IGNORED

Group A - The Climax

Judge Roughneck

I believe we will get the semi's no problem. Will depend who we get then as to if we make the final :)

don't underestimate Ukraine at home.

If we go into it thinking a draw is good enough, we're screwed.

That was luck. I am shocking at predictions but it's ridiculous because I usually go for the obvious winners thinking i'll play it safe, yet I still always get it bang wrong.

Sod it..... Ukraine to win the Euro's.

:laugh: good call, we are through!

They went hell for leather in there first game.I told you that you dont win anything after the first game . Just accept that you are naive about tournement football, we don't mind :)

Teams like Spain and Germany play there way in to tournements. That's the difference.

Don't make excuses about 18 month seasons etc.

I expect most of the Russian team don't even play in the Russian league!

20 out of their 23 play in the Russian premier league.

I accept though, I was too quick to heap praise on Russia but meh.

The problem with Russia is that they lack character when the chips are down. Greece is a small nation but, despite all their problems, a proud one. Russia is too big. Their team spirit was appalling and the second half performance truly awful. It may seem a long time ago but I think it will take another generation before they overcome the horror of the Stalin era. 'The Gulag Archipelago' by Solzhenitzyn is recommended reading on this period.

Because it counts if the head to head was a draw. This is why England may regret getting another v Sweden...

I know that but Greece goal diff 0 Russia plus 2. Same points, so why not Russia, and just head to head results count. Doesn't encourage attacking footy and thought whole point of gd is to decide teams positions. This only happens in uefa and fifa competitions.

I know that but Greece goal diff 0 Russia plus 2. Same points, so why not Russia, and just head to head results count. Doesn't encourage attacking footy and thought whole point of gd is to decide teams positions. This only happens in uefa and fifa competitions.

+1

I think the head to heads will be 1 each so maybe it'll revert to goal difference/goals scored or perhaps they'll get the coin out !

maybe this will help clear it up

8.07 If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied, in the order given; to determine the rankings:

a) higher number of points obtained in the matches among the teams in question;

b) superior goal difference in the matches among the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);

c) higher number of goals scored in the matches among the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);

d) superior goal difference in all the group matches;

e) higher number of goals scored in all the group matches;

f) position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system (see Annex I, paragraph 1.2.2);

g) fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament);

h) drawing of lots.

8.08 If two teams which have the same number of points, the same number of goals scored and conceded play their last group match against each other and are still equal at the end of that match, the ranking of the two teams in question is determined by kicks from the penalty mark (Article 16), provided no other teams within the group have the same number of points on completion of all group matches. Should more than two teams have the same number of points, the criteria listed under paragraph 8.07 apply.

8.07 If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied, in the order given; to determine the rankings:

b) superior goal difference in the matches among the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);

c) higher number of goals scored in the matches among the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);

f) position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system (see Annex I, paragraph 1.2.2);

h) drawing of lots.

So once again uefa make things so complicated when simple goal difference would do.

h) drawing of lots.

8.08 If two teams which have the same number of points, the same number of goals scored and conceded play their last group match against each other and are still equal at the end of that match, the ranking of the two teams in question is determined by kicks from the penalty mark (Article 16), provided no other teams within the group have the same number of points on completion of all group matches. Should more than two teams have the same number of points, the criteria listed under paragraph 8.07 apply.

Got it. Based on the above if Denmark/Portugal both win, the Germans will be out !

Looks like a fix could be on the cards. A monumental nationwide gamble has gone on Spain/Croatia drawing their game 2-2. If this happens it doesn't matter if Italy win 10-0 against Ireland as they still wont go through due to the stupid rules FIFA have put in place.

It took me a while to work that one out, but I now see what your saying, bizarre!

I can't work it out - but all the papers today seem adamant that if Croatia and Spain draw 2-2 then Italy are out - they could win 10-0 and it wouldn't count.

You have to take away the games v Ireland by the other 3 teams and imagine its a 3 team

group.

If Spain Italy and Croatia finish level on points it will go on the goal difference those 3 teams have v each other.

Italy can't improve the GD because they play Ireland and will finish goals scored 2 conceded 2.

Spain and Croatia have the same,1 scored 1 conceded. Meaning a 2-2 draw would give both teams 3 for 3 against. Beating Italies by scoring more goals!

How fn complicated is that to explain :)

I can't work it out - but all the papers today seem adamant that if Croatia and Spain draw 2-2 then Italy are out - they could win 10-0 and it wouldn't count.

In essense, if that happens, a mini table is created between those three teams. The RoI scores get discounted.

All 3 will have drawn with each other. At the moment Italy has drawn with both 1-1.

Therefore, if the other game ends 2-2, they both go though as they will have both scored one more goal in that moni league.

h) drawing of lots.

As a complete aside, are not g and h entirely redundant, as the ranking I assume does not have teams in equal positions.

And how pants would that be - to go out because one team is simply ranked higher than you. Surely g) should come first, on the basis it at least has something to do with the tourney!

Looks like a fix could be on the cards. A monumental nationwide gamble has gone on Spain/Croatia drawing their game 2-2. If this happens it doesn't matter if Italy win 10-0 against Ireland as they still wont go through due to the stupid rules FIFA have put in place.

It's a UEFA competition, not FIFA.

Just because a load of cynical British gamblers have bet on a this doesn't mean it's bad rule. I think it's good. Makes it more exciting, witness Russia tonight. Goal difference is good in leagues, but this is a group where teams play each other once, The rule makes it more interesting, One goal completely changed the whole scenario. Goal difference would have guaranteed Russia qualification, but Greece knew they could qualify if they won.

Archived