IGNORED

Scouting

GrahamC

Amongst the threads on here recently a trend has emerged about the poor quality of City's scouting.

Last summer Keith Millen appointed Russ Richardson as head of recruitment, but absolutely nothing has been heard from him (or of him) since, leading to the question as to whether he is even with City any more.

When Jim McIntyre started coaching at City Derek McInnes said he'd previously been scouting for us on a temporary basis.

I wonder if the next part of the re-building of the club might involve a restructuring of the scouting set up and maybe also the academy structure?

If we have a scouting network then they haven't been doing their jobs properly.

Whoever missed Vaz Te, should be shot IMO (by all accounts RR covers the north of the country), and Barnsley picked him up on a free.

BCAGFC

at the time Vaz Ti was on a free we had Stead Maynard Pitman and Taylor which we thought was a great strike force with many questioning why we even signed taylor when other areas needed strenghtening,

So we can be forgiven on "missing out" on him

at the time Vaz Ti was on a free we had Stead Maynard Pitman and Taylor which we thought was a great strike force with many questioning why we even signed taylor when other areas needed strenghtening,

So we can be forgiven on "missing out" on him

Our scouting system is shambolic, embarrassing & a disgrace to our football club.

They should be named and shamed IMO.

BCAGFC

Whoever scouted Adomah and Bolasie have done a decent enough job I'd say.

It costs a lot of money to have extensive worldwide scouting, and we're constantly running at a loss. Maybe we could improve our domestic scouting, but it's not realistic at present to have scouts all over the world.

Whoever scouted Adomah and Bolasie have done a decent enough job I'd say.

It costs a lot of money to have extensive worldwide scouting, and we're constantly running at a loss. Maybe we could improve our domestic scouting, but it's not realistic at present to have scouts all over the world.

Coppell made us aware of Adomah and Millen was a fan of Bolasie at Plymouth.

I'd like us to get a proper chief scout who goes around europe and the lower leagues of the UK.

Coppell made us aware of Adomah and Millen was a fan of Bolasie at Plymouth.

I'd like us to get a proper chief scout who goes around europe and the lower leagues of the UK.

Gary Johnson was the man who made us aware of Albert.

We need a new Chief Scout who has good knowledge of the whole country and then get part time scouts to check up on his targets.

Delboy could then tell him what he is looking for and then hopefully the CS will have a few in mind or he can send his part-timers out to find them.

It's not rocket science, all you need is the time to do a bit of in depth research.

BCAGFC

Yes, in fairness to them my understanding is that Gary and Pete Johnson set up the signing I'd Albert, Gary was gone but the signing was already agreed. Nothing to do with Copout though he can take all the credit for Nicky Hunt.

That was just a rumour. Albert was pretty clear it was Coppell in more than one interview.

On the rest, a "scouting network" requires money. You have to pay not just wages but also lots of travel expenses. From what we've been told by managers past and present much of our scouting is done by independents rather than permanent employees.

We should of course be looking to improve all areas of the club but nobody posting on this thread has any idea who is actually scouting for us or where, whether we went for certain players or not, what our reasons were etc.

It's an awful lot of guesswork for the level of vehemence there is here IMO.

I do think one area we might do better in is in bringing players from a wider area into the academy set up at 16.

Why waste time and money sending scouts all over the place

When you can give them a laptop and find GREAT players on Football manager

I know this is tongue in cheek but I don't think it's an horrific idea. That game gives you a vast database of opinions from football fans who are quite knowledgeable about their club's players. It wouldn't be a waste of time looking at it to help identify who might be worth watching on an idle day.

Why waste time and money sending scouts all over the place

When you can give them a laptop and find GREAT players on Football manager

Not such a daft idea after all.

Peter Reid once said he used the European Football Yearbook when looking for a cheaper, prolific striker from abroad.

There are many ways of researching players, football papers, magazines, non league papers, local media (not all papers are like the EP), online scout reports, books etc, etc.

You only have to find 1 gem to make it all worthwhile.

BCAGFC

I get the feeling if we do have a new scouting team, they are all based in the footballing wilderness that is Scotland.

Scotland is far from a footballing wilderness.Plenty off SPL players go down and tear up the championship.

MARSHALL

McNAUGHTON

CRAINEY

MC MANUS

BAMBA

THOMPSON

ROBSON

BURKE

SNODGRASS

DOBBIE

PEARSON

CONWAY