IGNORED

Hardest Eleven

sglosbcfc

In my time 1982 onwards, the toughest tackling, hardest men to pull on the red shirt -

goal Sieb Dykstra

Def Mark Aizlewood, Glenn Humphries, Andy Llewellyn, Steve McManus

Mid Steve Galliers, Dave Martin, Rob Newman

Att Joe Jordan, Robbie Turner, Dele Adebola

I was too young to remember Mick Harford playing for City but ex Wimbledon players always say Harford was the hardest man in football during his playing career.

Llewellyn was a personal favourite of mine, he used to set off for a sliding tackle twenty yards from the action, sometimes he even ended up quite close to the ball!

Only problem with this team is with the rules as they are now we would be down to eight men by half time.

Was just gonna say that.

I'd have Shaun Taylor and Tommy Doc in there too.

Shaun Taylor surely has to be in there. He was hard as nails but fair and a great pro. I miss Doherty in his prime crashing around in the centre of the park for us. He was tough as they come.

I really rated Tommy Doherty as a player, but I am not sure he was a real hard man. I think Galliers and Martin are nail ons. I accept that Taylor should be in the team ahead of McManus, oversight on my part. Dele is in because he was big, powerful and bossed defenders about. I think that sort of fits in the hard man criteria. I'm a centre back and I'm not sure I'd be too happy about getting up on a Sunday morning to face Adebola, Turner and Jordan even now.

A Leaning

G Humphries

N Hunter

S Taylor

M Scott

G Gow

B Hutchinson

S Galliers

D Martin

J Jordan

M Harford

Sub , Steve Johnson , Lavin , AIzlewood , Turner , Docherty

That is spot on Glyn !

Jeez, there would not be a team in the world that would want to face that lot !

Gerry Gow is the hardest footballer I've ever seen. He and Ray Kennedy of Liverpool use to kick the shite out of each other and then walk off after the game with their arms round each others shoulders.

Gow could dish it out but also take it, not like some of todays pansies.

Hunter was another hard case and could take it as well but he and Gow would never surive in todays game. They'd be perminately suspended.

Sean Taylor was also very hard. I remember once at Hillsborough a Wednesday player clattering him near the half way line. We could feel the collision in the away end and the ref showed an immediate red card. Taylor hit the deck like felled tree but amazingly bounced straight back up. I've never seen anything like it before or since. He carried on as if nothing had happened.

Just remembered Steve Brooker. He was another hard case. I met Danny Coles at a do once and he told me Brooker was the hardest center foward he'd played against. Problem with Brooker was the fact he was out injured too often.

Wasn't it Dave Martin that bust Robbie Rowlers leg.

He was a real nasty niggley bugger, went in high in challenges, when the opponent went down, invariably he would get up and stand or stamp on them, he must of nailed people with elbows 5 or 6 times a match, sneaky punches to the kidneys, knees into the back stomach, elbows and knees flailing in Aeriele challenges.

I would never called him hard, just a real nasty barsteward. Every team need one, but he made Derry look an angel. I am sure Pardew, Curbishley Gritt or someone like that mention him in one of their books as the worst most cynical opponent they have ever played against.

I had forgotten about Steve 'Rambo' Johnson, I would certainly add him to my squad. I can't have Gow because I said 82 onwards when I started watching matches. Akinbiyi and Hutchinson are also guys who I have overlooked and would need adding to my squad. I don't agree with many of the others mentioned.

Millwall away, bring it on, and if things got nasty off the pitch with this squad of City players you could just let them loose in the Den home end.

Too young to have seen him but just be reputation, Norman bite your legs hunter would be in there

Hunter was rock.

I remember he took a free kick, well the ball was rolled to him, he had already started his run from the half way line, as he connected, you could see the fear in the Dirty Leeds players faces in the wall as not only the ball went sailing past in to the net but his left boot went with it

Archived