IGNORED

England At Euro 2012

durhamred13

Apologies if this thread already exists but I've been thinking about who will go to the Euros for England and thought that since our season is over a discussion into who warrants a place could be interesting. My 23-man squad would be as follows:

Goalkeepers:

Hart

Green

Who knows - Ruddy, Foster?

Defenders:

Richards

Johnson

Terry

Ferdinand

Cahill

Lescott

Cole

Baines

Midfielders:

Lampard

Gerrard

Barry

Carrick

Parker

Young

Milner

Strikers:

Rooney

Sturridge

Welbeck

Walcott

Crouch

I would like to see a back four of Richards, Terry, Cahill and Cole mainly because of the fact that 3 of the four play together at club level and it might provide a solid backline.

Sturridge, Welbeck and Walcott can obviously all play on the wing, so give us good attacking options but without leaving us short in midfield.

I wouldn't play Lampard and Gerrard together, for obvious reasons, but I think it would be a good option to be able to bring the one who isn't playing on late on in a game as an impact sub.

Your thoughts?

Apologies if this thread already exists but I've been thinking about who will go to the Euros for England and thought that since our season is over a discussion into who warrants a place could be interesting. My 23-man squad would be as follows:

Goalkeepers:

Hart

Green

Defenders:

Richards

Johnson

Terry

Ferdinand

Cahill

Lescott

Cole

Baines

Midfielders:

Lampard

Gerrard

Barry

Carrick

Parker

Young

Milner

Strikers:

Rooney

Sturridge

Welbeck

Walcott

Crouch

I would like to see a back four of Richards, Terry, Cahill and Cole mainly because of the fact that 3 of the four play together at club level and it might provide a solid backline.

Sturridge, Welbeck and Walcott can obviously all play on the wing, so give us good attacking options but without leaving us short in midfield.

I wouldn't play Lampard and Gerrard together, for obvious reasons, but I think it would be a good option to be able to bring the one who isn't playing on late on in a game as an impact sub.

Your thoughts?

You wouldn't take Walker to the Euro's?

I'd also hope Roy could convince Scholes to play.

Goalkeepers:

Hart

Green

Defenders:

Richards

Johnson

Terry

Ferdinand

Cahill

Lescott

Cole

Baines

Midfielders:

Lampard

Gerrard

Barry

Carrick

Parker

Young

Milner

Strikers:

Rooney

Sturridge

Welbeck

Walcott

Crouch

Your thoughts?

Wouldn't take Welbeck or Rooney, I also wouldn't take Terry, a lot of players do not like the guy, captain or no captain, there is a lot of hate for him in football, can't imagine a lot of players would want to associate with him.

No Rooney, sorry, if you are not availble for being a stupid ****, then you don't go, we are taking a passenger, who may not even play, what if we have a injury criis and we need strikers in the group stage, ut we can't field any due to a waste of a place taking up a squad number?!

I would swap Jones for Terry, Bent (if fit) for Rooney, Walker for Johnson and take chamberlain for Welbeck.

I would also think about a something from leftfield, a Joe Cole for Milner, I've always rated Cole, he has had a cracking year in France and Milner is way out of form for Man City and is not being selected so much.

Wouldn't take Welbeck or Rooney, I also wouldn't take Terry, a lot of players do not like the guy, captain or no captain, there is a lot of hate for him in football, can't imagine a lot of players would want to associate with him.

No Rooney, sorry, if you are not availble for being a stupid ****, then you don't go, we are taking a passenger, who may not even play, what if we have a injury criis and we need strikers in the group stage, ut we can't field any due to a waste of a place taking up a squad number?!

I would swap Jones for Terry, Bent (if fit) for Rooney, Walker for Johnson and take chamberlain for Welbeck.

I would also think about a something from leftfield, a Joe Cole for Milner, I've always rated Cole, he has had a cracking year in France and Milner is way out of form for Man City and is not being selected so much.

You wouldn't take England's best player or best striker?

Thank **** you aren't the manager.

I would also love to see Scholes there but don't think it will happen unfortunately

No, not if he is not available. You cannot take passengers imo

Now if he was unavailable for 1 game I would take him, that said, I still don't rate him, but he is etter than most strikers we have.

No, he is unavailable for too many games, you cannot take passengers, If you have played any team sports, surely you would know that.

If it was only 1 game I would take him, he is better than most available, but that ain't saying a lot

Carroll was class in th cup final and played well tonight by the sounds of it. Ok he will always miss some sitters but so does powderpuff crouch...

Carol will be more of a help than hindrance, Euro refs will constantly be blowing up for fouls whether they are or not. I can see why you would want to take him, but for the reason given, tis a no from me.

No, he is unavailable for too many games, you cannot take passengers, If you have played any team sports, surely you would know that.

If it was only 1 game I would take him, he is better than most available, but that ain't saying a lot

Yes your right. Why should someone else get us through the group matches and then Rooney walks in and takes the place of one of them? The blokes a ****

He's unavailable for 2 games.. if we get through the group and we don't have Rooney and we go out everyone will be asking why didn't we take him?

You take your best possible team to tournaments, he's a passenger for 2 games but he could end up being vital in our chances to have a good tournament. We aren't blessed with great strikers, he is our only top quality striker.

Carol will be more of a help than hindrance, Euro refs will constantly be blowing up for fouls whether they are or not. I can see why you would want to take him, but for the reason given, tis a no from me.

He has tortured Ivanovic and Terry the last two games, far better option than Crouch or Holt

He's unavailable for 2 games.. if we get through the group and we don't have Rooney and we go out everyone will be asking why didn't we take him?

You take your best possible team to tournaments, he's a passenger for 2 games but he could end up being vital in our chances to have a good tournament. We aren't blessed with great strikers, he is our only top quality striker.

we might not get through because of him being a numpty. But you are right, i forgot he got a game rescinded down to 2.

I do think he is a bit of a liability, he is such a arrogant loudmouth **** who is liable to get red carded or yellow carded at vital times. Although he may have learnt, judging by the yellow cards he has got this season. And as I have said many times, Rooney just does not show up in international tournament football, time and time again he turns up and doers nothing, if fact, I don't think he has scored for us tournament footie, but I could be wrong.

Funny thing I saw quoted, Capello would not pick Joey Barton because he could no trust him not to pick up yellow and red cards...... Now look at the red and yellow card history of Rooney vs Barton :)

He has tortured Ivanovic and Terry the last two games, far better option than Crouch or Holt

I

agree, but refs wouldn't let him do it at international footie, whistle would keep blowing

we might not get through because of him being a numpty. But you are right, i forgot he got a game rescinded down to 2.

I do think he is a bit of a liability, he is such a arrogant loudmouth **** who is liable to get red carded or yellow carded at vital times. Although he may have learnt, judging by the yellow cards he has got this season. And as I have said many times, Rooney just does not show up in international tournament football, time and time again he turns up and doers nothing, if fact, I don't think he has scored for us tournament footie, but I could be wrong.

Funny thing I saw quoted, Capello would not pick Joey Barton because he could no trust him not to pick up yellow and red cards...... Now look at the red and yellow card history of Rooney vs Barton :)

Rooney picked up his first booking of the season on Sunday and you say he hasn't really done it at International level, very little england players have, Crouch has looking at his record. I still think it would be madness to not take Wayne, he could really do something special (he is now approaching his prime aswell)

Who knows, but I for one would definitely take him.

Rooney picked up his first booking of the season on Sunday and you say he hasn't really done it at International level, very little england players have, Crouch has looking at his record. I still think it would be madness to not take Wayne, he could really do something special (he is now approaching his prime aswell)

Who knows, but I for one would definitely take him.

I agree, very few have done it at international level. But as our main striker, one of his primary roles is to score goals. history says he doesn't in tournaments.

Hey, if he goes, lets hope he can get that duck off his back. But I wouldn't take him.

• Admin

And as I have said many times, Rooney just does not show up in international tournament football, time and time again he turns up and doers nothing, if fact, I don't think he has scored for us tournament footie, but I could be wrong.

Talking World Cup Finals you are correct. 0 goals, 8 appearances.

Talking Euro Finals you are wrong. 4 goals, 4 appearances.

So take him this Summer & leave him out in 2 years time it is :)

• Admin

I agree, very few have done it at international level. But as our main striker, one of his primary roles is to score goals. history says he doesn't in tournaments.

Hey, if he goes, lets hope he can get that duck off his back. But I wouldn't take him.

See previous reply.

No, not if he is not available. You cannot take passengers imo

Now if he was unavailable for 1 game I would take him, that said, I still don't rate him, but he is etter than most strikers we have.

The same Rooney who has scored more goals in the league than every other English striker this season and is joint 9th in the England scoring records and has scored in international tournaments. Has won PFA young player of the year, player of the year, fans player of the year, 3x member of team of the year (including this year) FIFPro World young player of year, UEFA Euro Euro 2004 team player of the tournament, 2x England player of the year.

Perhaps it's the midfield that is the issue with England as after all, we keep saying we (City) could have ayone upfront but if we don't have creative midfielders they won't score.

Sorry that this sounds like a rant but it get's my goat up when people want us to leave one of probably only 3 world class players we have at home.

We have such a lack of world class players that you have to take Rooney for me. We have hardly any options upfront as well so it is a given he will be going and rightly so even if he can play just one game.

I wouldn't take Terry though. He was shocking tonight and has been for most of the season.

Keepers: Hart, Foster and Carson

Defenders: Walker, Richards, Cole, Baines, Lescott, Cahill, Ferdinand and Jagielka.

Midfielders: Lennon, Parker, Gerrard, Lampard, Young, Milner, Walcott and Johnson

Strikers: Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge and Crouch

Those who would miss out narrowly are Phil Jones (will be good in years to come) and Carick. I would probably take Bent if he was fit over any of the strikers except Rooney.

Sadly I think Barry will go as we don't have many options in CM.

Defenders: Walker, Richards, Cole, Baines, Lescott, Cahill, Ferdinand and Jagielka.

Midfielders: Lennon, Parker, Gerrard, Lampard, Young, Milner, Walcott and Johnson

Would probably swap Jones for Jagielka and I hate the fact we have to take Milner and Barry, although maybe Oxlaid-chamberlain for Milner? Other than that I don't think you'll be far off. Hasn't Foster retired/given up on International footie?

Would probably swap Jones for Jagielka and I hate the fact we have to take Milner and Barry, although maybe Oxlaid-chamberlain for Milner? Other than that I don't think you'll be far off. Hasn't Foster retired/given up on International footie?

Oxlade-Chamberlain is a fair shout and has an outside chance. As I said with Jones, he isn't far away but probably needs another season. Jagielka played really well against Spain and that is why I would give him a nod.

If Foster has then Carson or Green but neither will play.

We have such a lack of world class players that you have to take Rooney for me. We have hardly any options upfront as well so it is a given he will be going and rightly so even if he can play just one game.

I wouldn't take Terry though. He was shocking tonight and has been for most of the season.

Those who would miss out narrowly are Phil Jones (will be good in years to come) and Carick. I would probably take Bent if he was fit over any of the strikers except Rooney.

Sadly I think Barry will go as we don't have many options in CM.

Would like to see us go 3 4 3, playing like Bilbao. This will be the main tactical trend of the tournament. We have the players to do this. Wonder if Woy is considering it. No point even considering Terry and Ferdinand. Both past it and divisive figures.

Barry was class against Manure last week. Would be amazed if he doesn't go.

GK Hart, Foster, AN other

Defenders Walker, Richards/Jones, A Cole, Baines, Lescott, Caulker, Cahill, Smalling

Midfield Lampard, Barry, Parker, Young, Milner, Gerrard, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Carrick

Strikers Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Sturridge

Starting XI

Hart

Jones/Richards Cahill Lescott

Walker/Milner Barry Lampard/Gerrard A Cole

Oxlade-Chamberlain Carroll Young

Woy has got this tournament as a freebie. No expectation, so he might as well look longer term with personnel and tactics.

I would go for:

Hart, Foster, Ruddy

Walker, Richards, Ferdinand, Cahill, Smalling, Lescott, Cole, Baines

Walcott, Lennon, Gerrard, Parker, Lampard, Carrick, Young,

Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Sturridge, Bent

Although I wouldn't usually take Bent due to missing the end of the season through injury and have been critical of England managers in the past taking players that aren't match fit I feel at the moment it is necessary to take the gamble. He is really the only one of our out and out forwards (Rooney is much better playing in the hole in my opinion) that is a natural goal scorer. Due to Bent obviously being a gamble and Rooney missing the first two games we will have to take 5 strikers, although Welbeck and Sturridge can obviously operate on the wings of a 5 man midfield if required.

My starting team for the first game would be:

Hart

Walker Ferdinand Cahill Cole

Parker Carrick

Walcott Gerrard Young

Welbeck (Bent if he has featured in the friendlies and impressed in training)

When Rooney returns for the first game I would bring him in for Carrick with Gerrard pushing further back and Rooney operating behind the lone frontman.

Archived