IGNORED

1986-87 City Shirt On Ebay - Fake?

FredTheRed08

Anyone think this shirt is genuine?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1986-87-BRISTOL-CITY-3-HOME-SHIRT-JERSEY-CAMISETA-MAILLOT-TRIKOT-L-/320909104388?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ab7ac5504

It says it is a 86-87 City shirt but the design looks more like a 1989-90 shirt?

I didnt think we had the Robin crest in 86-87, I thought it was just the lettering BC82.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated before anyone parts with their hard earned.

Just looking at historical kits.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Bristol_City/Bristol_City.htm

In 86-87 we had the Bukta logo like the dolpin flying over the lettering, we didnt use the ball above the V Bukta logo until 87-88 and 88-90.

It appears to be a recently made kit in eastern europe combining the 86-87 and 88-90 kits?

Unless anyone else can tell me differently and we actually wore this design at some stage in 87-87?

It's defo not from the 88/89/90 pinstripe era - here's my genuine 90 shirt for comparison:

ArBpQ5mCIAA_EwJ.jpg

The "Hirerite" Pin strip shirts only came in two versions. Early shirts from 1988/89 had a white Bukta Logo and White Screen Printed big "Hirerite" Logo, then for 89/90 the shirts changed to the smaller Black velvert stuck on "Hirerite" logo (which I have), which alsp came with the same black velvet treatment of the Bukta Logo. Bizarely, City released the newer black version before the 88/89 season had finsihed, and I remember seeing the ballboys walking out at Twerton for that famous game wearing next season new Black version, whilst the players still wore the current white.

The 86/87 era they are talking about though is pre "centre stripe", but I was under the impression that all those shirts had BC82 instead of the robin? Back then replica kit prodcution wasn't as strict and money orientated as it is today, so it could possibly be a genuine test or design that never actually made it to production?

My guess is it's a genuine shirt (based on the BC82 design), that we wore a few times before being replaced by the "centre Stripe" design. Although it's interesting to see that the Hirerite isn't screenprinted, rather instead being thevelvet stick on letters.

:)

Just been checking loads of old team pics and can't find it anywhere....

NTTDS could check his library and give a definative answer....

The question is, WHY would somebody throw a Bristol City shirt together and expect to get that kind of money for it? ... unless it IS a very rare one (which we haven't seen or can remember)?

If it is a fake it looks a very very good one. I can't see it being a fake. If it wasn't a genuine kit then perhaps it is a prototype that was produced and given to the club to decide.

I know this user to happen and perhaps still does as I have a few protoype shirts from that era. Including the purple away kit and the home kit worn by jacki and Osman for the promo shots signed by both of them.

So it may be real just not a genuine kit. If that makes sense.

I don't like the look of the label. I have a 83-86 City shirt (the one before this 86-87 kit) and my Bukta label is very different to this.

There's lots of cheap shirts coming out of Eastern Europe, especially pretending to be original 80s designs, to cash in on that retro market.

I'm guessing someone has tried to "fake" an 86-87 kit but has used the wrong Bukta logo and based the pattern more on 89-90 than 86-87.

I think you might have your dates wrong KMPowell?

City didnt wear that shirt in 90/91, they wore what I called the "bird shit" design with all those stupid flecks on it that season.

They wore your kit in 88-89 (season we got to Littlewoods Cup semi-final) and 89-90 promotion season.

Maybe the Hirerite logo was white in 88-89 and black in 89-90?

I think you might have your dates wrong KMPowell?

City didnt wear that shirt in 90/91, they wore what I called the "bird shit" design with all those stupid flecks on it that season.

They wore your kit in 88-89 (season we got to Littlewoods Cup semi-final) and 89-90 promotion season.

Maybe the Hirerite logo was white in 88-89 and black in 89-90?

Yes, my bad memory, amended my post....

To add even more confusion. This 88-89 team pic has white Bukta logo and black Hirerite lettering.

http://www.google.co...72&tx=145&ty=94

And to add even more confusion - I'm pretty sure it was the promotion season at Twerton where the ballboys wore the black letters and players white. Becasue it was around that time I got bough tmy kit. hmmmm...

EDIT:

Yup I was right, look at the shirts at the very start...

... so it looks like that during 89/90 City wore the black letters and white letters depending on what was available.

C'mon, owe up, which fool has just read this thread and splashed out 90 quid on a fake shirt?

:laugh: that fool would be me

It's not a fake, that is a very rare shirt that we only wore for about half a season. You couldn't buy it at the time.

I had to buy that shirt even though it was so much money!

When I saw the topic title I was hoping it would be about this shirt. This is the shirt that no-one else remembers - I started a topic on here many years ago to see if anyone remembered it but no-one did.

We wore it in the first part of the 1986/87 season, until our actual shirt (the one with the white band was ready).

How do I remember? We'd just won the Freight Rover Trophy in 1986 wearing the thick shadow stripe shirt with the BC82 logo (which was my first ever shirt as a child). My dad took me to the open day where you could have a picture taken with the trophy. Hung on the wall was a row of these new shirts. I remember how amazing it looked - thinner shadow stripes and the white pin stripes, but the main thing was that we finally had our badge on there! (All the kids at school with the Crown Paints Liverpool shirts had a proper badge and ours looked poor without one!) I had my picture taken with Alan Walsh and asked him if that was our new shirt and he said it's a temporary one until the actual shirts arrive.

We wore that shirt for the first part of the 1986 / 87 season, but it wasn't available to buy. Around Christmas time of that season I remember going to a Tuesday night game and saying to my dad 'they're wearing a different shirt' - it had changed to the one with the white band. The one with the white band was worn for the rest of the 1986/87 season and the whole of the next, and of course we wore a white shirt with red band for the 1987 Freight Rover final even though Mansfield played in yellow!

If anyone has any matchday programmes from the first part of 1986/87, the action photos pages should confirm this. I also have the photo of me with Alan Walsh and the shirts in the background somewhere at my parents house, so will scan it next time I'm there.

When I saw the topic title I was hoping it would be about this shirt. This is the shirt that no-one else remembers - I started a topic on here many years ago to see if anyone remembered it but no-one did.

We wore it in the first part of the 1986/87 season, until our actual shirt (the one with the white band was ready).

How do I remember? We'd just won the Freight Rover Trophy in 1986 wearing the thick shadow stripe shirt with the BC82 logo (which was my first ever shirt as a child). My dad took me to the open day where you could have a picture taken with the trophy. Hung on the wall was a row of these new shirts. I remember how amazing it looked - thinner shadow stripes and the white pin stripes, but the main thing was that we finally had our badge on there! (All the kids at school with the Crown Paints Liverpool shirts had a proper badge and ours looked poor without one!) I had my picture taken with Alan Walsh and asked him if that was our new shirt and he said it's a temporary one until the actual shirts arrive.

We wore that shirt for the first part of the 1986 / 87 season, but it wasn't available to buy. Around Christmas time of that season I remember going to a Tuesday night game and saying to my dad 'they're wearing a different shirt' - it had changed to the one with the white band. The one with the white band was worn for the rest of the 1986/87 season and the whole of the next, and of course we wore a white shirt with red band for the 1987 Freight Rover final even though Mansfield played in yellow!

If anyone has any matchday programmes from the first part of 1986/87, the action photos pages should confirm this. I also have the photo of me with Alan Walsh and the shirts in the background somewhere at my parents house, so will scan it next time I'm there.

Sounds like the shirt has found the right home. Well done mate.

Yep real... 86-87 the year we lost to mansfield on pens at wembley although we wore white that day

David moyes in that shirt.

moyes1.jpg

85-86 We won at wembley beating bolton

( style that season below, notice in the picture the buka logo is different on various shirts)

BOL.jpg

Sounds like the shirt has found the right home. Well done mate.

Cheers mate :)

I stand corrected Walshy, apologies. Looks like it is the real deal. I've never seen this shirt before.

no worries. Can't wait to get it now!

If you want to pass on a finder's fee Walshy for alerting you too it, thats fine too :o)

:laugh: I would but er... I've used all my money up on the shirt! Tesco Value for me for the next few weeks :violin:

I personally think you got an absolute bargain! It's a genuine player's shirt that was never for sale! With that in mind it makes that a very special item you have there. Considering mint condition replica shirts of that era are circa £100, I would value that at £200 minimum. Congrats, and great to see it's going to a good home :)

I personally think you got an absolute bargain! It's a genuine player's shirt that was never for sale! With that in mind it makes that a very special item you have there. Considering mint condition replica shirts of that era are circa £100, I would value that at £200 minimum. Congrats, and great to see it's going to a good home :)

Thanks for that. So it should be Brian Williams' match worn shirt as he wore no.3 back then?

The shirt in your signature was introduced for the 1988/89 season. My replica kit bought at the start of that season had the black Hirerite logo and white Bukta logo and that's what the players wore at first.

The Hirerite logo became bigger and changed to white just before the Littlewoods Cup Semi-final with Forest in February 1989. I think this was because the game was shown live on ITV and the black logo didn't show up very well.

They then wore this shirt for the rest of that season and also the 1989/90 promotion winning season, but I don't think you could buy it - the replica kits still had the black Hirerite, and it was the later replicas that had a black Bukta logo.

If you can find enough images of the shirts being worn by players you could probably identify one actually wearing 'the' shirt. We didn't have that many Left Backs that would have worn it? The positioning of the HIRERITE logo over the pin-stripes will also identify it (like a fingerprint). hth

Archived