IGNORED

England At Euro 2012

durhamred13

Joe Cole as wild card for me, having a great season in France, and does have the required technical ability than may of our midfielders.

I gorgot about joe cole I'd take him instead of henderson in my team

Having seen some of the suggestions people have made I've got to question whether some of these players should go. Lots of people suggesting take Foster as a keeper but didn't he retire from international football to focus on his club career? Ruddy is a good shout, but bear in mind these 2nd / 3rd keepers will only actually play if Hart gets injured which is unlikely.

I think Richards is by far the best right back, he's got the whole package. My only concern is I'm not sure what his fitness levels are like due to the fact he's not been playing week in week out for city. For me it's Richards > Johnson > Kyle - I run fast down the wing - Walker. Obviously the only viable left backs to take are Cole and Baines.

The centre back problem is a difficult one. Terry and Ferdinand are past it in my opinion. I'd personally go for Lescott and Cahill. Lescott has been incredible for City this season and Kompany has taken all the praise but he deserves a lot. A definite starter IMO. I think Jones should go, he's in experienced but incredible versatile whether it be centre half, right back or centre mid he's very good at all 3. And slightly irrelevant but he is an incredible finisher when he gets the chance.

Henderson has done nothing to merit going. The boy obviously has talent, he's just not very good at applying it at the moment. Had the Euro's been a year earlier and we'd been faced with this selection after his last season at Sunderland then yes, but not after this season. I highly doubt Roy can tempt Scholes out of retirement, would be great but I'm not pinning my hopes on it. As for the centre mids, it very much depends on what formation he's going to play. If its a 4-2-3-1, I'd take Barry, but in a 4-4-2 there is no chance I would. Parker is a definite starter no matter what the formation. Gerrard and Lampard both need to go as despite age both are fantastic players. Speaking of Gerrard I'd like to see him captain the team.

Wingers. Young definitely. Adam Johnson, definitely. He is an incredible player and really needs to move away from Man City as he'd be a first team starter anywhere else. Despite his form this season, and I know that this contradicts with why I wouldn't take Henderson but I think Downing needs to go for depth, not very many left sided players at our disposal. Do we take The Ox? His age could be a problem but he is a very mature young lad and very intelligent on the ball. He's a better option than Walcott I think and could be a real wildcard for us, he's got something different from everyone else in our team.

Finally forwards. Despite his suspension Rooney has to go despite what some people are saying. Along with him I'd take Crouch, Welbeck and Carroll. I think Sturridge will develop into a very good player but he's not it at the moment. He's not a winger, and he's not had enough game time as a striker to merit going. He gets very frustrated when things don't go his way and could be a liability on the pitch. Welbeck works very hard unlike Sturridge and has had game time upfront. Crouch has a very good England record and I cannot believe he didn't get more time at the World Cup. I know you can't take a player on 2 games' form, but Carroll has showed he can be a great player. He's got a great physical presence in the box and is surprisingly technical when he wants to be.

Having seen some of the suggestions people have made I've got to question whether some of these players should go. Lots of people suggesting take Foster as a keeper but didn't he retire from international football to focus on his club career? Ruddy is a good shout, but bear in mind these 2nd / 3rd keepers will only actually play if Hart gets injured which is unlikely.

I think Richards is by far the best right back, he's got the whole package. My only concern is I'm not sure what his fitness levels are like due to the fact he's not been playing week in week out for city. For me it's Richards > Johnson > Kyle - I run fast down the wing - Walker. Obviously the only viable left backs to take are Cole and Baines.

The centre back problem is a difficult one. Terry and Ferdinand are past it in my opinion. I'd personally go for Lescott and Cahill. Lescott has been incredible for City this season and Kompany has taken all the praise but he deserves a lot. A definite starter IMO. I think Jones should go, he's in experienced but incredible versatile whether it be centre half, right back or centre mid he's very good at all 3. And slightly irrelevant but he is an incredible finisher when he gets the chance.

Henderson has done nothing to merit going. The boy obviously has talent, he's just not very good at applying it at the moment. Had the Euro's been a year earlier and we'd been faced with this selection after his last season at Sunderland then yes, but not after this season. I highly doubt Roy can tempt Scholes out of retirement, would be great but I'm not pinning my hopes on it. As for the centre mids, it very much depends on what formation he's going to play. If its a 4-2-3-1, I'd take Barry, but in a 4-4-2 there is no chance I would. Parker is a definite starter no matter what the formation. Gerrard and Lampard both need to go as despite age both are fantastic players. Speaking of Gerrard I'd like to see him captain the team.

Wingers. Young definitely. Adam Johnson, definitely. He is an incredible player and really needs to move away from Man City as he'd be a first team starter anywhere else. Despite his form this season, and I know that this contradicts with why I wouldn't take Henderson but I think Downing needs to go for depth, not very many left sided players at our disposal. Do we take The Ox? His age could be a problem but he is a very mature young lad and very intelligent on the ball. He's a better option than Walcott I think and could be a real wildcard for us, he's got something different from everyone else in our team.

Finally forwards. Despite his suspension Rooney has to go despite what some people are saying. Along with him I'd take Crouch, Welbeck and Carroll. I think Sturridge will develop into a very good player but he's not it at the moment. He's not a winger, and he's not had enough game time as a striker to merit going. He gets very frustrated when things don't go his way and could be a liability on the pitch. Welbeck works very hard unlike Sturridge and has had game time upfront. Crouch has a very good England record and I cannot believe he didn't get more time at the World Cup. I know you can't take a player on 2 games' form, but Carroll has showed he can be a great player. He's got a great physical presence in the box and is surprisingly technical when he wants to be.

Agree with that - very well thought out post. Only thing I'm not sure on is Glen Johnson, never been totally convinced by him but don't think there's that much seperating him and Walker. Would probably prefer Walker and he has had a very good season this year. Would love to see Scholes go, think he could be essential if we are to have a credible chance of achieving anything respectable. His experience and ability on the ball would be a real asset.

Agree with that - very well thought out post. Only thing I'm not sure on is Glen Johnson, never been totally convinced by him but don't think there's that much seperating him and Walker. Would probably prefer Walker and he has had a very good season this year. Would love to see Scholes go, think he could be essential if we are to have a credible chance of achieving anything respectable. His experience and ability on the ball would be a real asset.

Walker can defend and is quick, Johnson can't defend and is quick

GK - Hart, Foster, Ruddy

DF - walker, Johnson, Terry, Ferdinand, Cahill, Smalling, Baines, Cole

MF - Oxlade-Chamberlain, Parker, Gerrard, Lampard, Young, Milner, Sturridge

FW - Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Bent

Hart

Walker Terry Cahill Cole

Parker Gerrard

Oxlade-Chamberlain Sturridge Young

Welbeck (swap Sturridge for Rooney)

He also scored a pathetic 6 league goals this season, has a dodgy first touch, no left foot and as you say will commit masses of fouls against centre backs.

Having said that apart from the suspended Rooney we have a selection of big club back ups to choose from (Defoe, Wellbeck, Sturridge), or players who have doubtful international pedigree, Crouch, (prolific against the likes of Trinidad and Tobago) and Bent, who is a phenomenal Prem scorer but doesn't have what it takes against a top side and is injured anyway.

Not sure it matters, to be honest.

Pedantic I know, but Carroll is left footed.

Did you see the FA cup final? The guy absolutely destroyed Chelsea (3/4ths of the England back four)...

I did, and many other games this season.

He ain't bad, he ain't 35 millions worth, and he surely isn't a international.

And of course, it is easy for a sub to look good, far more energy to use. Then play them again a few days later having basically had a warm up, where Chelsea back line had played the full 90.

Looking good against terry isn't hard nowadays.

He is a average premier league striker, nothing more nothing less. Not quite sure why people get excited about the bloke after a few good games, by in large he has been poor, his finishing is pretty woeful as well apart from a 8 match purple patch for Newcastle.

Poor man's Duncan Ferguson

I'm not sure it really matters. Our record (euro 96 aside) in this tournament is terrible. My hope is that with Hodgson at the helm, he'll look to pick the best eleven that can play together. If some of the champagne charlies have to make way then so be it.

If we can't win it, lets at least try and look like a competent team this time.

I did, and many other games this season.

He ain't bad, he ain't 35 millions worth, and he surely isn't a international.

And of course, it is easy for a sub to look good, far more energy to use. Then play them again a few days later having basically had a warm up, where Chelsea back line had played the full 90.

Looking good against terry isn't hard nowadays.

He is a average premier league striker, nothing more nothing less. Not quite sure why people get excited about the bloke after a few good games, by in large he has been poor, his finishing is pretty woeful as well apart from a 8 match purple patch for Newcastle.

Poor man's Duncan Ferguson

we only have 1 international striker and thats rooney,

none of the others are great and the only one with a proven england record is crouch,

I don't get why people rate welbeck I think he's aweful and that frazer-campball is a better prospect Bent is injured defoe has hardly kicked a ball this season,

The best two english strikers next to Rooney are Holt at Norwich and Graham at Swansea but they won't get picked because they don't play for a big club

Van Persie Arsenal 30 Rooney Man Utd 26 Aguero Man City 22 Dempsey Fulham 17 Adebayor Tottenham 16 Ba Newcastle 16 Yakubu Blackburn 16 Holt Norwich 14 Balotelli Man City 13 Cisse Newcastle 13 Dzeko Man City 13 Fletcher Wolverhampton 11 Graham Swansea 11 Lampard Chelsea 11 Sturridge Chelsea 11 Suarez Liverpool 11 Van der Vaart Tottenham 11

tbl_spc.gif

top scorers this season

I'm not sure it really matters. Our record (euro 96 aside) in this tournament is terrible. My hope is that with Hodgson at the helm, he'll look to pick the best eleven that can play together. If some of the champagne charlies have to make way then so be it.

If we can't win it, lets at least try and look like a competent team this time.

Personally I think that Euro 96 is viewed with very rose tinted specs by many: laboured to a draw v the Swiss, beat Scotland, beat (and convincingly so, I will say) a talented but seemingly awfully-in-disarray Dutch team, were lucky to get past Spain courtesy of a disallowed goal and a rare penalty win, and then the expected plucky capitulation to the Germans on penalties. It had its moments, for sure, but I think luck, rather than ability, carried us some of the way.

Personally I think that Euro 96 is viewed with very rose tinted specs by many: laboured to a draw v the Swiss, beat Scotland, beat (and convincingly so, I will say) a talented but seemingly awfully-in-disarray Dutch team, were lucky to get past Spain courtesy of a disallowed goal and a rare penalty win, and then the expected plucky capitulation to the Germans on penalties. It had its moments, for sure, but I think luck, rather than ability, carried us some of the way.

We were pants apart from the Netherlands game. People look back and think el tel was great, far from it one good performance a couple of average but mostly poor. He didn't even have to qualify!

Another myth imo that tel was our last good manager.

• Admin

If Scholes wasn't ginger we'd have won the world cup by now.

Heat/sun stroke kills the poor guy...

...and suffers from asthma. But even if that weren't the case, that still doesn't make up for the other 10 players being sub-standard.

Oh we forgot to add, he also had the massive massive advantage of being on home soil. To get knocked out when we did, is pretty poor for a home side.

We got to the semi final. I think only once in the last 6 European championships has the host reached the final, on 2 of those occasions there were 2 hosts. I wouldn't bet on this time either. Football coming home in this tournament appears to be of little use!

We got to the semi final. I think only once in the last 6 European championships has the host reached the final, on 2 of those occasions there were 2 hosts! I wouldn't bet on this time either.

Assuming Wikipedia is correct (a big if, I know), only once in the history of the finals (2008) has a host nation, or one of the 2 hosts, failed to reach the semi finals, or 3rd/4th play-off, at least. Thus, even with a huge amount of luck we only achieved what would be pretty much the minimum expected level.

So Andy Carrol scores less goals than Torres, Not to mention Sturridge and yet most on here want Carroll to go because he played well for about 60 minutes against Chelsea....who are 6th..over two games...And still won the fa cup and then rested a load of players at Anfield?!!?!!

NO WAY should Andy Carroll be taken to the f'in euros over the likes of Sturridge and welbeck!

Absolute madness boys!

Assuming Wikipedia is correct (a big if, I know), only once in the history of the finals (2008) has a host nation, or one of the 2 hosts, failed to reach the semi finals, or 3rd/4th play-off, at least. Thus, even with a huge amount of luck we only achieved what would be pretty much the minimum expected level.

Not sure it's the minimum, depends how you look at it. France and Portugal are the only hosts since the 60s to go beyond the semi final. A host reaching the semi final looks like a "most likely" outcome rather than a minimum.

Having had to sit through our other efforts in this tournament, euro 96 was relatively speaking, bliss.

So Andy Carrol scores less goals than Torres, Not to mention Sturridge and yet most on here want Carroll to go because he played well for about 60 minutes against Chelsea....who are 6th..over two games...And still won the fa cup and then rested a load of players at Anfield?!!?!!

NO WAY should Andy Carroll be taken to the f'in euros over the likes of Sturridge and welbeck!

Absolute madness boys!

Welbeck has only scored 9 this season holt 14 and Graham 11 so by your logic Welbeck shouldn't be taken to the f**kin euros ether

Archived