT smaller than Bristol. I don't know why people keep thinking they are, these were big powerhouse industrial cities, and though the industry has now pretty much gone, are still bigger population wise.

The supertram was the Avon metro http://www.tramdev.clara.net/hist.htm

Would have been very handy for matchday

As someone not in Bristol i was going to ask why the hell you wanted another layer of incompetent assholes to govern the city. But it seems like the council is so bad that anything is better than the status quo.

Laughable.

Chatting to my old man, he is seriously thinking of standing for Mayor. Now that would be interesting.

Stoney Garnett, Lord Mayor of Bristol, got a ring to it.

Why not? London 's got a "joker" in charge.

I don't see the benefits of a mayor in somewhere like Bristol, where he/she will be in conflict with the existing councillors structure. That doesn't happen in London, where there are a large number of local authorities, and the mayor can over-ride them.

Seems a strange decision, and in practice, I doubt it will make much difference. Who on earth is red trousers!? Bristol's red ken?

I don't see the benefits of a mayor in somewhere like Bristol, where he/she will be in conflict with the existing councillors structure. That doesn't happen in London, where there are a large number of local authorities, and the mayor can over-ride them.

Seems a strange decision, and in practice, I doubt it will make much difference. Who on earth is red trousers!? Bristol's red ken?

A mayor can't do any worse than our council, this is a vote against them rather than for a mayor.

Red trousers is George Ferguson, local businessman who makes a lot of money out of pretending to be a hippy.

But if people can't be arsed to vote then they deserve whatever they get.

In a frequently NOC city, I think a mayor could at least cut through the political impasse.

Archived