IGNORED

Crewe

Crewe always seem to produce numerous good youngsters, who get plenty of game time.

But the flip side of this is they are LG2 (div 4 in old money) playing in front of 3.5k most weeks.

If they were in the championship, their fans may also be expecting (or demanding) big money or big name signings every transfer window, and the pressure of these expectations would perhaps not allow them the luxury of fielding youngsters in so many positions.

You only have to look across this City to see the players brought through (and then sold on) over the years that their league status and budgetary constraints have had, and when they signed lots of 'experienced' players they went down and stayed down.

Cutting your cloth accordingly is the phrase I believe.

That said, the BCFC production line has not reaped the rewards that it should have.

CHR

We would never have a 17 year old score the important goal to take us to wembley..

Academy isn't even half as good as there's

We could most likely put out half a side of academy products (if not more) at their level. Carey (GK), Edwards, Ribeiro, Wilson, Holloway, Bryan, Holloway.

Still it would be nice to see a few more of our's get a go next season, we'll never know what they can do until we give them a chance.

We could most likely put out half a side of academy products (if not more) at their level. Carey (GK), Edwards, Ribeiro, Wilson, Holloway, Bryan, Holloway.

Still it would be nice to see a few more of our's get a go next season, we'll never know what they can do until we give them a chance.

Perhaps that's it in a nutshell... our management and coaches have seen what they are like and don't believe they are good enough.

We won't have one Holloway next season let alone 2 :laughcont: did you mean Reid by any chance?

Crewe have the I'd say the 9th best academy outside of the prem.

Their manager is also very good at bringing through youth.

I would say better than that! What academies would you put above them? Southampton have a pretty impressive set up but even they are in the Prem now

I would say better than that! What academies would you put above them? Southampton have a pretty impressive set up but even they are in the Prem now

There are some very good academies in the championship, Southampton (promoted I know) West Ham, Birmingham, Watford, Derby, Ipswich and Palace.

Crewe though is probably better than the majority of league one and two.

Crewe have the I'd say the 9th best academy outside of the prem.

Their manager is also very good at bringing through youth.

They always have been since the early 70,s. the list of Professional footballers they have produced is excellent...They probably deserve the title of "Academy of Football" more than Wham..

Crewe V Cheltenham should be a cracking final

I remember the Crewe sides that pipped us to promotion in both 1997 and 2003... Both very good footballing teams with some players that went on to much better things.

Its kind of a bummer for them that their resources are so small, thus all decent academy products need to be sold to balance the books. If they'd been able to hold on to some of these players long term, they could have put together a fantastic team.

Ipswich have a storming youth.

West Ham are better for obvious reasons, moneymoneymoney.

Wolves are now out of the football league, they produce youngsters for fun (they're all 16/17 now, just you wait)

Coventry have a very good youth, I believe 4 of the starting 11 v Southampton on the final day had played against the Saints U-18's for Cov U-18's just 2 weeks earlier.

Sheffield UTD & Wednesday both have good structures, their u-16's have both been absolutely amazing this year, bright future for all.

Crewe would be 7th, behind above for me.

Ipswich have a storming youth.

West Ham are better for obvious reasons, moneymoneymoney.

Wolves are now out of the football league, they produce youngsters for fun (they're all 16/17 now, just you wait)

Coventry have a very good youth, I believe 4 of the starting 11 v Southampton on the final day had played against the Saints U-18's for Cov U-18's just 2 weeks earlier.

Sheffield UTD & Wednesday both have good structures, their u-16's have both been absolutely amazing this year, bright future for all.

Crewe would be 7th, behind above for me.

Fair point, but Coventry didn't really have any choice but to play their youngsters. Also given Crewe's track record i would place them a bit higher than 7th, but thats just my opinion :)

• Admin
Crewe made Robbie Savage, Danny Murphy and Dean Ashton, that isn't bad going.
David Platt, Geoff Thomas, Neil Lennon, Nicky Maynard...

Although they deserve credit for signing young players & progressing them, the likes of Savage (Man U), Platt (Man U), Thomas (Rochdale), Lennon (Glenavon/Man C) & Varney (Quorn) didn't actually come through their academy/youth set up. All of these players moved to Crewe between the ages of 19 & 22. There's no doubt Crewe set them on their way but they didn't come up through their youth system.

Archived