IGNORED

South Bristol Conspiracy

bs3

Is there a conspiracy within The Greater Bristol area to strangle the life out of South Bristol and restrict growth in this area.

We all know what as gone on in Ashton Vale by dark forces from outside the area stopping a multi million pound development .

However that is not the all story , the ringroad stops at Hicks gate , why? Why does it not go on to South Bristol . Why is there a ringroad in East and North Bristo buy not south Bristol.

Why have there not been any housing delevopment in South Bristol for over 40 years. Why have there been no factories , business parks or science parks built in South Bristol for over 30 years .

When there is something built like a swimming pool why do the rest of Bristol complain that it's built in the wrong place.ie south Bristol. The lib Dems wanted the new swimming pool to be built in the North of the City close to south Glos.

Bristol City is a south Bristol club so why do always get a poor press from the media yet Rovers are treated with a much favourable press.

There seem an agenda from these dark forces who are anti South Bristol .

Can understand your frustration here BS3, but don't forget Bedminster has just been announced as one of the winners of the Portas/Govt initiative to share in the £1.2m fund.

Although our share, which will likely be £100k, won't totally revitalise the area (and I'm still not certain why some of it is going on a bicycle rickshaw project), it will certainly bring positive publicity and Central Govt attention and support. Given the publicity, they won't want this initiative to fail.

Hopefully the start of bigger and better things to come. Onwards and upwards!

Is there a conspiracy within The Greater Bristol area to strangle the life out of South Bristol and restrict growth in this area.

We all know what as gone on in Ashton Vale by dark forces from outside the area stopping a multi million pound development .

However that is not the all story , the ringroad stops at Hicks gate , why? Why does it not go on to South Bristol . Why is there a ringroad in East and North Bristo buy not south Bristol.

Why have there not been any housing delevopment in South Bristol for over 40 years. Why have there been no factories , business parks or science parks built in South Bristol for over 30 years .

When there is something built like a swimming pool why do the rest of Bristol complain that it's built in the wrong place.ie south Bristol. The lib Dems wanted the new swimming pool to be built in the North of the City close to south Glos.

Bristol City is a south Bristol club so why do always get a poor press from the media yet Rovers are treated with a much favourable press.

I couldn't agree with you more mate although I do - despite some of the rougher areas being in South London - like the fact that South Bristol is less built-up and claustrophobic like other parts of Bristol. Some parts of South Bristol need to be - in an ideal world - be bulldozed and be started all over again - some parts were designed without thought as Bristol 's population rapidly increased some 70 or 80 years ago.

South Bristol is the gateway to the Mendips and maybe many want to avoid mass development adjacent to it. The Mendips, Chew Valley area are beautiful parts but are one of the main reasons for the placement of the M5 and M4 and its intersection which are to the west and north and hence development in the north. Setting up business in the South is just not a viable proposition for most companies when easy access to the rest of the country is crucial.

To me South Bristol will be developed further but its just a case of when. Based on the slowness and reluctance to develop anything that counts as 'South' then it will be a VERY long time before noticeable large development is made. For me its about redeveloping South Bristol and not expanding it. Saying that I'm not opposed to Ashton Vale.

I couldn't agree with you more mate although I do - despite some of the rougher areas being in South London - like the fact that South Bristol is less built-up and claustrophobic like other parts of Bristol. Some parts of South Bristol need to be - in an ideal world - be bulldozed and be started all over again - some parts were designed without thought as Bristol 's population rapidly increased some 70 or 80 years ago.

South Bristol is the gateway to the Mendips and maybe many want to avoid mass development adjacent to it. The Mendips, Chew Valley area are beautiful parts but are one of the main reasons for the placement of the M5 and M4 and its intersection which are to the west and north and hence development in the north. Setting up business in the South is just not a viable proposition for most companies when easy access to the rest of the country is crucial.

To me South Bristol will be developed further but its just a case of when. Based on the slowness and reluctance to develop anything that counts as 'South' then it will be a VERY long time before noticeable large development is made. For me its about redeveloping South Bristol and not expanding it. Saying that I'm not opposed to Ashton Vale.

Fair points.

But we do need not just need but it's vital we have new roads to South Bristol to encourage business.

There is project to stop traffic using Redcliffe Hill that will mean trapping 100,000 people in South Bristol .

There is a campaign by the Greens supported by the LibDems to transform the Redcliffe Area into a village and part of this project was to close Redcliffe Hill to traffic .

It was reported on Radio Bristol and the women presenter on the Saturday Morning show seem very pleased at the prospect of this , I dare say she lived in Clifton and was not happy about Bridge Valley road being closed to traffic .

(and I'm still not certain why some of it is going on a bicycle rickshaw project)

It's a plan to block up more of the road so car drivers go slower.

Not being from Bristol myself, I am still unsure when they had the centre of Bristol ripped up building the new shopping centre, why didn't they build a tram system when there was a blank canvas for them to do so?

There is a campaign by the Greens supported by the LibDems to transform the Redcliffe Area into a village and part of this project was to close Redcliffe Hill to traffic .

It was reported on Radio Bristol and the women presenter on the Saturday Morning show seem very pleased at the prospect of this , I dare say she lived in Clifton and was not happy about Bridge Valley road being closed to traffic .

No offence if you live there (my Grandparents did in the late 60's/early 70's) but how are they going to hide the blocks of flats? The Bristol General Hospital site? Guessing their plans include complete redevelopment of the Flats (demolishing) and the Hospital (refurb) and building some nice 'apartments' overlooking the harbour/river and St Mary Redcliffe Church.....nice.

Meant to add, My Auntie way married in St.Mary Redcliffe Church in 1972, the 8mm Cini Film shows 2 cars passing the front of the church.... on a saturday afternoon! .... and the flyover was there too! (everybody must have been at AG)

You do get the impression that South Bristol is being treated like that messy large backyard that you know needs sorting and tidying but for some reason you never get around to it. When people visit you can at least make sure you keep the house tidy and the small front garden so that visitors see only what you want them to see i.e. the historically interesting - and been through a lot and seen a lot - 'cosy living room' city centre- and the front garden - North Bristol .

Always felt this growing up in the South.....

No offence if you live there (my Grandparents did in the late 60's/early 70's) but how are they going to hide the blocks of flats? The Bristol General Hospital site? Guessing their plans include complete redevelopment of the Flats (demolishing) and the Hospital (refurb) and building some nice 'apartments' overlooking the harbour/river and St Mary Redcliffe Church.....nice.

I lived in Redcliffe in the early 90s .The plan for the general hospital is very seprate to the the road changes which are planned and are in no way connected.

They are not going to knock down the flats and when we say "Village" it's in the lose sense of the term like the Village green at Ashton Vale .

They want stop traffic going through Redcliffe and create a "Village Atmosphere".

You do get the impression that South Bristol is being treated like that messy large backyard that you know needs sorting and tidying but for some reason you never get around to it. When people visit you can at least make sure you keep the house tidy and the small front garden so that they visitors see only what you want them to see i.e. the historically interesting - and been through a lot and seen a lot - cosy living room - and the front garden - North Bristol .

Brilliant analogy

It is abit of an island.

In rush hour that whole area is a carpark. Too many let affix lights and pelican crossings

If you live in South Bristol and want to get to Motorway or North Bristol you have to drive through the centre of the City , if a ringroad was built it would mean less traffic flowing through the centre of the City.

You do get the impression that South Bristol is being treated like that messy large backyard that you know needs sorting and tidying but for some reason you never get around to it. When people visit you can at least make sure you keep the house tidy and the small front garden so that they visitors see only what you want them to see i.e. the historically interesting - and been through a lot and seen a lot - 'cosy living room' city centre- and the front garden - North Bristol .

It's just that I'm afraid.....M32 is garden path leading up to the front door, you can break in through the attractive window to the west under the Suspension Bridge - the A4 into Bristol - but the back door to the South is double bolted and incredibly difficult to break down.

In the last few years we've had the new swimming pool, the new college, the new hospital and in the same area also includes a small business park, then across the roundabout there is the shopping complex which has gradually grown larger

Housing developments there has been a massive development next to the imperial ground, also in the hengrove/Whithchurch area there has been large amounts of rebuilding of homes, there has also been mass rebuilding in Hartclifee area in recent years

It is happening however no doubt not in the same level as North Bristol, it's simple really there is better links to the m4/m5/m32 on that' side of town and in fairness more demand,

As for the ring road, I'm not sure where exactly you'd put it from hicks gate?

If you live in South Bristol and want to get to Motorway or North Bristol you have to drive through the centre of the City , if a ringroad was built it would mean less traffic flowing through the centre of the City.

I've been saying that for years. Half the problem with congestion in Bristol is because of having to go through the City because of no other viable route.

In the last few years we've had the new swimming pool, the new college, the new hospital and in the same area also includes a small business park, then across the roundabout there is the shopping complex which has gradually grown larger

Housing developments there has been a massive development next to the imperial ground, also in the hengrove/Whithchurch area there has been large amounts of rebuilding of homes, there has also been mass rebuilding in Hartclifee area in recent years

It is happening however no doubt not in the same level as North Bristol, it's simple really there is better links to the m4/m5/m32 on that' side of town and in fairness more demand,

As for the ring road, I'm not sure where exactly you'd put it from hicks gate?

I give you that but as you say not to the same level.

No . They don't want any traffic going past St Mary Redcliffe church.

The powers that be certainly did not want the flyover running past St Mary Redcliffe church. That flyover was an engineering marvel as far as I was concerned and it was only supposed to be a 'temporary' traffic flow improver during the 1960s. It should never have been demolished.

I've been saying that for years. Half the problem with congestion in Bristol is because of having to go through the City because of no other viable route.

Portway, M5?

There is a new link road being built (alleged) linking hicks gate up with i beleive the A370 down near yanleigh lane and Ashton. It will cut across the base of Dundry/higher parts of whitchurch and hartcliffe. I know there was a lot of stink kicked up about the plans because we attended the planning meeting, but with this in place then perhaps a quicker route to the portway and M5 or A4174 ring road onto the M32 being the alternative.

Born and bred and still living in whitchurch i have always felt that south Bristol has been overlooked but over the years development has come, symes avenue has been demolished and rebuilt on, over half the high rised flats have gone, the new sports complex, hospital and college have all been built and with the junction superstores you have to admit it is a whole let better than 20 years ago.

The only thing missing from our area is a Football stadium :whistle:

Portway, M5?

Its differcult getting to the Portway as there is no link road from the Bs13 area and you are stuck in traffic from Bishopworth Road , Hartcliffe way , Bediminster Down road , Wintertoke Road and then onto the Plimsol Bridge all traffic heading towards town . There is no link road between the A38 and A370 .

Also the Portway is no use if going Eastward.

The powers that be certainly did not want the flyover running past St Mary Redcliffe church. That flyover was an engineering marvel as far as I was concerned and it was only supposed to be a 'temporary' traffic flow improver during the 1960s. It should never have been demolished.

It was hideous!! I've always been disgusted by the way in which St Mary Redcliffe has been treated over the years. Place it in an area of greenery and more central or to the north and its a MAJOR tourist attraction - I've alway been bemused by why it's not one of the first things mentioned when people think of Bristol behind that is anything built by Brunel. I've always also wondered why Elizabeth I was quoted as saying it was the 'fairest and most godliest' church in all the land' but having been there a few times I can see why. It is however in need of some TLC in and around it.

What is it about the South of a City? Isn't this true of many other cities? London? Glasgow? There's even the north versus south debate that covers the whole country? Is there some story passed on from our history -maybe religious - that associates the north with wealth and prosperity and good health. Heaven and hell maybe!???

It's not Redcliffe Hill they want to close, It's Redcliffe Way, the road that runs along the front of it.

It's not Redcliffe Hill they want to close, It's Redcliffe Way, the road that runs along the front of it.

That is still the route from Bs3 and bs13 to the M32 . However they also wants to close Redcliffe Hill as well .

Archived