IGNORED

Bristol's New Mayor

mcbcfc

I don't see the benefits of a mayor in somewhere like Bristol, where he/she will be in conflict with the existing councillors structure. That doesn't happen in London, where there are a large number of local authorities, and the mayor can over-ride them.

Seems a strange decision, and in practice, I doubt it will make much difference. Who on earth is red trousers!? Bristol's red ken?

Boundary of the City of Bristol is very small and when the City have expander the boundary have not ,so we have a situation where 40 per cent of Bristol is not controlled by the council by by other authorities . This create problems when it comes to planning and transport and other such issues.

A new mayor will bring accountability to the people of Bristol which as been lacking .

Bristol have not been good at getting its fair share of government investment in major projects partly because we have 4 local authorities which control certain areas of Bristol . A new mayor could push the idea of Bristol taking control of ALL Bristol.

There is a counter culture in Bristol which runs different to other Cities in England so I wasn't surprised when all other Cities voted no and we voted yes.

The Mayor is all good for Bristol he will have the mandate and the power to get things done .

Bristol is a successful City, in a recent economic report it said that Bristol would be first out of recccesion and well placed economically for the future. Its also top charts for the best City to live in. However we could still do a lot better and a Mayor is ideal to take this City forward.

And wheres his Credentials to run a city? some people thinking if of the planet! He is famous for black adder....end of.

Tony Robbinson as been very active politcaly for years.

He has been a member of the Labour Party NEC

and he as also stood for election in Clifton.

Tony have lived in Bristol for decades , he is intelligent , articulate and well known outside of Bristol.

I think Tony would be an ideal candidate .

Ps and hes City

Bristol is a successful City, in a recent economic report it said that Bristol would be first out of recccesion and well placed economically for the future. Its also top charts for the best City to live in. However we could still do a lot better and a Mayor is ideal to take this City forward.

We could also do less well.

We could probably also spend the estimated £1m cost of the mayor on far more necessary stuff.

We could also do less well.

We could probably also spend the estimated £1m cost of the mayor on far more necessary stuff.

No point banding figures around fron the no campaign I have reports saying a mayor would save us money so I really think its a mute point.

The positives really out weigh the negatives and I think when November the 15th comes around the turnout will be at least 60 percent instead of 25percent you get in local elections .

4 potential mayoral candidates have just been on the Politics Show (West), Peter Abraham (Conservative), Red Trousers (Independant) & 2 randoms.

All spoke well but I did get the feeling that Red Trousers sees this as a big chance to make some cash for himself as well as bringing his tofu munching ethos to the rest of Bristol.

They all seemed to knows Bristol's long standing problems, transport, lack of world class sport stadiums, council wastage, social services etc, etc.

All were asked their views on the stadium debacle, Abrahams said the council is at fault and if a Mayor would have been in charge when it all started, we would have a stadium by now.

Red Trousers wants it built on another site but 100% backs a stadium, the other 2 said heads need to be banged together and get a compromise on the AV site.

BCAGFC

No point banding figures around fron the no campaign I have reports saying a mayor would save us money so I really think its a mute point.

The positives really out weigh the negatives and I think when November the 15th comes around the turnout will be at least 60 percent instead of 25percent you get in local elections .

What do you mean "no point in banding figures around"? That's exactly what you're doing.

4 potential mayoral candidates have just been on the Politics Show (West), Peter Abraham (Conservative), Red Trousers (Independant) & 2 randoms.

All spoke well but I did get the feeling that Red Trousers sees this as a big chance to make some cash for himself as well as bringing his tofu munching ethos to the rest of Bristol.

They all seemed to knows Bristol's long standing problems, transport, lack of world class sport stadiums, council wastage, social services etc, etc.

All were asked their views on the stadium debacle, Abrahams said the council is at fault and if a Mayor would have been in charge when it all started, we would have a stadium by now.

Red Trousers wants it built on another site but 100% backs a stadium, the other 2 said heads need to be banged together and get a compromise on the AV site.

BCAGFC

I wonder where Red Trousers proposes this different site is? I can't think of anywhere else suitable in south Bristol. It's basically a cop out from him. If he was in power when the plans went in front of the council they would never have passed, and city would be even further away from getting a new stadium.I'm still not going to drink in any of his establishments

I wonder where Red Trousers proposes this different site is? I can't think of anywhere else suitable in south Bristol. It's basically a cop out from him. If he was in power when the plans went in front of the council they would never have passed, and city would be even further away from getting a new stadium.I'm still not going to drink in any of his establishments

When he's elected mayor by the 'at least 60% turnout', I guess we'll find out where he has in mind.

I believe that his preferred site is our existing site - a re-developed Ashton Gate. New stadium and no Sainsbury's.

Ideal from his POV.

What do you mean "no point in banding figures around"? That's exactly what you're doing.

On the cost of a new Mayor . You said it would cost a million pound I and the yes campaign dispute that number. The real point is that will it be positive for Bristol and democracy .

If the turn out for a Mayor election is double of a local election surely that is a good thing .

Look at the debate in here and on the pubs on Friday night the main discussion was the mayor this can reconnect the people with politics just like in London and in Scotland and Wales.

On the cost of a new Mayor . You said it would cost a million pound I and the yes campaign dispute that number. The real point is that will it be positive for Bristol and democracy .

If the turn out for a Mayor election is double of a local election surely that is a good thing .

Look at the debate in here and on the pubs on Friday night the main discussion was the mayor this can reconnect the people with politics just like in London and in Scotland and Wales.

It won't be good for Bristol as the transport issues need sorting with the surrounding authorities.

It will be interesting to see what manifestos get brought to the table though

It won't be good for Bristol as the transport issues need sorting with the surrounding authorities.

It will be interesting to see what manifestos get brought to the table though

A new mayor could campaign for a greater Bristol I know that this issue is on the table at a national level.

Unless a mayor has powers that extend over the old Avon area, then they have little more chance of improving the transport situation than the current arrangement. As for planning, that is still controlled by committee as this makes corruption and bribery very difficult when around a dozen councillors are involved. The present Ashton Vale fiasco is due to legislation being used in a way not intended and some apparently inaccurate legal advice. Neither of those things would be affected by an elected mayor.

I hope it doesnt happen personally. South Glos is a great council that has improved key areas like education sine Avon was scrapped.

I'm bemused at your replies. You say a Mayor would not be good for Bristol because it won't be able to sort out transport issues then you go on to say that you want to keep South Glous seprate from Bristol.

I take it you live in South Glos with a " wonderful council" . The trouble is South Glos council only exist because of the Bristol prosperity and the M4 motorway that is why the northern fringe have expanded because of transport links and have suck South Bristol dry.

It is also interesting to note that people on here who seem poo pooing the Mayor don't live in Bristol . Why is that ?

I live in the middle of Bristol.

No, not you, but people living in Birmingham, Cardiff and ahem, South Glos all giving their "expert" opinion on why Bristol doesn't need a mayor on this thread.

There's one basic reason why the "Yes" vote won, that is because the Lib Dems campaigned against it and anything they oppose will be more popular after they've ****** up everything in Bristol over the last few years.

Here's an idea perhaps they can appoint an "independent" inspector to find out why they were defeated....

Good to see Stephen Williams MP interesting in standing for mayor, too, a Welsh Lib Dem, marvellous.

No, not you, but people living in Birmingham, Cardiff and ahem, South Glos all giving their "expert" opinion on why Bristol doesn't need a mayor on this thread.

There's one basic reason why the "Yes" vote won, that is because the Lib Dems campaigned against it and anything they oppose will be more popular after they've ****** up everything in Bristol over the last few years.

Here's an idea perhaps they can appoint an "independent" inspector to find out why they were defeated....

Good to see Stephen Williams MP interesting in standing for mayor, too, a Welsh Lib Dem, marvellous.

I'm afraid that the Tory will get it due to the hopeless likely alternatives. Divide and rule. That's those f**ers way of doing things.

Archived