IGNORED

Spain V Italy Match Thread

II Wurzel II

I think the new look "attacking" Italy with be fun to watch. A team containing both Cassano and Balotelli could implode at any second. It will be a Spanish double as Rafa polishes off Djokovic in straight sets. Spain will beat Italy on the counter attack.

All things being even, Spain should win. No Puyol and no Villa though- that is two major holes in that side! Ramos therefore has to move inside to be centreback, again removes an attacking outlet from right full back. Can't really call it tbh and intrigued to see if Italy will indeed be bold enough to have a bit of a go at Spain- Pirlo is their version of Xavi for a start.

Italy aren't producing the world class defenders anymore like they used to.. the likes of Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Baresi and Bergomi are not being re-produced.

They however still have a very good team with the likes of Chiellini, De Rossi, Montolivo, Balotelli, Cassano, Giovinco and even Fabio Borini who was playing in the Championship not so long ago on loan at Swansea.

All things being even, Spain should win. No Puyol and no Villa though- that is two major holes in that side! Ramos therefore has to move inside to be centreback, again removes an attacking outlet from right full back. Can't really call it tbh and intrigued to see if Italy will indeed be bold enough to have a bit of a go at Spain- Pirlo is their version of Xavi for a start.

Their back four will most likely be Juanfran, Ramos, Pique, Alba which is very attacking in the full-back areas, if it is Arbeloa at right back however it will be defensive down the right hand side.

Italy aren't producing the world class defenders anymore like they used to.. the likes of Nesta, Cannavaro, Maldini, Baresi and Bergomi are not being re-produced.

They however still have a very good team with the likes of Chiellini, De Rossi, Montolivo, Balotelli, Cassano, Giovinco and even Fabio Borini who was playing in the Championship not so long ago on loan at Swansea.

To be fair, standard of defence in the world in general has declined I think- though Chiellini is very good. No Criscito and Bargzali (sp)- the latter a key member of Juve's unbeaten season, the former their best left back due to the matchfixing allegation is a blow. I've seen them once or twice, Prandelli is an attack minded coach and this may be their strength.

Yeah right, poor defenders. Let in just 2 goals in qualifying plus have the best keeper in the tournament.

Barzagli will be fit for the last game of the group I believe, and Criscito was dropped due to the match fixing allegations but you're right he is their best left-back.

I think they will field Balzaretti on the left, Maggio on the right with Chiellini and Ogbonna in the middle.

Ogbonni is a very good player.

Yeah right, poor defenders. Let in just 2 goals in qualifying plus have the best keeper in the tournament.

Buffon the best keeper in the tournament?

No chance. 1. Casillas, 2. Neuer, 3. Hart, 4. Buffon, 5. Lloris.

I never said their defence is poor but it is clear to see they aren't producing the defenders who get the reputation as the worlds best anymore.

I never said their defence is poor but it is clear to see they aren't producing the defenders who get the reputation as the worlds best anymore.

Just sit back and watch the game and we'll see. If anyone is looking to have a bet on this game then look no further than Coral's . They have Italy with a 2 goal head start at 30/100 to win the game. Easy beer money for tomorrow night if you have ton to spare that is !

Hart over Buffon this early in his career- really? Neuer's display in Schalke's loss to Man Utd was amazing but even so I'd say Buffon is right up there- perhaps only Casillas is better.

Hart over Buffon this early in his career- really? Neuer's display in Schalke's loss to Man Utd was amazing but even so I'd say Buffon is right up there- perhaps only Casillas is better.

Hart has proven he's a world class goalkeeper at only 25. Buffon is top notch but he's not quite up there with Hart, Neuer and Casillas imo.

Amazing, fab midfield but too narrow! That's the difference between Spain under Aragones and Del Bosque I'd say- they seem to be playing with the handbrake on a bit (by their standards) under the latter- if you look at the 08 side more wide play, not in terms of crosses so much but rapidly shifting the opposition about. This Spain team are great but not so exciting.

Archived