IGNORED

Should Grant Holt Go To The Euros?

10 domestic leagues, 3 domestic cups, 2 Europa cup finals, The only English coach working whose won the LMA award, technical analyst for both FIFA and UEFA,. Speaks 5 languages, and took a country of accountants to 3rd in the world..

Boom.

They already are with the appointment of Hodgson.

Absolutely clueless statement. Whether or not you think he's the right man for the job, his reputation around Europe is MUCH stronger than Redknapps. Sweden are in our group, and he's done fantastically well there.

Anybody think Carroll will go? Hasn't played particularly well but could offer something a little different if we needed to mix things up.

I'd take him! We're not good enough to play with 2 up top from the start! Bent isn't up to it IMO.

If Holt gets a chance then there is a chance for all of us. Ridiculous.

10 domestic leagues, 3 domestic cups, 2 Europa cup finals, The only English coach working whose won the LMA award, technical analyst for both FIFA and UEFA,. Speaks 5 languages, and took a country of accountants to 3rd in the world..

But you are right, EUro coaches would have crapped themselves if we had appointed Harry..after all, 1 FA cup (with a budget that bankrupted the club) , 1 div 3 title, an LDV trophy..and all with clubs within 100 miles of his house..that's a track record alright..

Just wait until we go out in the group stage.

But you are right, EUro coaches would have crapped themselves if we had appointed Harry..after all, 1 FA cup (with a budget that bankrupted the club) , 1 div 3 title, an LDV trophy..and all with clubs within 100 miles of his house..that's a track record alright..

As much as I would have had Harry over Roy you are 100% correct.

If anyone is being totally honest with themselves hodgson is better qualified. I honestly can't see why anyone wouldnt back him??

He isn't as bad as some like to make out. If people think he can't do the England job because of his time at Liverpool then you are deluded. He wasn't given a chance there and 'king kenny' was lurking in the back ground!

Hodgson inherited a mess from Benitez with much less of a budget than 'king kenny'. If he had the time and money he would have at least bought better than that clueless tossed dalglish.

Careful now, you'll have the media after you if you keep pointing out the flaws in the campaign for 'Arry.

Didn't realise this was the Roy Hodgson fan club!

His CV is uninspiring to say the least. Almost 40 years of managerial experience and all he has to show is a few Swedish accolades which he mostly got in the 70's.

He did ok at Fulham with that one fantastic Europa League run but let's not forget the total shambles he created at Liverpool.

I want him to do well but sadly am confident in my belief he will be a complete failure.

Joe Hart is the best goalkeeper in the world in my opinion. Has everything.

Can't agree, this is another example of the media led belief that England are the best at everything we try to do because we dont know whats going on in the rest of the world, then they tear the manager apart cause the players aren't very good, when they get knocked out in the early stages. Hart is the best we have, but he isn't fit to lace Casillias and buffons boots.

His CV is uninspiring to say the least. Almost 40 years of managerial experience and all he has to show is a few Swedish accolades which he mostly got in the 70's.

He did ok at Fulham with that one fantastic Europa League run but let's not forget the total shambles he created at Liverpool.

I want him to do well but sadly am confident in my belief he will be a complete failure.

Can't agree, this is another example of the media led belief that England are the best at everything we try to do because we dont know whats going on in the rest of the world, then they tear the manager apart cause the players aren't very good, when they get knocked out in the early stages. Hart is the best we have, but he isn't fit to lace Casillias and buffons boots.

Not every opinion represented by a football fan has to be 'because of the media'. Hart is young and Casillas and Buffon have had their day... they're class keepers but they won't be round for too much longer. Hart is more than capable at international level as he has proven, we don't have a fantastic squad this year but Rooney and Hart are the two stand outs IMO.. to say Hart isn't fit to lace Casillas's boots is ridiclous and it's way to early in Harts career to make such a judgement.

All he has to show is a "few Swedish accolades", plus a Europa League final with Fulham during a season where they played 63 games. The previous season he took Fulham to their highest ever finish, should West Brom finish 10th this season it would be their highest finish for 31 years.

Roy took Switzerland (a national side, experience England managers haven't had for...at least a fair while) to third in the FIFA World Rankings, and their first appearance at a major tournament in 28 years. He took Finland, who have never qualified for anything, to within 3 points of EURO 2008, beating Poland and Belgium along the way. He left Inter with them 3rd in Serie A.

He did a poor job at Liverpool; but things are hardly rosy 18 months on with tens of millions splashed on the team and it would be wrong to say there weren't/aren't deeper problems at Anfield.

If you're going to make such outlandish statements at least check your facts first.

If you're going to make such outlandish statements at least check your facts first.

I acknowledged his achievements at Fulham and the European run was remarkable.

If you're going to go through every club he's managed, there's just as many failures as he has had successes. City, Blackburn, Copenhagen, UAE, his spell at Inter. It was over the halfway mark in the season, when he was sacked by Liverpool, leaving them just four points clear of the relegation zone, to compare that situation to now is a joke, when they were participating in their second cup final of the season yesterday!

Hodgson is an uninspiring appointment in my eyes and there's nothing that you can say that will change that. I'd love for him to do well and I'm not 'Anti Hodgson' as he has my support, as I said before it's the FA deciding to appoint him that is dissapointing as it has diminished any faint hope we had of having a decent tournament this summer.

Anyway it's rather late so apologies if I don't reply again for a few hours!

I acknowledged his achievements at Fulham and the European run was remarkable.

You mentioned it although you also claimed all he had to show was a few Swedish accolades?

If you're going to go through every club he's managed, there's just as many failures as he has had successes. City, Blackburn, Copenhagen, UAE, his spell at Inter. It was over the halfway mark in the season, when he was sacked by Liverpool, leaving them just four points clear of the relegation zone, to compare that situation to now is a joke, when they were participating in their second cup final of the season yesterday!

I got half way through regurgitating this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Hodgson#Managerial_career before it seemed more sensible to just suggest you read it.

For me Holt should be under serious consideration. The fact that he's the 2nd highest English goalscorer speaks volumes. Players should be taken on form, having earned the right. Holt has certainly done that and therefore I think he should at least be in te provisional squad.

With regards Hodgsons appointment, for me it's hardly inspiring but the chap has a very good CV with international experience. I was on the Redknapp band wagon but in the cold light of day, Hodgson has a better pedigree. I bet Harry thought it was in the bag!!

One or the other for me, the way Carroll played yesterday it would be hard not to take him. He won literally every header after he came on and england would play more to his strengths an Liverpool do

Carroll is a funny one; let's be honest, he's been poor all season though the service he's received at Liverpool has been awful. But if he could play like he did yesterday he'd be a real asset. I just think that it's a risk to basically pick a player on 30 minutes of football. If I was picking my 4 strikers now I'd go for Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge and probably Crouch

English football fans are funny :laughcont:

Some of them anyway, Hodgson has, by and large, been a very good manager throughout his career. Capello and Sven had won titles in Italy and were huge names before taking the job, how did they get on? Hodgson could hardly do much worse...

Archived