IGNORED

Blatter Wants Penalty Shootout Alternative

Barrs Court Red

so you're implying that blatter, a swiss, somehow favours bayern munich? despite the fact that proposals to end penalty shootouts were made as early as euro 1996, 18 years before "his" team lost a penalty shoot...?

also exploring alternatives certainly isn't "going off on one" - penalties do not ensure that the better team wins, sadly. there has to be a better solution and it's only right to discuss it.

but of course because he's "johnny foreigner" he must be a power-grabbing, anti-english hate mongeror.

So your saying Sepp isn't corupt, he's as bent as a 9 bob note.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6861161/corruption-murder-beautiful-game

so you're implying that blatter, a swiss, somehow favours bayern munich? despite the fact that proposals to end penalty shootouts were made as early as euro 1996, 18 years before "his" team lost a penalty shoot...?

also exploring alternatives certainly isn't "going off on one" - penalties do not ensure that the better team wins, sadly. there has to be a better solution and it's only right to discuss it.

but of course because he's "johnny foreigner" he must be a power-grabbing, anti-english hate mongeror.

If it's all about the better team winning why not have judges like in boxing?? The best team doesn't always score the most goals in 90 mins.

Herr Beckenbauer has been having a word in Herr Blatters' shelllike after their beloved Bayern Munchen lost out to Chelski.

Didn;t here him moaning when they beat Real Madrid in the semi final or at any time Germany win a shootout.

T$$$$er.

BCAGFC

Agreed... But... What about removing a player every 5 mins during extra time. Therefore finishing the 30 mins with only 5 players on the pitch (if you start extra time with 10).

Then Pens with the 5 left!

this is the idea that would almost guarantee a goal. 6 a-side on a full size pitch? Someone is bound to score

Agreed... But... What about removing a player every 5 mins during extra time. Therefore finishing the 30 mins with only 5 players on the pitch (if you start extra time with 10).

Then Pens with the 5 left!

This is the idea that has been suggested in the past, and as we're led to believe, the preferred option of Blatter, and some other FIFA members. I think the idea is to play something like 20 minutes, then reduce to 8 v 8, and further and further if necessary.

So your saying Sepp isn't corupt, he's as bent as a 9 bob note.

http://www.grantland...-beautiful-game

oh no doubt the guy is a prize-grade ****, but i think it's unfair to suggest the timing of this (which is more likely to do with the euros than the CL final) has anything to do with fc bayern

germans love penalties because they almost always win. no one in germany would be in favour of changing that!

i'd be in favour of something more skill based, admittedly its hard to come up with anything. alternately you base it on stats - the team with the most shots on target during the 90 wins, then shots off target, then corners etc.

that would hopefully prevent the kind of anti-football chelsea played to get to the final.

i'd be in favour of something more skill based, admittedly its hard to come up with anything. alternately you base it on stats - the team with the most shots on target during the 90 wins, then shots off target, then corners etc.

that would hopefully prevent the kind of anti-football chelsea played to get to the final.

British football has become a bore to watch because most teams these days set out not to lose, it's a throw back to how the Italians used to play when they were at their most dominant. Absorb pressure then counter attack, if you don't score keep a clean sheet and hope for penalties. A fear of losing has crept in and this anti-football is perfect for our sides.

oh no doubt the guy is a prize-grade ****, but i think it's unfair to suggest the timing of this (which is more likely to do with the euros than the CL final) has anything to do with fc bayern

germans love penalties because they almost always win. no one in germany would be in favour of changing that!

WRONG !

I was a huge fan of the "Golden Goal" and would like to see it again.

As the next goal wins, both teams have to play offensively and it's more than just pure luck and / or lottery deciding a game or even a title...

Actually I do not know anyone who's a fan of the penalties...

British football has become a bore to watch because most teams these days set out not to lose, it's a throw back to how the Italians used to play when they were at their most dominant. Absorb pressure then counter attack, if you don't score keep a clean sheet and hope for penalties. A fear of losing has crept in and this anti-football is perfect for our sides.

When you say most teams, who do you mean?

Chelski definitely played that way under Di Matteo in Europe, who else?

Well said.

No, the fact he's a power-grabbing, anti-English hate mongeror is what makes him a power-grabbing, anti-English hate mongeror.

Penalty shoot outs were introduced for the Watney Cup in 1970 as the three rounds were played injust 8 days, so replays were not practical. Someone had the idea therefore of penaalties. UEFA then adopted the idea. Until then if teams were tied they simply tossed a coin or disc to determine who went through to the next round. Yep they had the equivalent of Chelsea v Bayern determined by a call of heads or tails!

I have no problem with penalties.

Not fair just to play for ever taking players off - would seem to me there is at least some skill in penalties.

A bit like the play offs really - not perfect, but do add excitement.

Never liked Golden Goals ever since Gazza looking at the ball drfting past him v Germany in 1996!

Your so right.

Only a fool or a daily mail reader would think that the timing of this has anything to do with an English side winning a major match on penalties. It's more of a smokescreen for backtracking on reforms.

Anyway, we've had this debate several times on otib, and none of us have ever come up with a satisfactory alternative, given the (assumed) constraints of 1. Finishing the match inside the TV "window" - no 3-hour potentially unending extra time periods; and 2. having something that doesn't artifically alter the match itself, eg teams playing deliberately just for corners (if you decided matches on corners).

I for one don't mind penalties - the fact that Germany don't have a bad record at them but England and Holland do speaks volumes in terms of the "do the better teams win?" debate.

I think Blatter, the consumate politician, has publicly given this job to Beckenbauer so that when the latter fails to come up with anything either, it will make him look like the idiot. Why Blatter wants to undermine Beckenbauer I don't know, the biggest threats to his position appear to be Platini, Jerome Champagne or the collective bargaining of the ECA.

Archived