IGNORED

Never Mind Poland And The Ukraine...

Superjack

As much as I am a patriot and am delighted that England have made it to the finals of a major tournament and want them to do well like all of my fellow countrymen, I am yet again saddened by the fact that this occurrence has coincided with at least sixty percent of the male population taking to the streets of the City and behaving like rabid chimps that would be well served with a bullet between the eyes.

I am also yet again mortified that due to my profession I am a purveyor of the substances that enable this transformation...

Maybe instead of worrying about the animals among the supporters of the host nations, we should be getting our house in order on our own streets...

All the idiots who have to hand in their passports before England games go straight from the police station to the pub and get on the juice. Yesterday in Barnsley there were lads swaying about in the street at 12.30 in anticipation of the game, I actually doubt several of them will have made it to the watch the match. I'm all for having a few beers with the lads watching football, but then again I can hold my liquor

All the idiots who have to hand in their passports before England games go straight from the police station to the pub and get on the juice. Yesterday in Barnsley there were lads swaying about in the street at 12.30 in anticipation of the game, I actually doubt several of them will have made it to the watch the match. I'm all for having a few beers with the lads watching football, but then again I can hold my liquor

That reminds me of what I saw in the toilets at Wembley for our playoff match. After the match I decided to take a leak before making my way out. when I saw somebody obviously off their face with booze slumped against one of the urinals. Another bloke gave him a shake and he woke up to say

"uurgh...has the match started yet?"

That reminds me of what I saw in the toilets at Wembley for our playoff match. After the match I decided to take a leak before making my way out. when I saw somebody obviously off their face with booze slumped against one of the urinals. Another bloke gave him a shake and he woke up to say

"uurgh...has the match started yet?"

They were good friend's then !?!?!

As much as I am a patriot and am delighted that England have made it to the finals of a major tournament and want them to do well like all of my fellow countrymen, I am yet again saddened by the fact that this occurrence has coincided with at least sixty percent of the male population taking to the streets of the City and behaving like rabid chimps that would be well served with a bullet between the eyes.

I am also yet again mortified that due to my profession I am a purveyor of the substances that enable this transformation...

Maybe instead of worrying about the animals among the supporters of the host nations, we should be getting our house in order on our own streets...

What you describe is a much bigger societal issue rather than being football specific. A hot day, a bank holiday, a 'festival', any free event around the harbourside etc etc - any of these will be reason enough for large numbers of people to consume too much alcohol and make arses of themselves in public. We're too far down the road for positive change now imho.... things will only get worse i'm afraid.

What you describe is a much bigger societal issue rather than being football specific. A hot day, a bank holiday, a 'festival', any free event around the harbourside etc etc - any of these will be reason enough for large numbers of people to consume too much alcohol and make arses of themselves in public. We're too far down the road for positive change now imho.... things will only get worse i'm afraid.

Very much a Northern European problem.

I don't understand the mentality of going out to get drunk!

I am not saying I haven't got drunk, but it was never my intention to go out to specifically get drunk!

Something wrong with our society, when what constitutes fun is going out and getting shitfaced. And that is all you tend to here from people when asked, what constitutes a good night!

If it's helping to keep our struggling pubs going then it can't be all bad.

The problem is the younger generation don't view pubs like we did - we couldn't wait to look old enough to get served in them.

These days they drink at home and are well on the way before they even go out so we're getting probably worse alcohol related behaviour than ever while we see our glorious traditional pubs closed down all around us. :angry:

If it's helping to keep our struggling pubs going then it can't be all bad.

The problem is the younger generation don't view pubs like we did - we couldn't wait to look old enough to get served in them.

These days they drink at home and are well on the way before they even go out so we're getting probably worse alcohol related behaviour than ever while we see our glorious traditional pubs closed down all around us. :angry:

Not really surprising, I am sure when you were you, likewise for me, beer lager and cider was relatively cheap. Costs a small fortune now... So down the supermarket it is. Add to that the smoking ban, and that is a killer for pubs. I don't like smoking, and like it when I come home not stinking. But I can see how it has stuffed up many pubs.

Not really surprising, I am sure when you were you, likewise for me, beer lager and cider was relatively cheap. Costs a small fortune now... So down the supermarket it is. Add to that the smoking ban, and that is a killer for pubs. I don't like smoking, and like it when I come home not stinking. But I can see how it has stuffed up many pubs.

Good quality beer has never been cheap since I've been going down the pub - there was much more to a visit to the pub than getting hammered anyway.

It was a chance for a mingling of the generations, and those 3 old blokes by the fire smoking their pipes and chatting to the younger customers were part of what made them unique and special.

As for the smoking ban, they could and should have had smoking/non smoking bars.

Quite predictably all those rabid anti smoking fanatics who said they would fill smokeless pubs turned out to be liars.

It's nothing compared to what you older people have done to this country economically.

I'd shut my mouth if i were you, or us youngsters just might come after you demanding our futures back.

What have I done? Paid my taxes had my pensions cut worked harder and harder for less and less.

I suggest you shut your mouth young un, before us older ones decide to stay in work until we are 75 and leave you no jobs at all :)

What have I done? Paid my taxes had my pensions cut worked harder and harder for less and less.

I suggest you shut your mouth young un, before us older ones decide to stay in work until we are 75 and leave you no jobs at all :)

Yay to that, well said, though i dont think i would want to work until i was 75, 74 maybe :ill:

At least it's your decision to work until your 75, I doubt I'll have a choice!

Good quality beer has never been cheap since I've been going down the pub - there was much more to a visit to the pub than getting hammered anyway.

It was a chance for a mingling of the generations, and those 3 old blokes by the fire smoking their pipes and chatting to the younger customers were part of what made them unique and special.

As for the smoking ban, they could and should have had smoking/non smoking bars.

Quite predictably all those rabid anti smoking fanatics who said they would fill smokeless pubs turned out to be liars.

I've been only been a pub goer for around 16 years but good quality beer was cheaper was definitely cheaper when I started going, though I guess it's all relative to the cheap crap

As for the smoking ban, I was both a smoker and involved in the trade (through association) when it came in and it made little difference to takings in my experience- in fact it actually improved in some places. I was supportive of it then and I'm supportive of it now. It also caused a lot of pubs to invest in an outside area which became a further pull for custom. I'm sure that's not a universal truth but it's how I saw it

Archived