IGNORED

Worst England Team Since Ever?

CiderArmyy

Our main defender now out replaced by.. martin kelly..

What next, jay spearing for scott parker when he gets injured?

Martin Kelly is the best right back at Liverpool and should be in front of Johnson. Jagielka is a decent replacement for Cahill

He's picking alot of youth.

The squad isn't that bad..

Yeah your right mate. Hodgson can't help all the injuries and players like Richards and Carrick refusing to go on standby.

Like Henderson, Kelly is unlikely to play so the experience can only benefit them.

He refused to go on standby! That's why!

Really ? Not heard that , knew about Carrick but not Richards. If that's the case he should never be picked again IMO. Never turn your back on your country.

Really ? Not heard that , knew about Carrick but not Richards. If that's the case he should never be picked again IMO. Never turn your back on your country.

I don't believe in retiring from international football let alone refusing to go on standby.

Why retire from representing your country? Beckham and Lampard have said they will never retire from internationals. Fair play to them.

Yeah apparently him and Carrick didn't want to be on the standby list as they both felt they deserved a more important role. I am fed up of it all to be honest, all these players making themselves unavailable. It's not on. And we wonder why we never win things?

I don't believe in retiring from international football let alone refusing to go on standby.

Why retire from representing your country? Beckham and Lampard have said they will never retire from internationals. Fair play to them.

i dont think taking beckham would have been a bad shout the way things have panned out

I think its good that were giving youth a chance. OK players like Henderson, Downing, Kelly, Carroll, Welbeck havent set the world on fire in the Prem, but maybe going to the Euros with no real pressure to perform may be good for them. Ox-C doesnt seem to be phased and looks exciting, if maybe a little naive at times.

Injuries to Lampard & Barry, and Ferdinand being unfit are a blessing in disguise, it forces Roy to get rid of some of the "old guard" and experiment a little.

Yeah apparently him and Carrick didn't want to be on the standby list as they both felt they deserved a more important role. I am fed up of it all to be honest, all these players making themselves unavailable. It's not on. And we wonder why we never win things?

I cant find anything anywhere to suggest Richards refused. Not saying you are wrong but it seems a strange one for someone who was frozen out by Capello. Found this article from the Sun and it doesn't mention anything ?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4320807/Micah-Richards-gutted-by-England-Euro-squad-omission.html

I think its good that were giving youth a chance. OK players like Henderson, Downing, Kelly, Carroll, Welbeck havent set the world on fire in the Prem, but maybe going to the Euros with no real pressure to perform may be good for them. Ox-C doesnt seem to be phased and looks exciting, if maybe a little naive at times.

Injuries to Lampard & Barry, and Ferdinand being unfit are a blessing in disguise, it forces Roy to get rid of some of the "old guard" and experiment a little.

Spot on mate. The 'old guard' has to be moved on at some point.

Even though the likes of Henderson, Kelly etc are probably not good enough at the moment, like it or not they are the future. Realistically neither are likely to see much, if any game time. We just have to hope they will all benefit from the experience.

I cant find anything anywhere to suggest Richards refused. Not saying you are wrong but it seems a strange one for someone who was frozen out by Capello. Found this article from the Sun and it doesn't mention anything ?

http://www.thesun.co...d-omission.html

I was listening to Talksport and they spoke about it on there. I guess they could be wrong but that's where I heard it from. I honestly don't see how Kelly could be selected over him if this is not the case.

Yeah agree. Certainly wouldn't have let anyone down, but he really did shoot himself in the foot by going over to play in the MLS.

true, but still worth a place on his passing ,setplays delivery etc because i cant see any one in that team with half his skills in the fornamed departments

true, but still worth a place on his passing ,setplays delivery etc because i cant see any one in that team with half his skills in the fornamed departments

Yeah I agree. Even though he has seen better days he could still offer something. Might even have helped Carroll out.

I'm not convinced Richards ruled himself out, Carrick did, but that was before Hodgson took over, and he made no attempt to speak to Carrick about that decision.

I don't think anyone has a major issue with Carroll, Welbeck or Oxlade-Chamberlain being in the squad, they're decent players, who've at least shown some promise this season. It's the selections of Henderson and Kelly from the standby list that have caused raised eyebrows. I'm not overly bothered myself, as it will be good experience for them if they go on to become good players, and I can't see them playing a part anyway, but I will say that I don't think anyone could argue that we have our strongest 23 going to this tourament, and that does seem slightly strange to me.

I'm not convinced Richards ruled himself out, Carrick did, but that was before Hodgson took over, and he made no attempt to speak to Carrick about that decision.

I don't think anyone has a major issue with Carroll, Welbeck or Oxlade-Chamberlain being in the squad, they're decent players, who've at least shown some promise this season. It's the selections of Henderson and Kelly from the standby list that have caused raised eyebrows. I'm not overly bothered myself, as it will be good experience for them if they go on to become good players, and I can't see them playing a part anyway, but I will say that I don't think anyone could argue that we have our strongest 23 going to this tourament, and that does seem slightly strange to me.

Hodgson did try and speak to Carrick. Fergie said to Roy that if he wasn't going to play him then he didn't want him to go. Crazy I know.

Carrick also told Hodgson that he would help us out in an emergency. He didn't rule himself out before Hodgson took over.

As for Richards, having played a huge part this year for Man City, and with Roy telling him he is part of his plans, I honestly can't think of why he wouldn't be involved ahead of Kelly unless he had initially refused standby.

Hodgson did try and speak to Carrick. Fergie said to Roy that if he wasn't going to play him then he didn't want him to go. Crazy I know.

Carrick also told Hodgson that he would help us out in an emergency. He didn't rule himself out before Hodgson took over.

As for Richards, having played a huge part this year for Man City, and with Roy telling him he is part of his plans, I honestly can't think of why he wouldn't be involved ahead of Kelly unless he had initially refused standby.

Looks like you were right mate. I guess his England career is over before it's really begun.

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/euro-2012/england/120603/exclusive-anderson-richards-should-have-made-himself-available-england-173

Yeah just heard it again myself on the Talksport news update. Disappointing to say the least. Shocking attitude to be honest.

Take Jagielka for example. Model pro.

Knew he was only on the standby list and at the time probably wasn't going to go to the euros but played against Norway without moaning and groaning, did a fantastic professional job in the hope of sneaking in the event of injuries etc. credit to himself.

Now for me, if everyone was fit Jagielka wouldn't have got anywhere near my squad, but the bloke deserves it for being prepared to put his body on the line, and more importantly actually wanting to represent his country.

I'm not sure where you get your information from, but I'd rather only trust the person themselves, rather that what is most probably paper talk. This is quoted from Hodgson himself:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2012/06/01/3141559/parker-will-be-fully-fit-for-euro-2012-carrick-call-up-was-never-

"The contacts with Michael were conducted before I took the job and it was made clear to me that he wasn't a player who wanted to be considered, so quite frankly he wasn't a player who did consider [for Euro 2012]," said the 64-year-old.

"And at the time with all the senior players we had at our disposal, maybe it wasn't so important. Carrick is a player I've always admired, who knows, in the future if these injuries continue, he may have a place, but I'll have to go and speak to him, although I didn't think it was appropriate before the championship."

As for Richards, maybe he did refuse to go on standby, but imo he should've been in the squad in the beginning.

I'm not sure where you get your information from, but I'd rather only trust the person themselves, rather that what is most probably paper talk. This is quoted from Hodgson himself:

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2012/06/01/3141559/parker-will-be-fully-fit-for-euro-2012-carrick-call-up-was-never-

"The contacts with Michael were conducted before I took the job and it was made clear to me that he wasn't a player who wanted to be considered, so quite frankly he wasn't a player who did consider [for Euro 2012]," said the 64-year-old.

"And at the time with all the senior players we had at our disposal, maybe it wasn't so important. Carrick is a player I've always admired, who knows, in the future if these injuries continue, he may have a place, but I'll have to go and speak to him, although I didn't think it was appropriate before the championship."

As for Richards, maybe he did refuse to go on standby, but imo he should've been in the squad in the beginning.

Talksport mate. I think as stated above Carricl didn't want to commit to international football and Hodgson knew that, but approached him again and was rebuffed.

As for Richards it has just come up again on the Talksport news feed he refused to go on standby. Shocking to be honest, but I agree with you he should have comfortably been in the squad in the first place.

Not saying Richards would be right to refuse to be on standby but you can understand him being angry not to be in the original 23.

Played a massive part in man city winning the league and can play full back or centre back, but got overlooked for an average player in Johnson who has missed half the season through injury.

Disagree, you accept the decision and vow to make it impossible not to be included in the next squad.

Spoilt little brat springs to mind, I hope he never plays for England again.

Richards would have been in my original squad. I don't rate Johnson much, I think Kelly is a better full back than him and Kelly is a much better centre half than he is a full back! I can see him being Liverpool and England centre half for many years. If Richards has refused to go on standby then more fool him, no squad needs that, whether he should have been in the original squad or not.

Chin up though lads, you're still better than us and you've a much easier group so.

Disagree, you accept the decision and vow to make it impossible not to be included in the next squad.

Spoilt little brat springs to mind, I hope he never plays for England again.

There isn't anything to disagree with cus I wasn't agreeing with Richards refusing to go on standby if that was the case. All I'm saying is he had every right to feel hard done by given the season he had compared to Johnson.

And you say make it impossible not to be picked. I would question what more as a defender you would need to do other than win the league and chip in with a few goals?

Kelly is a top replacement for Cahill. He is a confident lad, big, strong, good touch and can play anywhere across the back 4. He'll be No 1 RB for Liverpool next season and is ready to step up if called upon.

Johnson will be Liverpool's number 1 right back next season.

That is pretty certain.

Archived