IGNORED

Should Grant Holt Go To The Euros?

When I first heard the argument my thoughts were 'Don't be ridiculous'. But the stats don't lie. He's the second highest scoring English striker this year behind Rooney.

Nobody knows what style Roy is going to opt for, so Holt may or may not fit the system anyway, but it does open up room for thought...

When I first heard the argument my thoughts were 'Don't be ridiculous'. But the stats don't lie. He's the second highest scoring English striker this year behind Rooney.

Nobody knows what style Roy is going to opt for, so Holt may or may not fit the system anyway, but it does open up room for thought...

What it does demonstrate is that we are up the creek without a paddle if Rooney gets injured / can't be bothered / gets involved in outside "issues" again !

It really is a struggle to pick stikers for the first two games in the Euros based upon the season just gone.

What would be the point? Realistically, England need to look at this tournament as an opportunity to build for towards a good performance at the next world cup. Grant Holt is unlikely to even be playing top level football in 2014, let alone still banging them in. Plus, we need someone who can stay on the pitch for the first two games at least and Holt has a hot temper to match Rooney's. In my opinion he's a flat track bully who's 31 years old and too slow for international football. As much as I think he's over-rated, I'd start Welbeck with Sturridge off him and Walcot and Young either side. Once Rooney's back either move Sturridge wide/drop him or drop Welbeck; presuming we haven't looked like world beaters the first 2 games

What would be the point? Realistically, England need to look at this tournament as an opportunity to build for towards a good performance at the next world cup. Grant Holt is unlikely to even be playing top level football in 2014, let alone still banging them in. Plus, we need someone who can stay on the pitch for the first two games at least and Holt has a hot temper to match Rooney's. In my opinion he's a flat track bully who's 31 years old and too slow for international football. As much as I think he's over-rated, I'd start Welbeck with Sturridge off him and Walcot and Young either side. Once Rooney's back either move Sturridge wide/drop him or drop Welbeck; presuming we haven't looked like world beaters the first 2 games

+1

100% agree mate. Spot on.

Hard to back it up given his good record this season but Holt simply isn't international class. I would be willing to bet any money with anyone, that next season he wont even get 10.

Even so, as you say why bother? He is never in a million years going to play at the next world cup so he should not be anywhere near the squad. Not sure Welbeck is up to it yet, but I think he will be given time. We don't really have anyone else so I would be give him a chance in Rooney's absence.

sturridge upfront doesnt seem right to me, if fit i'll try bent and welbeck with walcott and young out wide.

No way should he be anywhere near the england squad.

Without Rooney for the first 2 games, we should play Welbeck supported by 2 wingers (Young, Chamberlain/Walcott) and when he's back go back to 4-4-2.

Back up strikers - Sturridge, Bent, Defoe

I'm fairly sure Bent's expected return date is the day the euros start, but that's not including time to get fit, so I don't think he'll be going. I'd have Crouch, Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, and maybe defoe. No point in taking Defoe and Bent either, as they're pretty similar, just defoe's not as good.

sturridge upfront doesnt seem right to me, if fit i'll try bent and welbeck with walcott and young out wide.

Yeah, but I wouldn't really play him as a striker; play Young, Sturridge &Walcot (or Oxlade Chamberlain?) in a fluid 3 behind Welbeck as a target man. I don't mean pumping high balls at him, more that the ball goes into the feet and he chases it into the channels

Joe Hart will be number 1 for many years i think

Yeah, Joe Hart is a massive anomaly in recent years. The lad Jack Buckland up at Birmingham is very highly rated but remains to be seen whether he can do the business.

Everyone cast your minds back to when Michael Ricketts was scoring goals for Bolton in a similar vain to what Holt is doing for Norwich now.

Was he international class? Was he ****!

He had a chance of going to the 2002 world cup and we had a lot better strikers than him around at that point! Under no circumstances should Holt be considered.

They already are with the appointment of Hodgson.

10 domestic leagues, 3 domestic cups, 2 Europa cup finals, The only English coach working whose won the LMA award, technical analyst for both FIFA and UEFA,. Speaks 5 languages, and took a country of accountants to 3rd in the world..

But you are right, EUro coaches would have crapped themselves if we had appointed Harry..after all, 1 FA cup (with a budget that bankrupted the club) , 1 div 3 title, an LDV trophy..and all with clubs within 100 miles of his house..that's a track record alright..

Archived