IGNORED

New Leader Of The City Council - Simon Cook

Kingswood Robin

Whats his position on Ashton Vale?

Craven is right. Cook is my local councillor and has been very vocal on the issue, expressing his pro-stadium views on local TV news on at least one occasion. His name is also among those of several serving councillors who are believed to be considering running for Mayor. If he does stand and makes Ashton Vale a prominent part of his campaign, expect to see a 'vote for Cook' thread on Otib come the autumn. And for what it's worth, whilst I've no idea how good he'd be in a demanding, high profile role like Mayor, my limited experience of him suggests he's a sensible, practical and balanced sort of bloke. We could do worse...

So after years of council mismanagement, people are suggesting that one of its key members would be a good election candidate?

It's the system that's hopelessly dysfunctional. Doesn't mean that every single councillor struggling to work within that system is incompetent. That would be like saying a talented footballer is no good because he happens to have the misfortune of playing in a useless team.

It's the system that's hopelessly dysfunctional. Doesn't mean that every single councillor struggling to work within that system is incompetent. That would be like saying a talented footballer is no good because he happens to have the misfortune of playing in a useless team.

Absolutely.

I had the opportunity to speak to Councillor Mark Bradshaw at the Sainsbury's debate at the Council House, where he spoke in favour as an individual rather than as a councillor and he was also sensible and reasonable (and had declared in advance he was a City ST holder!).

Cook may have made himself look silly by prematurely tweeting that the Ashton Vale saga was over (not a wise move against these fanatics) but he has (understandably cautiously) been pro stadium throughout.

Archived