IGNORED

Pitman Moving On.......... Or So The Daily Mail Would Have Us Belive

Bristolface

Ings' goalscoring record isn't great but we've not seen him fully fit yet. He's looked a player every time he's played, and with all due respect to Pitman he hasn't ever done enough to come in and be an automatic starter for us.

Bit confused here Burnley Fan.

Didn't Ings got into the Bournemouth team after Pitman left them and then went on to score a total of 7 in 27 for them?

Pitman scored 27 in his last season for Bournemouth, and has scored well at Championship level with City when given any extended chance in the team at all - 13 goals the season before last in only 21 starts before the make up of our team, playing a lone striker, reduced his effectiveness and first team opportunities.

I would suggest Howe means to play Pitman if you sign him - he just needs a manager who believes in him (no doubt Howe would be that manager should you sign him) and regular starts in a team creating chances and you'll have one of the highest scoring strikers in this league.

I'll be extremely disappointed if our perennially low scoring club feels the need to sell a potential 20 goal striker to a divisional rival when there is very little hope we could replace him with a striker likely to score as many.

Mark my words, Pitman will go on to score heavily for someone in this league, whether it be at City - hopefully - Burnley, or elsewhere.

Sell, sell, sell.

We might actually get someone who can run faster than a tortoise and work harder than an unwashed tax dodger.

BCAGFC

Brett is a very good striker. If he had pace, he would be prem bound, no question about that. Like someone has already said, if he gets creativity, then he will score for fun.

Brett is a very good striker. If he had pace, he would be prem bound, no question about that. Like someone has already said, if he gets creativity, then he will score for fun.

Pace & strength is vital at championship level unless you have the natural ability of a Kevin Phillips.................BP hasn't got anywhere near that ability.

If we continue to use a system & tactics that are set up for counter attacking football, your strikers need pace, no good Albert speeding down the wing when lardy is blowing his arse in the centre circle.

BCAGFC

Pace & strength is vital at championship level unless you have the natural ability of a Kevin Phillips.................BP hasn't got anywhere near that ability.

If we continue to use a system & tactics that are set up for counter attacking football, your strikers need pace, no good Albert speeding down the wing when lardy is blowing his arse in the centre circle.

BCAGFC

Danny Haynes has got pace and strength, yet he is awful. Pitman is a very clever player and one who I would keep. He does have natural ability? His finishing, awareness and touch is second to none.

It does astound me how some people advocate selling our best finisher because he doesn't run around like a lunatic. You wouldn't expect Gerken to make a dazzling run up the wing nor Font's to ping a 50 yard pin point pass to release Albert, but most would agree they do their job. Pitman scores goals and he's made a few as well but because he doesn't cover every blade of grass he's lazy. As for his pace he compensates for this shortcoming by being in the right position more often than not. If we did sell him for a million who would we get to replace him for less? As for counter attacking, we need a defence that can soak up the pressure first with full backs that can turn defence into attack (although Foster has the potential for this and hopefully Del will unearth another attack minded leftback)

The last player we had as good at finishing as Pitman was Andrew Cole. If Del brings in the quality and class we need then BP will thrive. But if we do sell him I doubt we will replace him for £1M.

So Stead goes for a mill. Pitman goes for a mill.Who will replace him?

There's a guy that could come in as a replacement Micky Maynard or summat. (oh the irony) :0)

JAMIE MURPHY Motherwell,all time top scorer for them in Europe.And is a total flying machine.

He turned down Blackpool and the poor wage offer,a deal got agreed for £500 000 last season

He looks a better player than Ross McCormack,who fires in goals at Leeds down there

He might be holding out for a move to a EPL club though,and has been watched bye Spurs and QPR

It does astound me how some people advocate selling our best finisher because he doesn't run around like a lunatic. You wouldn't expect Gerken to make a dazzling run up the wing nor Font's to ping a 50 yard pin point pass to release Albert, but most would agree they do their job. Pitman scores goals and he's made a few as well but because he doesn't cover every blade of grass he's lazy. As for his pace he compensates for this shortcoming by being in the right position more often than not. If we did sell him for a million who would we get to replace him for less? As for counter attacking, we need a defence that can soak up the pressure first with full backs that can turn defence into attack (although Foster has the potential for this and hopefully Del will unearth another attack minded leftback)

The last player we had as good at finishing as Pitman was Andrew Cole. If Del brings in the quality and class we need then BP will thrive. But if we do sell him I doubt we will replace him for £1M.

Paul Dixson and Callum Booth are attack minded left backs.

JAMIE MURPHY Motherwell,all time top scorer for them in Europe.And is a total flying machine.

He turned down Blackpool and the poor wage offer,a deal got agreed for £500 000 last season

He looks a better player than Ross McCormack,who fires in goals at Leeds down there

He might be holding out for a move to a EPL club though,and has been watched bye Spurs and QPR

Jock, that Sir is a great shout!

I have friends in Glasgow who have said this kid looks good and is rather rapid.

Wether he can hit the ground running in the Championship, I don't know but he is definitely one I would think Del has looked at.

I would be extremely disappointed if we were to sell Pitman. His 'lack of effort' is hugely exaggerated on this forum, but even if he was as lazy as other people like to make out he has a gift that not many other strikers at this level have. He is an out and out goalscorer. It is a sad day if the main thing we are looking for in a striker is work rate, closing down the fullbacks and helping out in midfield.

I would like to know of any other clubs that have scored the almost embarassingly low total of goals that we have scored over the past 5 seasons that would readily get rid of their best player at doing the hardest, and clearly most important part of the game, which is sticking the thing in the back of the net. He clearly has weaknesses in his game, if he didn't he would be playing for a much bigger club than us, but he is so good at the things he is good at that surely we should be looking to play in a way that gets the best out of him rather than ostracising him due to his lack of pace and inability to lead the line by himself. His ability in the air, with his back to goal and bringing other players in to play is also often overlooked by those attempting to label him as some type of lazy poacher type player.

Him and Stead also proved to form a very decent partnership together under Millen whilst Maynard was out with his knee injury. They only managed to start together four times last season and we took 7 points from those games and were unlucky in my view to lose against Cardiff.

One of the most sensible posts that I have read.

Well done bearded_red, couldn't have put it better myself. :clapping:

Paul Dixson and Callum Booth are attack minded left backs.

Would take Dixon, but not Booth

"Booth was dropped from the team early in the 2011–12 season, after he made a few defensive errors" - from his Wikipedia

Pitman is a 20 goal a season Champonship player (if given regular starts) and that's a player type you can't coach but can only buy in for several million.

Sure you could get him to run around and track back but you'd also turn him into a 6 or 7 goals a season player.

By floating around a bit he finds space cleverly and intuitively. He also provides more assists than most of players. He'll have bad games where he contributes next to nothing but if you accept that in exchange for the approximate 20 much needed goals in the team he'll contribute then it's a more than decent trade off.

Yeah get him to chase back and stick him out on the left, it's the way we treated Bob Taylor and he never went on to do anything of note after we gave him to West Brom. Oh wait.....

Sure you need workhorses in your team, but you also need goalscorers and flair, It would bore the piss out of me if all we did was buy athletes, that's what the Olympics are for.

It's clear Pitman's face doesnt fit with Del while the player himself isnt 100% happy here.

I can see a Pitman going for 1.5m and Sandaza coming in on a free. Both very simialr players in style.

I wouldnt want to see this happen but if Sandaza came in and carried on the forum that saw Rangers want him last season & got goals here we would soon forget about Pitman and say it a shrewd move by Del.

Archived