IGNORED

England At Euro 2012

durhamred13

Apologies if this thread already exists but I've been thinking about who will go to the Euros for England and thought that since our season is over a discussion into who warrants a place could be interesting. My 23-man squad would be as follows:

Goalkeepers:

Hart

Green

Who knows - Ruddy, Foster?

Defenders:

Richards

Johnson

Terry

Ferdinand

Cahill

Lescott

Cole

Baines

Midfielders:

Lampard

Gerrard

Barry

Carrick

Parker

Young

Milner

Strikers:

Rooney

Sturridge

Welbeck

Walcott

Crouch

I would like to see a back four of Richards, Terry, Cahill and Cole mainly because of the fact that 3 of the four play together at club level and it might provide a solid backline.

Sturridge, Welbeck and Walcott can obviously all play on the wing, so give us good attacking options but without leaving us short in midfield.

I wouldn't play Lampard and Gerrard together, for obvious reasons, but I think it would be a good option to be able to bring the one who isn't playing on late on in a game as an impact sub.

Your thoughts?

Apologies if this thread already exists but I've been thinking about who will go to the Euros for England and thought that since our season is over a discussion into who warrants a place could be interesting. My 23-man squad would be as follows:

Goalkeepers:

Hart

Green

Defenders:

Richards

Johnson

Terry

Ferdinand

Cahill

Lescott

Cole

Baines

Midfielders:

Lampard

Gerrard

Barry

Carrick

Parker

Young

Milner

Strikers:

Rooney

Sturridge

Welbeck

Walcott

Crouch

I would like to see a back four of Richards, Terry, Cahill and Cole mainly because of the fact that 3 of the four play together at club level and it might provide a solid backline.

Sturridge, Welbeck and Walcott can obviously all play on the wing, so give us good attacking options but without leaving us short in midfield.

I wouldn't play Lampard and Gerrard together, for obvious reasons, but I think it would be a good option to be able to bring the one who isn't playing on late on in a game as an impact sub.

Your thoughts?

You wouldn't take Walker to the Euro's?

I'd also hope Roy could convince Scholes to play.

Goalkeepers:

Hart

Green

Defenders:

Richards

Johnson

Terry

Ferdinand

Cahill

Lescott

Cole

Baines

Midfielders:

Lampard

Gerrard

Barry

Carrick

Parker

Young

Milner

Strikers:

Rooney

Sturridge

Welbeck

Walcott

Crouch

Your thoughts?

Wouldn't take Welbeck or Rooney, I also wouldn't take Terry, a lot of players do not like the guy, captain or no captain, there is a lot of hate for him in football, can't imagine a lot of players would want to associate with him.

No Rooney, sorry, if you are not availble for being a stupid ****, then you don't go, we are taking a passenger, who may not even play, what if we have a injury criis and we need strikers in the group stage, ut we can't field any due to a waste of a place taking up a squad number?!

I would swap Jones for Terry, Bent (if fit) for Rooney, Walker for Johnson and take chamberlain for Welbeck.

I would also think about a something from leftfield, a Joe Cole for Milner, I've always rated Cole, he has had a cracking year in France and Milner is way out of form for Man City and is not being selected so much.

Wouldn't take Welbeck or Rooney, I also wouldn't take Terry, a lot of players do not like the guy, captain or no captain, there is a lot of hate for him in football, can't imagine a lot of players would want to associate with him.

No Rooney, sorry, if you are not availble for being a stupid ****, then you don't go, we are taking a passenger, who may not even play, what if we have a injury criis and we need strikers in the group stage, ut we can't field any due to a waste of a place taking up a squad number?!

I would swap Jones for Terry, Bent (if fit) for Rooney, Walker for Johnson and take chamberlain for Welbeck.

I would also think about a something from leftfield, a Joe Cole for Milner, I've always rated Cole, he has had a cracking year in France and Milner is way out of form for Man City and is not being selected so much.

You wouldn't take England's best player or best striker?

Thank **** you aren't the manager.

I would also love to see Scholes there but don't think it will happen unfortunately

No, not if he is not available. You cannot take passengers imo

Now if he was unavailable for 1 game I would take him, that said, I still don't rate him, but he is etter than most strikers we have.

No, he is unavailable for too many games, you cannot take passengers, If you have played any team sports, surely you would know that.

If it was only 1 game I would take him, he is better than most available, but that ain't saying a lot

Carroll was class in th cup final and played well tonight by the sounds of it. Ok he will always miss some sitters but so does powderpuff crouch...

Carol will be more of a help than hindrance, Euro refs will constantly be blowing up for fouls whether they are or not. I can see why you would want to take him, but for the reason given, tis a no from me.

Guest bywaterred

No, he is unavailable for too many games, you cannot take passengers, If you have played any team sports, surely you would know that.

If it was only 1 game I would take him, he is better than most available, but that ain't saying a lot

Yes your right. Why should someone else get us through the group matches and then Rooney walks in and takes the place of one of them? The blokes a ****

He's unavailable for 2 games.. if we get through the group and we don't have Rooney and we go out everyone will be asking why didn't we take him?

You take your best possible team to tournaments, he's a passenger for 2 games but he could end up being vital in our chances to have a good tournament. We aren't blessed with great strikers, he is our only top quality striker.

Carol will be more of a help than hindrance, Euro refs will constantly be blowing up for fouls whether they are or not. I can see why you would want to take him, but for the reason given, tis a no from me.

He has tortured Ivanovic and Terry the last two games, far better option than Crouch or Holt

He's unavailable for 2 games.. if we get through the group and we don't have Rooney and we go out everyone will be asking why didn't we take him?

You take your best possible team to tournaments, he's a passenger for 2 games but he could end up being vital in our chances to have a good tournament. We aren't blessed with great strikers, he is our only top quality striker.

we might not get through because of him being a numpty. But you are right, i forgot he got a game rescinded down to 2.

I do think he is a bit of a liability, he is such a arrogant loudmouth **** who is liable to get red carded or yellow carded at vital times. Although he may have learnt, judging by the yellow cards he has got this season. And as I have said many times, Rooney just does not show up in international tournament football, time and time again he turns up and doers nothing, if fact, I don't think he has scored for us tournament footie, but I could be wrong.

Funny thing I saw quoted, Capello would not pick Joey Barton because he could no trust him not to pick up yellow and red cards...... Now look at the red and yellow card history of Rooney vs Barton :)

He has tortured Ivanovic and Terry the last two games, far better option than Crouch or Holt

I

agree, but refs wouldn't let him do it at international footie, whistle would keep blowing

we might not get through because of him being a numpty. But you are right, i forgot he got a game rescinded down to 2.

I do think he is a bit of a liability, he is such a arrogant loudmouth **** who is liable to get red carded or yellow carded at vital times. Although he may have learnt, judging by the yellow cards he has got this season. And as I have said many times, Rooney just does not show up in international tournament football, time and time again he turns up and doers nothing, if fact, I don't think he has scored for us tournament footie, but I could be wrong.

Funny thing I saw quoted, Capello would not pick Joey Barton because he could no trust him not to pick up yellow and red cards...... Now look at the red and yellow card history of Rooney vs Barton :)

Rooney picked up his first booking of the season on Sunday and you say he hasn't really done it at International level, very little england players have, Crouch has looking at his record. I still think it would be madness to not take Wayne, he could really do something special (he is now approaching his prime aswell)

Who knows, but I for one would definitely take him.

Rooney picked up his first booking of the season on Sunday and you say he hasn't really done it at International level, very little england players have, Crouch has looking at his record. I still think it would be madness to not take Wayne, he could really do something special (he is now approaching his prime aswell)

Who knows, but I for one would definitely take him.

I agree, very few have done it at international level. But as our main striker, one of his primary roles is to score goals. history says he doesn't in tournaments.

Hey, if he goes, lets hope he can get that duck off his back. But I wouldn't take him.

• Admin

And as I have said many times, Rooney just does not show up in international tournament football, time and time again he turns up and doers nothing, if fact, I don't think he has scored for us tournament footie, but I could be wrong.

Talking World Cup Finals you are correct. 0 goals, 8 appearances.

Talking Euro Finals you are wrong. 4 goals, 4 appearances.

So take him this Summer & leave him out in 2 years time it is :)

• Admin

I agree, very few have done it at international level. But as our main striker, one of his primary roles is to score goals. history says he doesn't in tournaments.

Hey, if he goes, lets hope he can get that duck off his back. But I wouldn't take him.

See previous reply.

No, not if he is not available. You cannot take passengers imo

Now if he was unavailable for 1 game I would take him, that said, I still don't rate him, but he is etter than most strikers we have.

The same Rooney who has scored more goals in the league than every other English striker this season and is joint 9th in the England scoring records and has scored in international tournaments. Has won PFA young player of the year, player of the year, fans player of the year, 3x member of team of the year (including this year) FIFPro World young player of year, UEFA Euro Euro 2004 team player of the tournament, 2x England player of the year.

Perhaps it's the midfield that is the issue with England as after all, we keep saying we (City) could have ayone upfront but if we don't have creative midfielders they won't score.

Sorry that this sounds like a rant but it get's my goat up when people want us to leave one of probably only 3 world class players we have at home.

We have such a lack of world class players that you have to take Rooney for me. We have hardly any options upfront as well so it is a given he will be going and rightly so even if he can play just one game.

I wouldn't take Terry though. He was shocking tonight and has been for most of the season.

Keepers: Hart, Foster and Carson

Defenders: Walker, Richards, Cole, Baines, Lescott, Cahill, Ferdinand and Jagielka.

Midfielders: Lennon, Parker, Gerrard, Lampard, Young, Milner, Walcott and Johnson

Strikers: Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge and Crouch

Those who would miss out narrowly are Phil Jones (will be good in years to come) and Carick. I would probably take Bent if he was fit over any of the strikers except Rooney.

Sadly I think Barry will go as we don't have many options in CM.

Defenders: Walker, Richards, Cole, Baines, Lescott, Cahill, Ferdinand and Jagielka.

Midfielders: Lennon, Parker, Gerrard, Lampard, Young, Milner, Walcott and Johnson

Would probably swap Jones for Jagielka and I hate the fact we have to take Milner and Barry, although maybe Oxlaid-chamberlain for Milner? Other than that I don't think you'll be far off. Hasn't Foster retired/given up on International footie?

Would probably swap Jones for Jagielka and I hate the fact we have to take Milner and Barry, although maybe Oxlaid-chamberlain for Milner? Other than that I don't think you'll be far off. Hasn't Foster retired/given up on International footie?

Oxlade-Chamberlain is a fair shout and has an outside chance. As I said with Jones, he isn't far away but probably needs another season. Jagielka played really well against Spain and that is why I would give him a nod.

If Foster has then Carson or Green but neither will play.

Guest daver181

don't think you can overlook grant holt so easily second top english goal scorer in the Premier League and hasn't even started week in week out for Norwich.

We have such a lack of world class players that you have to take Rooney for me. We have hardly any options upfront as well so it is a given he will be going and rightly so even if he can play just one game.

I wouldn't take Terry though. He was shocking tonight and has been for most of the season.

Those who would miss out narrowly are Phil Jones (will be good in years to come) and Carick. I would probably take Bent if he was fit over any of the strikers except Rooney.

Sadly I think Barry will go as we don't have many options in CM.

Would like to see us go 3 4 3, playing like Bilbao. This will be the main tactical trend of the tournament. We have the players to do this. Wonder if Woy is considering it. No point even considering Terry and Ferdinand. Both past it and divisive figures.

Barry was class against Manure last week. Would be amazed if he doesn't go.

GK Hart, Foster, AN other

Defenders Walker, Richards/Jones, A Cole, Baines, Lescott, Caulker, Cahill, Smalling

Midfield Lampard, Barry, Parker, Young, Milner, Gerrard, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Carrick

Strikers Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Sturridge

Starting XI

Hart

Jones/Richards Cahill Lescott

Walker/Milner Barry Lampard/Gerrard A Cole

Oxlade-Chamberlain Carroll Young

Woy has got this tournament as a freebie. No expectation, so he might as well look longer term with personnel and tactics.

Anyone think we should use this tournament purely to prepare for the World Cup. I personally think players who are going to be around and in there prime in 2016. Players like Lampard and Terry etc are a waste of time!

I would go for:

Hart, Foster, Ruddy

Walker, Richards, Ferdinand, Cahill, Smalling, Lescott, Cole, Baines

Walcott, Lennon, Gerrard, Parker, Lampard, Carrick, Young,

Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Sturridge, Bent

Although I wouldn't usually take Bent due to missing the end of the season through injury and have been critical of England managers in the past taking players that aren't match fit I feel at the moment it is necessary to take the gamble. He is really the only one of our out and out forwards (Rooney is much better playing in the hole in my opinion) that is a natural goal scorer. Due to Bent obviously being a gamble and Rooney missing the first two games we will have to take 5 strikers, although Welbeck and Sturridge can obviously operate on the wings of a 5 man midfield if required.

My starting team for the first game would be:

Hart

Walker Ferdinand Cahill Cole

Parker Carrick

Walcott Gerrard Young

Welbeck (Bent if he has featured in the friendlies and impressed in training)

When Rooney returns for the first game I would bring him in for Carrick with Gerrard pushing further back and Rooney operating behind the lone frontman.

GK: HART, Foster, Ruddy

RB: RICHARDS, Walker

CB: FERDINAND, CAHILL, Smalling, Jones

LB: COLE, Baines

CM: CARRICK, PARKER, Gerrard, (Scholes if tempted out of retirement)/ Barry

W: OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN, YOUNG, Walcott, Johnson

ST: ROONEY, WELBECK, Sturridge, Carroll, Bent

I should be England manager

whoever England take, the squad will still be well short of what is needed to win it....however i agree with OP, put walker in with Terry, cahill and cole then at least we will have a solid back line and be difficult to break down, which will always give England a chance to steal a sneaky win

Would like to see us go 3 4 3, playing like Bilbao. This will be the main tactical trend of the tournament. We have the players to do this. Wonder if Woy is considering it. No point even considering Terry and Ferdinand. Both past it and divisive figures.

Barry was class against Manure last week. Would be amazed if he doesn't go.

GK Hart, Foster, AN other

Defenders Walker, Richards/Jones, A Cole, Baines, Lescott, Caulker, Cahill, Smalling

Midfield Lampard, Barry, Parker, Young, Milner, Gerrard, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Carrick

Strikers Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Sturridge

Starting XI

Hart

Jones/Richards Cahill Lescott

Walker/Milner Barry Lampard/Gerrard A Cole

Oxlade-Chamberlain Carroll Young

Woy has got this tournament as a freebie. No expectation, so he might as well look longer term with personnel and tactics.

We won't play a 3-4-3, for all the furore over Bilbao taking apart a decidedly disinterested Manchester Utd team, they are a mid table La Liga side with a few exceptional players who actually play 4-1-2-3 as the 'centre back' plays as a sweeper and the wide players in the midfield are just attacking full backs. Who else has succeeded in recent years with a similar formation? Barcelona tried it this year and lost their La Liga and Champions League titles. far from being progressive it harks back to the days of wing halves and outside halves. None of the players in our squad will play in a back 3 for their club and so why would it make sense to try it now? I agree with others sentiments regarding building towards 2014 but we don't new to do anything radical, just bring some young players in. Not suggesting this will be the team for the opening game but how for. Mix of youth and experience, how about;

Hart

Richards. Cahill. Jones. Cole

Parker. Rodwell

Young. Sturridge. Walcott

Welbeck

Perhaps bring Gerrard in somewhere to had some experience in midfield

We won't play a 3-4-3, for all the furore over Bilbao taking apart a decidedly disinterested Manchester Utd team, they are a mid table La Liga side with a few exceptional players who actually play 4-1-2-3 as the 'centre back' plays as a sweeper and the wide players in the midfield are just attacking full backs. Who else has succeeded in recent years with a similar formation? Barcelona tried it this year and lost their La Liga and Champions League titles. far from being progressive it harks back to the days of wing halves and outside halves. None of the players in our squad will play in a back 3 for their club and so why would it make sense to try it now? I agree with others sentiments regarding building towards 2014 but we don't new to do anything radical, just bring some young players in. Not suggesting this will be the team for the opening game but how for. Mix of youth and experience, how about;

Hart

Richards. Cahill. Jones. Cole

Parker. Rodwell

Young. Sturridge. Walcott

Welbeck

Perhaps bring Gerrard in somewhere to had some experience in midfield

That team would be crushed, understand where you are coming from but hardly any big tournament experience in that team bar Cole, and far too lightweight up front, Welbeck, Sturridge and Young are vastly over-rated. If England are to do anything then the spine has to be there and that means Terry, Gerrard/Lampard, Rooney (once available) all have to start. I would take Crouch and play him first two games, he has the experience and know how to help us get to the 3rd game with a chance of qualifying when Rooney becomes available

----------------------Hart-------------------

Walker-------Terry-----Cahill-------Cole

-----------Parker------Scholes----------

Ox-Cham------Gerrard--------Young

-----------------Carroll------------------

Rooney to come in when available unless Carroll is scoring loads, I think ox-chamberlain could be a surprise package as Rooney was in 2004. Bit worried about centre backs, I think Ferdinand has lost it completely and Terry isn't far behind. Would be tempted by Lescott instead but experience counts for a lot in these tournaments. Our only sure positions are the goalkeeper and left back...

GK Hart, Ruddy, Green

Defenders Walker, Richards, Jones, A Cole, Baines, Lescott, Jag, Cahill, Shawccross

Midfield Parker, Young, Milner, Gerrard, Walcott, Johnson, Henderson

Strikers Rooney, Carroll, Crouch, Holt/Graham

Thats what i would take,

GK: Hart, Foster, Ruddy

DF: Richards, Walker, Jones, Terry, Cahill, Lescott, Cole, Baines

MF: Walcott, Gerrard, Parker ©, Barry, Lampard,Young, Milner

FW: Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Carroll, Bent/Defoe

Can't believe people would take Walcott!! The guy is gash.

GOALKEEPERS: Hart, Foster, Robinson

DEFENDERS: Walker, Richards. Terry, Cahill, Ferdinand, Lescott. Cole, Baines.

MIDFIELDERS: Sturridge, Lennon. Gerrard, Lampard. Parker, Carrick. Young, Johnson.

FORWARDS: Rooney, Welbeck, Carroll, Defoe.

But before I put that squad in, I'd sit Terry and Ferdinand down and say, can you two be trusted in the same camp, or are you gonna cause a divide like you did in 2010 . . . If you both are coming, I need proof blah blah blah.

Id like to see us take a chance and stick a few of the younger, less capped players in. Its a great opportunity to get them some experience to build on for 2014, expectation on England to do anything at this tournament is as low as i can remember. Even if they did not do well, it can only help make them better players going forward.

The likes of Terry, Ferdinand, Lampard and Gerrard should be nowhere near the squad come the next World Cup and have already had plenty of chances at this level to achieve something. I wouldn't be that bothered if most of them didn't even make this squad.

what??? really? not from what i have seen

did you watch the liverpool game last night?

Terry was at fault for 3 of the 4 goals, 70% of the england squad dislike him he's got no pace anymore and questionable postioning,

His attudie stinks (see the barca game)

Rio is too injury prone now

Can't believe people would take Walcott!! The guy is gash.

GOALKEEPERS: Hart, Foster, Robinson

DEFENDERS: Walker, Richards. Terry, Cahill, Ferdinand, Lescott. Cole, Baines.

MIDFIELDERS: Sturridge, Lennon. Gerrard, Lampard. Parker, Carrick. Young, Johnson.

FORWARDS: Rooney, Welbeck, Carroll, Defoe.

But before I put that squad in, I'd sit Terry and Ferdinand down and say, can you two be trusted in the same camp, or are you gonna cause a divide like you did in 2010 . . . If you both are coming, I need proof blah blah blah.

You. Will need to sit terry down with.. walker, lescott, Richards, Ferdinand, Lennon, young, welbeck and Defoe.

Then add in plenty of others who dislike the bloke.

If he has done something bad enough in the fa's eyes to strip him of the captaincy, surely he should be stripped of his place entirely, especially if this is a standards to be showing youngsters issue!

----------------------Hart-------------------

Walker-------Terry-----Cahill-------Cole

-----------Parker------Scholes----------

Ox-Cham------Gerrard--------Young

-----------------Carroll------------------

Rooney to come in when available unless Carroll is scoring loads, I think ox-chamberlain could be a surprise package as Rooney was in 2004. Bit worried about centre backs, I think Ferdinand has lost it completely and Terry isn't far behind. Would be tempted by Lescott instead but experience counts for a lot in these tournaments. Our only sure positions are the goalkeeper and left back...

totally agree with that team - I think that defense is very solid especially as 3 of them play for the same team.

did you watch the liverpool game last night?

Terry was at fault for 3 of the 4 goals, 70% of the england squad dislike him he's got no pace anymore and questionable postioning,

His attudie stinks (see the barca game)

Rio is too injury prone now

Terry used to be a good prem defender, never a international. He isn't even that anymore. He got ripped a new one by a carthorse. Once terry is beaten for strength and Ariel ability, there ain't much left. Agree with monkeh.

Carroll has to go. Great option off the bench

In principle I would agree, however ...

Unfortunately, he will give away endless free kicks as his physical prescence will not be tolerated by powder-puff foreign players and referees.

GK Hart, Ruddy, Green

Defenders Walker, Richards, Jones, A Cole, Baines, Lescott, Jag, Cahill, Shawccross

Midfield Parker, Young, Milner, Gerrard, Walcott, Johnson, Henderson

Strikers Rooney, Carroll, Crouch, Holt/Graham

Thats what i would take,

I like your team, Monkeh. I'd take Carson and Foster over Green and Ruddy, but Ruddy probably deserves a spot as much as either of those to be fair.

I'd not take Shawcross, never been a fan, and I'd bring in an extra striker or midfielder.

That team would be crushed, understand where you are coming from but hardly any big tournament experience in that team bar Cole, and far too lightweight up front, Welbeck, Sturridge and Young are vastly over-rated. If England are to do anything then the spine has to be there and that means Terry, Gerrard/Lampard, Rooney (once available) all have to start. I would take Crouch and play him first two games, he has the experience and know how to help us get to the 3rd game with a chance of qualifying when Rooney becomes available

As I said, not the team that will start the first game but one that looks towards the next tournament. I also disagree about my front line being overrated; they have pace in abundance which would allow us to play counter attacking football which is the only way we'll get anywhere. However, talking of overrated I just can't believe how many people would still pick Terry and Lampard. Terry was embarrassed last night, was embarrassing getting sent off against Barca and can't play anyone with a reasonable turn of pace. His own pace is poor and while his positioning is good, his lack of anticipation of what a forward is going to do means he ends up getting caught out anyway. And as for Fat Frank, the greatest trick he ever pulled was convincing anyone he is an international class midfielder. He can run into the box and finish. That is it. He's an average passer, he takes up poor positions in the middle of the park and he has no vision. He's like a paupers Paul Scholes even now and I wouldn't take Scholes. Fair enough, put Gerrard in behind Welbeck and leave Sturridge on the bench but we need to be looking beyond a tournament we're unlikely to win, like Germany did at the previous World Cup

Terry used to be a good prem defender, never a international. He isn't even that anymore. He got ripped a new one by a carthorse. Once terry is beaten for strength and Ariel ability, there ain't much left. Agree with monkeh.

Carroll is exceptionally good in the air and is very strong - there aren't many Targetmen with as much of a physical presence. In the leading European nation sides I can't think of many with as good targetman attributes as Carroll so it would be rare for Terry to get completely overpowered as he did. I think the bigger problem with taking him, which you mentioned, is whether he will divide the camp. His antics in South Africa and his latest misdemeanors this season make it a huge risk with regard to that.

In principle I would agree, however ...

Unfortunately, he will give away endless free kicks as his physical prescence will not be tolerated by powder-puff foreign players and referees.

He also scored a pathetic 6 league goals this season, has a dodgy first touch, no left foot and as you say will commit masses of fouls against centre backs.

Having said that apart from the suspended Rooney we have a selection of big club back ups to choose from (Defoe, Wellbeck, Sturridge), or players who have doubtful international pedigree, Crouch, (prolific against the likes of Trinidad and Tobago) and Bent, who is a phenomenal Prem scorer but doesn't have what it takes against a top side and is injured anyway.

Not sure it matters, to be honest.

I find it increasingly hard to get excited by the prospect of watching England, or particularly caring as to how they do. A few things that I would say though:

1) Henderson should be nowhere near the team

2) Oxlade-Chamberlain should go in place of Walcott

3) Terry should be placed under house arrest and thus forbidden to ever step foot on a football pitch again

4) The forward line should be Rooney and 3 other names drawn out of a tombola, all others are equally dismal

5) If Carrick can't get in the squad ahead of Barry, Milner, Parker, Lampard and Gerrard, I am surprised SAF has not passed his contact details to the Samaritans.

Ultimately, I would now trade England ever making a finals before I die if it enabled City to win a trophy of note.

4) The forward line should be Rooney and 3 other names drawn out of a tombola, all others are equally dismal

You'll need to draw from the tombola twice for the first 2 games. Rooney ain't playing.

Agree that neither Terry or Ferdinand are good enough any more but not that Smalling is anywhere near international class. He makes Rio look like he has a phd...

Lescott is the best of a very average bunch of centre halves..

Agree, ferdinand, as much as I like him, well his day is over.

cahill I think coluld be our one hope. Jones, well i would take him, no where near the finished article, but I like what I see, he has something about him, I hope he progreses

I find it increasingly hard to get excited by the prospect of watching England, or particularly caring as to how they do. A few things that I would say though:

3) Terry should be placed under house arrest and thus forbidden to ever step foot on a football pitch again

5) If Carrick can't get in the squad ahead of Barry, Milner, Parker, Lampard and Gerrard, I am surprised SAF has not passed his contact details to the Samaritans.

Ultimately, I would now trade England ever making a finals before I die if it enabled City to win a trophy of note.

Joe Cole as wild card for me, having a great season in France, and does have the required technical ability than may of our midfielders.

Walcott is Arsenal's second top goal scorer and top of the assits I think chambilin struggles to get off the bench

Joe Cole as wild card for me, having a great season in France, and does have the required technical ability than may of our midfielders.

I gorgot about joe cole I'd take him instead of henderson in my team

Having seen some of the suggestions people have made I've got to question whether some of these players should go. Lots of people suggesting take Foster as a keeper but didn't he retire from international football to focus on his club career? Ruddy is a good shout, but bear in mind these 2nd / 3rd keepers will only actually play if Hart gets injured which is unlikely.

I think Richards is by far the best right back, he's got the whole package. My only concern is I'm not sure what his fitness levels are like due to the fact he's not been playing week in week out for city. For me it's Richards > Johnson > Kyle - I run fast down the wing - Walker. Obviously the only viable left backs to take are Cole and Baines.

The centre back problem is a difficult one. Terry and Ferdinand are past it in my opinion. I'd personally go for Lescott and Cahill. Lescott has been incredible for City this season and Kompany has taken all the praise but he deserves a lot. A definite starter IMO. I think Jones should go, he's in experienced but incredible versatile whether it be centre half, right back or centre mid he's very good at all 3. And slightly irrelevant but he is an incredible finisher when he gets the chance.

Henderson has done nothing to merit going. The boy obviously has talent, he's just not very good at applying it at the moment. Had the Euro's been a year earlier and we'd been faced with this selection after his last season at Sunderland then yes, but not after this season. I highly doubt Roy can tempt Scholes out of retirement, would be great but I'm not pinning my hopes on it. As for the centre mids, it very much depends on what formation he's going to play. If its a 4-2-3-1, I'd take Barry, but in a 4-4-2 there is no chance I would. Parker is a definite starter no matter what the formation. Gerrard and Lampard both need to go as despite age both are fantastic players. Speaking of Gerrard I'd like to see him captain the team.

Wingers. Young definitely. Adam Johnson, definitely. He is an incredible player and really needs to move away from Man City as he'd be a first team starter anywhere else. Despite his form this season, and I know that this contradicts with why I wouldn't take Henderson but I think Downing needs to go for depth, not very many left sided players at our disposal. Do we take The Ox? His age could be a problem but he is a very mature young lad and very intelligent on the ball. He's a better option than Walcott I think and could be a real wildcard for us, he's got something different from everyone else in our team.

Finally forwards. Despite his suspension Rooney has to go despite what some people are saying. Along with him I'd take Crouch, Welbeck and Carroll. I think Sturridge will develop into a very good player but he's not it at the moment. He's not a winger, and he's not had enough game time as a striker to merit going. He gets very frustrated when things don't go his way and could be a liability on the pitch. Welbeck works very hard unlike Sturridge and has had game time upfront. Crouch has a very good England record and I cannot believe he didn't get more time at the World Cup. I know you can't take a player on 2 games' form, but Carroll has showed he can be a great player. He's got a great physical presence in the box and is surprisingly technical when he wants to be.

Having seen some of the suggestions people have made I've got to question whether some of these players should go. Lots of people suggesting take Foster as a keeper but didn't he retire from international football to focus on his club career? Ruddy is a good shout, but bear in mind these 2nd / 3rd keepers will only actually play if Hart gets injured which is unlikely.

I think Richards is by far the best right back, he's got the whole package. My only concern is I'm not sure what his fitness levels are like due to the fact he's not been playing week in week out for city. For me it's Richards > Johnson > Kyle - I run fast down the wing - Walker. Obviously the only viable left backs to take are Cole and Baines.

The centre back problem is a difficult one. Terry and Ferdinand are past it in my opinion. I'd personally go for Lescott and Cahill. Lescott has been incredible for City this season and Kompany has taken all the praise but he deserves a lot. A definite starter IMO. I think Jones should go, he's in experienced but incredible versatile whether it be centre half, right back or centre mid he's very good at all 3. And slightly irrelevant but he is an incredible finisher when he gets the chance.

Henderson has done nothing to merit going. The boy obviously has talent, he's just not very good at applying it at the moment. Had the Euro's been a year earlier and we'd been faced with this selection after his last season at Sunderland then yes, but not after this season. I highly doubt Roy can tempt Scholes out of retirement, would be great but I'm not pinning my hopes on it. As for the centre mids, it very much depends on what formation he's going to play. If its a 4-2-3-1, I'd take Barry, but in a 4-4-2 there is no chance I would. Parker is a definite starter no matter what the formation. Gerrard and Lampard both need to go as despite age both are fantastic players. Speaking of Gerrard I'd like to see him captain the team.

Wingers. Young definitely. Adam Johnson, definitely. He is an incredible player and really needs to move away from Man City as he'd be a first team starter anywhere else. Despite his form this season, and I know that this contradicts with why I wouldn't take Henderson but I think Downing needs to go for depth, not very many left sided players at our disposal. Do we take The Ox? His age could be a problem but he is a very mature young lad and very intelligent on the ball. He's a better option than Walcott I think and could be a real wildcard for us, he's got something different from everyone else in our team.

Finally forwards. Despite his suspension Rooney has to go despite what some people are saying. Along with him I'd take Crouch, Welbeck and Carroll. I think Sturridge will develop into a very good player but he's not it at the moment. He's not a winger, and he's not had enough game time as a striker to merit going. He gets very frustrated when things don't go his way and could be a liability on the pitch. Welbeck works very hard unlike Sturridge and has had game time upfront. Crouch has a very good England record and I cannot believe he didn't get more time at the World Cup. I know you can't take a player on 2 games' form, but Carroll has showed he can be a great player. He's got a great physical presence in the box and is surprisingly technical when he wants to be.

Agree with that - very well thought out post. Only thing I'm not sure on is Glen Johnson, never been totally convinced by him but don't think there's that much seperating him and Walker. Would probably prefer Walker and he has had a very good season this year. Would love to see Scholes go, think he could be essential if we are to have a credible chance of achieving anything respectable. His experience and ability on the ball would be a real asset.

Agree with that - very well thought out post. Only thing I'm not sure on is Glen Johnson, never been totally convinced by him but don't think there's that much seperating him and Walker. Would probably prefer Walker and he has had a very good season this year. Would love to see Scholes go, think he could be essential if we are to have a credible chance of achieving anything respectable. His experience and ability on the ball would be a real asset.

Walker can defend and is quick, Johnson can't defend and is quick

Guest daver181

GK - Hart, Foster, Ruddy

DF - walker, Johnson, Terry, Ferdinand, Cahill, Smalling, Baines, Cole

MF - Oxlade-Chamberlain, Parker, Gerrard, Lampard, Young, Milner, Sturridge

FW - Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Bent

Hart

Walker Terry Cahill Cole

Parker Gerrard

Oxlade-Chamberlain Sturridge Young

Welbeck (swap Sturridge for Rooney)

Did you see the FA cup final? The guy absolutely destroyed Chelsea (3/4ths of the England back four)...

I did, and many other games this season.

He ain't bad, he ain't 35 millions worth, and he surely isn't a international.

And of course, it is easy for a sub to look good, far more energy to use. Then play them again a few days later having basically had a warm up, where Chelsea back line had played the full 90.

Looking good against terry isn't hard nowadays.

He is a average premier league striker, nothing more nothing less. Not quite sure why people get excited about the bloke after a few good games, by in large he has been poor, his finishing is pretty woeful as well apart from a 8 match purple patch for Newcastle.

Poor man's Duncan Ferguson

I'm not sure it really matters. Our record (euro 96 aside) in this tournament is terrible. My hope is that with Hodgson at the helm, he'll look to pick the best eleven that can play together. If some of the champagne charlies have to make way then so be it.

If we can't win it, lets at least try and look like a competent team this time.

Archived