IGNORED

Work With What We've Got

Port Said Red

There has been a lot of talk on here lately (even after Sat) about adding to the squad, but is it necsssary or sensible?

Like everybody I like to see things freshened up and quality players being added, but lets analyze it a bit.

First loan signings, unless they are coming for the season or are prospective signings do they really help? DW said in Gatepost that when they have gone they leave a hole again, look at Robins last year we missed him when he had to leave. Do we really want to be the ditching ground for some other clubs promising youngsters or has-been getting match practice?

Permanent signings, (No such thing as a Free) whether you pay the club or the player they cost money, money we apparently don't have. They also often take time to settle, we've already seen that this season with the Luke & Lee.

Could we afford to bring someone in and hope that they would have an immediate impact? Surely the board would be better continuing with their battle with the debt?

IMHO, we should work with this squad for the rest of the season, maybe bring in the youngsters if there is a desperate injury crisis or if they show something really special. Leave the wheeling and dealing for the close season if possible.

We have the quality in many positions and quantity that many of our rivals must envy, we can get promoted with this squad.

PS. The only exception might be at goalkeeper where we could do with some cover if it became available. :rolleyes:

Its been said many times that this currant squad is the strongest that City have had for years.Strength in depth in almost all positions,exept goalkeeper.

That said I reckon City are short of an out and out goal poacher in the mould of Goater or Thorpe.Players that do little else except nick goals.

Peacock,Roberts,Miller are not in that mould.Lita ...maybe, but as yet we haven't seen enough of him to judge.Mathews could fit the bill, "fit" being the key word.

If Wilson was to get in a loan player then its up front that he'd go for.

PS. The only exception might be at goalkeeper where we could do with some cover if it became available.

I wonder if we ever did cast our eyes in the direction of James Bittner (Chippenham Town last season, now Exeter City and already England semi-pro XI), he was a free agent this summer but I suppose we went for David Coupe before he decided to go travelling.

Archived