IGNORED

"my Old Man, Said Be A......."

BS4 on Tour...

Well actually he didn't, let me explain....

My Dad and his Dad (both now sadly departed) were both pretty avid R*vers fans.

My Grandad drove their supporters coaches (or tandem as I used to joke!) and my Dad even played for the Blue Few for a while.

But, neither of them forced me to their way of thinking though and I'm eternally grateful that I was able to make my own choice and walked down the Red path. And fair play to my Dad, having made my choice he happily took me to Ashton Gate for my first game. Will never forget it, a 0-2 home defeat to Forest in the 70s. We sat in block B of the Dolman and he chuckled to himself throughout as we were pretty comprehensively beaten. But I was hooked!

It did cause loads of tension on a Saturday though and I don't miss my Dad saying "oh, it's five past 3, City will be two down...." every week!

I was just wondering if anyone else comes from a family containing fans of both sides?

My dad is city and uncle is gas. I've never been able to get my head round the fact that some kids support their old mans arch enemy, if I had gone home and said I was gas I would have been booted out the house!!

Rightly or wrongly if my daughter ever came home and wanted to go and watch rovers with her mates she would not be allowed.

My father (now deceased) was a Cardiff City supporter, and had been all his life. I grew up watching City, Rovers, Cardiff City and Bristol Rugby, but my heart was always with City, I suspect simply because the first football match I ever saw was a City match. However, I enjoyed watching the Rovers occasionally, and also our occasional trips to Ninian Park. I've always enjoyed watching football for the sake of it, whatever the team, and I enjoy nothing more than talking about football with fans of other clubs. I have good friends who support the Rovers, and I enjoy talking football with them. I also have particularly close friends and family who support Yeovil Town, Exeter City and West Bromwich Albion, and as a result I always keep an eye on the fortunes of those clubs too, and it has only enriched my enjoyment of football. Rivalry between clubs is all part of the game, but there is absolutely no reason why that rivalry shouldn't be friendly.

My dad is city and uncle is gas. I've never been able to get my head round the fact that some kids support their old mans arch enemy, if I had gone home and said I was gas I would have been booted out the house!!

Rightly or wrongly if my daughter ever came home and wanted to go and watch rovers with her mates she would not be allowed.

Agreed. My dad is a Rovers fan & my brother & I followed in his wise footsteps! :surrender:

My daughters mum lived with a City fan for a while & he used to take her to AG which I hated. Luckily she is living with me now & so I've showed her the error of her ways!!!! :D

Agreed. My dad is a Rovers fan & my brother & I followed in his wise footsteps! :surrender:

My daughters mum lived with a City fan for a while & he used to take her to AG which I hated. Luckily she is living with me now & so I've showed her the error of her ways!!!! :D

Child abuse, you should be ashamed of yourself :)

My family is gas through and through. One of my uncles didn't miss a game, home and away, (friendlies too!) for 14 years! He even missed the birth of one of my cousins due to it!

Anyway, another Uncle of mine won tickets from Radio Bristol (About 8 years ago) and we went. After winning around 6 tickets, (it was only about 8 games in.) we decided to buy a half season ticket.

We've renewed it every year since.

Growing up in Gloucestershire, there was a 'football bus' every saturday from the local town either to the Gate, or to Eastville. It was always full, so many of my mates and their brothers and dads etc went most weeks and had no real allegiances, once I was old enough to be allowed to go on my own I chose red, but many of my mates went blue. Despite the belief that you should despise them for chosing this path, we are still great mates and have the banter that comes with it.

CHR

I grew up in Torquay (which, on balance, was probably fortunate) and used to be a staunch Torquay United fan. My teenage years were spent defending the mini-stand (which held about 500 I guess) against visiting fans, which was quite comical in retrospect.

Moved to the metropolis of Bristol, for work and to get out of Torquay, when I was in my mid-20's (after enduring, and it was enduring, 4 years in Plymouth at the Poly). Landed in Long Ashton, went to see City play with one of my new works colleagues, and have been going ever since - over 20 years now! My son is City and my daughter is City. I still keep an eye on Torquay's results - but, sadly, my friends in Torquay have stopped going to Plainmoor and now follow Chelski (in fairness, we did used to get the train up to Stamford Bridge to watch Micky Droy et al when we were younger - when you could get free kiddie tickets from packets of shredded wheat!).

So, my choice of City was made easy for me - basically landed on the doorstep of AG, got an early introduction, and was hooked. I sometimes wonder how other people who weren't born in Bristol, and move here in later life, choose City over the other lot?

a lot of my wifes family are gas and her cousins son is a very promising young footballer turned down by the gas academy,was offered a scholership with city but his mum said no way so he missed out.i ended up following city in 1971 cos my late dad was a big fulham fan(coming from lambeth)and took me to watch city v fulham i got hooked from then.also my wife is a leeds fan and hates colin ****** with the other fifty percent of them

Dad is from North Wilts, supported Swindon Town and I followed in his footsteps. Of the brothers who follow football, one supports Manchester United and the other Newcastle United.

My dad stopped going when Rikki Hunt and Steve McMahon dismantled the club. He follows Chippenham Town now.

The missus' family are staunch Bristol City fans. When we moved to Bristol in March, there was no doubt that we'd end up in the Bedminster area.

Mum's side of the family grew up in south Wales and her mother moved to Bristol when she was just two years old. They first moved to Whorefield and often watched the gas, however my grandad was out of work and then had to move to bedminster for work there. After a period of time, my grandad to used to go down the gate with my mum nearly every week and they were immediately hooked. My dads side of the family were Bristol born and have always supported city, he also grew up in bedminster where he met my mum and took me to my first game in the late 90s. Loved going then and still do now!

My family being from London all supported either West Ham or Chelsea. I grew up an avid Arsenal fan and was Ian Wright's biggest fan - but when i started Secondary School i supported City more and more because my best mates were season ticket holders. Eventually i went to see a game (Watford (H) - 2007?) and saved up for a season ticket because i was hooked on live football. Never looked back, I love this football club!

My old man was partial to gas, he tried to get me to go but I was somehow pulled to the mighty reds and instead from the age of six was sat on my uncles shoulders on the enclosure in the late 70s.

I missed my first season since this year due to moving to Madrid (already have my city season ticket again for when I move back soon) and have been supporting Rayo Vallecano. They are an absolutely fantastic club entirely based on cast offs, ageing pros, loanees and free transfers, yet somehow, against the odds, they managed to survive in the primera on the last day of the season against Granada. It felt nearly as good as the Palace play off games a few years ago. Will be sad to leave them behind but can´t wait to get behind the reds again.

It's interesting that quite of few chose Bristol City despite their families predominately supporting Bristol Rovers.

No wonder the blue side are so angsty.

I imagine much of that is explained by the Twerton factor. Travel to Bath or remain reasonably local and go to a game with some City mates ....

My Bro and me followed in our old man's footsteps but the rest of the family is very mixed!

Mum - Man Utd (due to her school days crush on George Best!)

Nan was a Tranmere fan, although she's no longer with us.

4 uncles, 1 - Gas, 1 - Spurs, 1 - Watford and 1 - Notts County.

I have 5 cousins who support city, 2 are Gas, 1 West Ham and 1 Plymouth.

My daughters will be City fans, even if they don't realise that yet. They are 7 and 4 and have the names Ashton and Robyn so I've made sure of that!

The Missus is a Chelsea fan and most of her family are Gas apart from 1 brother who is a Gooner.

Loads of rivalry to choose from, no matter what league we play in!

I imagine much of that is explained by the Twerton factor. Travel to Bath or remain reasonably local and go to a game with some City mates ....

Good point, I didn't think of the convenience factor. I'm a country boy, Westbury (Wilts) to Swindon was quite a trek so shame on those who didn't go from Bristol to Bath!

One side of my family were all Gas, Uncles, Cousins, Father, luckily growing up my best mates dad was from Knowle West and City through and through and started taking me down the Gate in the late '70's coming from a Gas area we were a red oasis!

My old man sides towards rovers yet was taken to city games when he was young, got quite a few uncles who r gas too. They took me to the rovers vs Huddersfield playoff final, I was the only one still cheering on the way back in the mini bus - they weren't happy!

My dad always took me to city matches when I was young and was hooked since!

Archived