GK: HART, Foster, Ruddy

RB: RICHARDS, Walker

CB: FERDINAND, CAHILL, Smalling, Jones

LB: COLE, Baines

CM: CARRICK, PARKER, Gerrard, (Scholes if tempted out of retirement)/ Barry

W: OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN, YOUNG, Walcott, Johnson

ST: ROONEY, WELBECK, Sturridge, Carroll, Bent

I should be England manager

whoever England take, the squad will still be well short of what is needed to win it....however i agree with OP, put walker in with Terry, cahill and cole then at least we will have a solid back line and be difficult to break down, which will always give England a chance to steal a sneaky win

Would like to see us go 3 4 3, playing like Bilbao. This will be the main tactical trend of the tournament. We have the players to do this. Wonder if Woy is considering it. No point even considering Terry and Ferdinand. Both past it and divisive figures.

Barry was class against Manure last week. Would be amazed if he doesn't go.

GK Hart, Foster, AN other

Defenders Walker, Richards/Jones, A Cole, Baines, Lescott, Caulker, Cahill, Smalling

Midfield Lampard, Barry, Parker, Young, Milner, Gerrard, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Carrick

Strikers Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck, Sturridge

Starting XI

Hart

Jones/Richards Cahill Lescott

Walker/Milner Barry Lampard/Gerrard A Cole

Oxlade-Chamberlain Carroll Young

Woy has got this tournament as a freebie. No expectation, so he might as well look longer term with personnel and tactics.

We won't play a 3-4-3, for all the furore over Bilbao taking apart a decidedly disinterested Manchester Utd team, they are a mid table La Liga side with a few exceptional players who actually play 4-1-2-3 as the 'centre back' plays as a sweeper and the wide players in the midfield are just attacking full backs. Who else has succeeded in recent years with a similar formation? Barcelona tried it this year and lost their La Liga and Champions League titles. far from being progressive it harks back to the days of wing halves and outside halves. None of the players in our squad will play in a back 3 for their club and so why would it make sense to try it now? I agree with others sentiments regarding building towards 2014 but we don't new to do anything radical, just bring some young players in. Not suggesting this will be the team for the opening game but how for. Mix of youth and experience, how about;

Hart

Richards. Cahill. Jones. Cole

Parker. Rodwell

Young. Sturridge. Walcott

Welbeck

Perhaps bring Gerrard in somewhere to had some experience in midfield

We won't play a 3-4-3, for all the furore over Bilbao taking apart a decidedly disinterested Manchester Utd team, they are a mid table La Liga side with a few exceptional players who actually play 4-1-2-3 as the 'centre back' plays as a sweeper and the wide players in the midfield are just attacking full backs. Who else has succeeded in recent years with a similar formation? Barcelona tried it this year and lost their La Liga and Champions League titles. far from being progressive it harks back to the days of wing halves and outside halves. None of the players in our squad will play in a back 3 for their club and so why would it make sense to try it now? I agree with others sentiments regarding building towards 2014 but we don't new to do anything radical, just bring some young players in. Not suggesting this will be the team for the opening game but how for. Mix of youth and experience, how about;

Hart

Richards. Cahill. Jones. Cole

Parker. Rodwell

Young. Sturridge. Walcott

Welbeck

Perhaps bring Gerrard in somewhere to had some experience in midfield

That team would be crushed, understand where you are coming from but hardly any big tournament experience in that team bar Cole, and far too lightweight up front, Welbeck, Sturridge and Young are vastly over-rated. If England are to do anything then the spine has to be there and that means Terry, Gerrard/Lampard, Rooney (once available) all have to start. I would take Crouch and play him first two games, he has the experience and know how to help us get to the 3rd game with a chance of qualifying when Rooney becomes available

----------------------Hart-------------------

Walker-------Terry-----Cahill-------Cole

-----------Parker------Scholes----------

Ox-Cham------Gerrard--------Young

-----------------Carroll------------------

Rooney to come in when available unless Carroll is scoring loads, I think ox-chamberlain could be a surprise package as Rooney was in 2004. Bit worried about centre backs, I think Ferdinand has lost it completely and Terry isn't far behind. Would be tempted by Lescott instead but experience counts for a lot in these tournaments. Our only sure positions are the goalkeeper and left back...

GK Hart, Ruddy, Green

Defenders Walker, Richards, Jones, A Cole, Baines, Lescott, Jag, Cahill, Shawccross

Midfield Parker, Young, Milner, Gerrard, Walcott, Johnson, Henderson

Strikers Rooney, Carroll, Crouch, Holt/Graham

Thats what i would take,

GK: Hart, Foster, Ruddy

DF: Richards, Walker, Jones, Terry, Cahill, Lescott, Cole, Baines

MF: Walcott, Gerrard, Parker ©, Barry, Lampard,Young, Milner

FW: Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Carroll, Bent/Defoe

Can't believe people would take Walcott!! The guy is gash.

GOALKEEPERS: Hart, Foster, Robinson

DEFENDERS: Walker, Richards. Terry, Cahill, Ferdinand, Lescott. Cole, Baines.

MIDFIELDERS: Sturridge, Lennon. Gerrard, Lampard. Parker, Carrick. Young, Johnson.

FORWARDS: Rooney, Welbeck, Carroll, Defoe.

But before I put that squad in, I'd sit Terry and Ferdinand down and say, can you two be trusted in the same camp, or are you gonna cause a divide like you did in 2010 . . . If you both are coming, I need proof blah blah blah.

Id like to see us take a chance and stick a few of the younger, less capped players in. Its a great opportunity to get them some experience to build on for 2014, expectation on England to do anything at this tournament is as low as i can remember. Even if they did not do well, it can only help make them better players going forward.

The likes of Terry, Ferdinand, Lampard and Gerrard should be nowhere near the squad come the next World Cup and have already had plenty of chances at this level to achieve something. I wouldn't be that bothered if most of them didn't even make this squad.

what??? really? not from what i have seen

did you watch the liverpool game last night?

Terry was at fault for 3 of the 4 goals, 70% of the england squad dislike him he's got no pace anymore and questionable postioning,

His attudie stinks (see the barca game)

Rio is too injury prone now

Can't believe people would take Walcott!! The guy is gash.

GOALKEEPERS: Hart, Foster, Robinson

DEFENDERS: Walker, Richards. Terry, Cahill, Ferdinand, Lescott. Cole, Baines.

MIDFIELDERS: Sturridge, Lennon. Gerrard, Lampard. Parker, Carrick. Young, Johnson.

FORWARDS: Rooney, Welbeck, Carroll, Defoe.

But before I put that squad in, I'd sit Terry and Ferdinand down and say, can you two be trusted in the same camp, or are you gonna cause a divide like you did in 2010 . . . If you both are coming, I need proof blah blah blah.

You. Will need to sit terry down with.. walker, lescott, Richards, Ferdinand, Lennon, young, welbeck and Defoe.

Then add in plenty of others who dislike the bloke.

If he has done something bad enough in the fa's eyes to strip him of the captaincy, surely he should be stripped of his place entirely, especially if this is a standards to be showing youngsters issue!

----------------------Hart-------------------

Walker-------Terry-----Cahill-------Cole

-----------Parker------Scholes----------

Ox-Cham------Gerrard--------Young

-----------------Carroll------------------

Rooney to come in when available unless Carroll is scoring loads, I think ox-chamberlain could be a surprise package as Rooney was in 2004. Bit worried about centre backs, I think Ferdinand has lost it completely and Terry isn't far behind. Would be tempted by Lescott instead but experience counts for a lot in these tournaments. Our only sure positions are the goalkeeper and left back...

totally agree with that team - I think that defense is very solid especially as 3 of them play for the same team.

did you watch the liverpool game last night?

Terry was at fault for 3 of the 4 goals, 70% of the england squad dislike him he's got no pace anymore and questionable postioning,

His attudie stinks (see the barca game)

Rio is too injury prone now

Terry used to be a good prem defender, never a international. He isn't even that anymore. He got ripped a new one by a carthorse. Once terry is beaten for strength and Ariel ability, there ain't much left. Agree with monkeh.

Carroll has to go. Great option off the bench

In principle I would agree, however ...

Unfortunately, he will give away endless free kicks as his physical prescence will not be tolerated by powder-puff foreign players and referees.

GK Hart, Ruddy, Green

Defenders Walker, Richards, Jones, A Cole, Baines, Lescott, Jag, Cahill, Shawccross

Midfield Parker, Young, Milner, Gerrard, Walcott, Johnson, Henderson

Strikers Rooney, Carroll, Crouch, Holt/Graham

Thats what i would take,

I like your team, Monkeh. I'd take Carson and Foster over Green and Ruddy, but Ruddy probably deserves a spot as much as either of those to be fair.

I'd not take Shawcross, never been a fan, and I'd bring in an extra striker or midfielder.

That team would be crushed, understand where you are coming from but hardly any big tournament experience in that team bar Cole, and far too lightweight up front, Welbeck, Sturridge and Young are vastly over-rated. If England are to do anything then the spine has to be there and that means Terry, Gerrard/Lampard, Rooney (once available) all have to start. I would take Crouch and play him first two games, he has the experience and know how to help us get to the 3rd game with a chance of qualifying when Rooney becomes available

As I said, not the team that will start the first game but one that looks towards the next tournament. I also disagree about my front line being overrated; they have pace in abundance which would allow us to play counter attacking football which is the only way we'll get anywhere. However, talking of overrated I just can't believe how many people would still pick Terry and Lampard. Terry was embarrassed last night, was embarrassing getting sent off against Barca and can't play anyone with a reasonable turn of pace. His own pace is poor and while his positioning is good, his lack of anticipation of what a forward is going to do means he ends up getting caught out anyway. And as for Fat Frank, the greatest trick he ever pulled was convincing anyone he is an international class midfielder. He can run into the box and finish. That is it. He's an average passer, he takes up poor positions in the middle of the park and he has no vision. He's like a paupers Paul Scholes even now and I wouldn't take Scholes. Fair enough, put Gerrard in behind Welbeck and leave Sturridge on the bench but we need to be looking beyond a tournament we're unlikely to win, like Germany did at the previous World Cup

Terry used to be a good prem defender, never a international. He isn't even that anymore. He got ripped a new one by a carthorse. Once terry is beaten for strength and Ariel ability, there ain't much left. Agree with monkeh.

Carroll is exceptionally good in the air and is very strong - there aren't many Targetmen with as much of a physical presence. In the leading European nation sides I can't think of many with as good targetman attributes as Carroll so it would be rare for Terry to get completely overpowered as he did. I think the bigger problem with taking him, which you mentioned, is whether he will divide the camp. His antics in South Africa and his latest misdemeanors this season make it a huge risk with regard to that.

Agree that neither Terry or Ferdinand are good enough any more but not that Smalling is anywhere near international class. He makes Rio look like he has a phd...

Lescott is the best of a very average bunch of centre halves..

In principle I would agree, however ...

Unfortunately, he will give away endless free kicks as his physical prescence will not be tolerated by powder-puff foreign players and referees.

He also scored a pathetic 6 league goals this season, has a dodgy first touch, no left foot and as you say will commit masses of fouls against centre backs.

Having said that apart from the suspended Rooney we have a selection of big club back ups to choose from (Defoe, Wellbeck, Sturridge), or players who have doubtful international pedigree, Crouch, (prolific against the likes of Trinidad and Tobago) and Bent, who is a phenomenal Prem scorer but doesn't have what it takes against a top side and is injured anyway.

Not sure it matters, to be honest.

I find it increasingly hard to get excited by the prospect of watching England, or particularly caring as to how they do. A few things that I would say though:

1) Henderson should be nowhere near the team

2) Oxlade-Chamberlain should go in place of Walcott

3) Terry should be placed under house arrest and thus forbidden to ever step foot on a football pitch again

4) The forward line should be Rooney and 3 other names drawn out of a tombola, all others are equally dismal

5) If Carrick can't get in the squad ahead of Barry, Milner, Parker, Lampard and Gerrard, I am surprised SAF has not passed his contact details to the Samaritans.

Ultimately, I would now trade England ever making a finals before I die if it enabled City to win a trophy of note.

Agree that neither Terry or Ferdinand are good enough any more but not that Smalling is anywhere near international class. He makes Rio look like he has a phd...

Lescott is the best of a very average bunch of centre halves..

Agree, ferdinand, as much as I like him, well his day is over.

cahill I think coluld be our one hope. Jones, well i would take him, no where near the finished article, but I like what I see, he has something about him, I hope he progreses

I find it increasingly hard to get excited by the prospect of watching England, or particularly caring as to how they do. A few things that I would say though:

3) Terry should be placed under house arrest and thus forbidden to ever step foot on a football pitch again

4) The forward line should be Rooney and 3 other names drawn out of a tombola, all others are equally dismal

5) If Carrick can't get in the squad ahead of Barry, Milner, Parker, Lampard and Gerrard, I am surprised SAF has not passed his contact details to the Samaritans.

Ultimately, I would now trade England ever making a finals before I die if it enabled City to win a trophy of note.

Joe Cole as wild card for me, having a great season in France, and does have the required technical ability than may of our midfielders.

Walcott is Arsenal's second top goal scorer and top of the assits I think chambilin struggles to get off the bench

Archived