IGNORED

What Would It Mean To You If England Won The Euro's?

Brizzle Jordan

Before anyone shoots me down, I know this is very unlikely given our record at major tournaments and recent performances.

However just out of interest what would it mean to you? Would it be your happiest moment in sport? or even happiest moment of your life? (I expect this will be for people who haven't had children yet)

For me if England lifted Euro 2012 it would without doubt be the happiest moment of my young life so far, and would tick off one of my dreams in life, the other 2 in sport are England to win the World Cup and Bristol City to get to the top flight or win a major trophy like the FA Cup.

So then... what would it mean to you?!

It is less unlikely than Greece or Denmark winning it. In short, we have a chance, like any of the 16 teams.

I am far from alone and in fact probably in the majority when I say this tournament is harder to win than the World Cup. The reasons being all fairly obvious.

If England won it I would phone my English friend in Brazil, who never fails with an opportunity to put England down and hope some other team wins, and gleefully tell him to sink his fat flabby ass in some cow shite and preferably remain there for a prolonged period.

There is no either or here... we can be greedy and hope England win it AND City have a season beyond all expectations.

Ashley Cole! Hart over Casilias... No

definitely Ashley Cole

If his name was Colodinio or Coldini and he was not English, his footballing ability would not come into question.

He has been a world class left back his whole career. yes his off field antics aint fantastic but no need to doubt his ability on the pitch.

Always played well for England, and he's won every club honour now he's got the champions league.

I am far from alone and in fact probably in the majority when I say this tournament is harder to win than the World Cup. The reasons being all fairly obvious.
How can this be true? I think what you mean is that there's a higher overall standard at a Euros. The world cup by having everyone entry is obviously the harder tournament to win. Because you have to beat everyone, not just one continent.Go look at the continental makeup of the last 16 teams at the last world cup if you're prepared to change your mind. If Europe was so superior, more than 6 of the best 13 would have gotten through.

Before anyone shoots me down, I know this is very unlikely given our record at major tournaments and recent performances.

However just out of interest what would it mean to you? Would it be your happiest moment in sport? or even happiest moment of your life? (I expect this will be for people who haven't had children yet)

For me if England lifted Euro 2012 it would without doubt be the happiest moment of my young life so far, and would tick off one of my dreams in life, the other 2 in sport are England to win the World Cup and Bristol City to get to the top flight or win a major trophy like the FA Cup.

So then... what would it mean to you?!

Agree with this 100%.

How can this be true? I think what you mean is that there's a higher overall standard at a Euros. The world cup by having everyone entry is obviously the harder tournament to win. Because you have to beat everyone, not just one continent.Go look at the continental makeup of the last 16 teams at the last world cup if you're prepared to change your mind. If Europe was so superior, more than 6 of the best 13 would have gotten through.

Since the world cup was expanded to 32 teams, the group stage is a bit of a mockery. You can probably pick 13 of the last 16 at the point of the draw as there are so few genuinely competitive african/asian/elsewhere teams. resultantly, the top sides aren't tested until the knockout stages which gives them 4 meaningful matches to win it.

The Euro's only have a couple of duff teams, meaning that the group stage is important too, therefore you have to perform for 7 games.

Now, the quality of teams in the latter stages of the world cup might be of a higher standard, but the euro's is a more intense competition.

Since the world cup was expanded to 32 teams, the group stage is a bit of a mockery. You can probably pick 13 of the last 16 at the point of the draw as there are so few genuinely competitive african/asian/elsewhere teams. resultantly, the top sides aren't tested until the knockout stages which gives them 4 meaningful matches to win it.

The Euro's only have a couple of duff teams, meaning that the group stage is important too, therefore you have to perform for 7 games.

Now, the quality of teams in the latter stages of the world cup might be of a higher standard, but the euro's is a more intense competition.

Probably could not have put it better myself although I would not entirely agree with your last sentence.

Also, by definition, I far more enjoy the Euros; virtually every game is contested as opposed to a prem team playing dag and red at the world cup.. which is also run by a brown paper money bags odious cretin

Algeria, USA and Slovenia..............

Very, very little.

It's hard to take pride in a national team so grossly overhyped, playing dour football, half full of players that are thoroughly dislikable people.

Mainly I would be concerned that it would re-enforce in the minds of the morons at the FA the idea that they're doing things right when in fact they're damaging the game's development massively.

bang on. I wish you weren't.

sorry to be pedantic but it's 6 games!

Nonsense. You're confusing getting out of the group stages with winning a competition. I think that can easily be mitigated by the qualifying being harder for the tournament.

Beating everyone is always harder than beating a selected group of everyone in the way a football tournament works.

3+1+1+1 = 7. Righto.

Algeria, USA and Slovenia..............

Sigh at picking out individual examples. We won one and drew twice and finished second in that group. If we were second to a duff team, does that make us a duff team? Then aren't we a duff team at the Euros? But oh wait doesn't that mean that all the teams at the Euros aren't top notch? And doesn't that mean the logic doesn't work

Yes, Yes it does.

Nonsense. You're confusing getting out of the group stages with winning a competition. I think that can easily be mitigated by the qualifying being harder for the tournament.

Beating everyone is always harder than beating a selected group of everyone in the way a football tournament works.

3+1+1+1 = 7. Righto.

Qualifying is exactly the same for european sides expected to win it. The number of european qualifying groups is the same for each tournament. Albeit europe has had 13 & 14 teams rather than 16 in the last 2 world cups. that cuts out the makeweights from the euros.

boo hoo i got my maths wrong, by 1. ok 6 tough games to win the euros, 4 to win the world cup, plus gimmes against trinidad & tobago and algeria, huhh huhh yeah. that better?

Oh this thread will bring out the anti England on this forum!

Some off you sadden me, this is your country ffs!! Don't matter who plays it's still England my country!! And winning the euros would be 2nd only to winning the world cup!

For you who are saying they are over paid, i expect half the city squad are over paid too!!

I'm half Scottish, quarter English and quarter Irish and as a result support none of them really. I do try and support England, but I don't want Englands greatest achievement since '66 to be lifted by bloody John Terry.

I consider myself British, rather than English.

I think it would be great for lots of reasons but inparticular bringing some community spirit back to this country, which is sadly lacking big time. Celebrations would be amazing!

Sadly not gonna happen unless we do a Greece and play extremely negative and have a lot of luck for a change.

Technically we are starting to look far behind other countries. We often struggle to keep the ball something which at international level is vital and has in the past and even more so in the future will prevent us from winning tournaments. Take Sneijder for example yesterday technically light years ahead of anything in this current England squad.

Sadly strength and 'being an athlete' is valued more in academies in this country than skill and technique, which I feel is one of the main problems.

The expectations much lower this time round which can only be a good thing. Roy can't win though, if we do win the euros then our lovely press will expect the world cup to follow and when we inevitably fail (we are not world beaters any more) them arse wipe papers like the sun will create some clever vegetable related comparison for Roy and the vicious circle continues....

We need a top 6 prem team to have at least 6-8 regular England players playing together every week, then we may stand a chance.

• Admin

The expectations much lower this time round which can only be a good thing. Roy can't win though, if we do win the euros then our lovely press will expect the world cup to follow and when we inevitably fail (we are not world beaters any more) them arse wipe papers like the sun will create some clever vegetable related comparison for Roy and the vicious circle continues....

We need a top 6 prem team to have at least 6-8 regular England players playing together every week, then we may stand a chance.

They don't need to think of a vegetable to compare him to, they have worked out that Roy has a speech impediment & have therefore ridiculed him for this. Because that's what we should do in this modern world, treat those that are different to us poorly. What's that? The Sun have reported of supposed racism problems in the host nations?

Archived