IGNORED

Jody Morris ?

Ryan_BCFC

He did score a nice goal against Czeck Rep though.

That Clarkson goal was a tidy finish! But have to agree with the majority, Clarkson never performed south of the border. And with the key example of 'Boro, who signed half of the SPL XI, were awful until they got rid of half of them (Kris Boyd). And then theres Kenny Miller, who was famed by many Scots as the best player in the SPL for years, moved away for what was it 500k? And failed. Moved to Baaardiff and I still don't rate him.

The majority of the SPL, except the average Championship sides (Rangers when they had cash, and Celtic), are decent league 1 clubs.

Couldn't believe that Jack Butland made the England team when he played in league 2, while Celtics number 1 (on loan from Newcastle) Fraser Forster didn't even get mentioned!

And this Jody Morris, yes he has a decent reputation/record, but he's 33 and on the tail-end of his career.

Lucky to get a full season out of him, we should be building for the future by buying prospects and signing players with 'experience' who are 31 max...

Hope he proves me wrong...

That Clarkson goal was a tidy finish! But have to agree with the majority, Clarkson never performed south of the border. And with the key example of 'Boro, who signed half of the SPL XI, were awful until they got rid of half of them (Kris Boyd). And then theres Kenny Miller, who was famed by many Scots as the best player in the SPL for years, moved away for what was it 500k? And failed. Moved to Baaardiff and I still don't rate him.

The majority of the SPL, except the average Championship sides (Rangers when they had cash, and Celtic), are decent league 1 clubs.

Couldn't believe that Jack Butland made the England team when he played in league 2, while Celtics number 1 (on loan from Newcastle) Fraser Forster didn't even get mentioned!

How did Miller fail exactly,he reached a cup final with Cardiff.And scored 12 goals the last time I checked.Also Miller creates and links up with others.He scored goals a Wolves to,in the championship and EPL.And scored goals in the champions league at Rangers and Celtic.And scored against good teams for Scotland such as Germany and Italy.Also Boyd banged in 12 to,for Boro and Forest.Cant see him going down as a miss hitter in your league to.He is in America making more money.

Clarkson never performed in the SPL :facepalm: He had one good season and took advantage of the Transfer Interest. Stephen Pearson done exactly the same but moved to Celtic, where he did absolutely nothing and barely played. Stephen McManus got selected so much for Celtic because he was local and got handed the Captains armband to appease the locals. Also to claim people said Kenny Miller was "The best player in the SPL for years" is laughable, I thought he was shite and the only reason he scored so much for the Old Firm was penalties and offsides that were never given. If you ever reach the Premier League you'll maybe get a glimpse of the bias the "bigger" teams get.

As for Morris I've watched almost every St Johnstone game he's played in, and he's a consummate professional. I've watched him in Scottish Cup Semi's against Rangers at Hampden in front of 50, 000 fans, and I've watched him in front of a couple of hundred in the Highlands during a storm with nothing to play for, and his performances were identical. Has a real will to win and his loyalty to McInnes is strong, if Del's in charge Jody will give his all. He had offers from Championship sides a few years back but stayed in Perth as he felt he owed the club a few more years. He can be frustrating at times but when he's not playing he's missed, can control possession and I've watched him control games against the Old Firm (as that seems to be a measurement of class for some) both Home and Away.

Gutted he's leaving us and I'd be surprised if there weren't another player heading down to Bristol from Perth. As for the wages he wasn't the highest paid player at our club, although he might have been if he stayed. Last season but Fran Sandaza and Peter Enckleman earned more, but both are leaving due to different reasons

Yes there is no excuse for lack off knowledge,other than if your just plain ignorant off our game up here.Clarkson has a poor goal scoring record in the SPL to.And the last time Sproule had a decent game was in 2007,when he came off the bench and destroyed Rangers.Both players are poor examples to give.And as for Foster,he has had good reports to from plenty off your fans.Also he never done anything,playing with better players at Rangers.The reason that you have him.Is he turned up no heather,at a big club.

We signed Sproule in 2007 and although he wasn't by any means a great player for us, I can assure you did have a few decent games while he was here. So don't pretend to be an expert on things you are clearly not. Basically all the Hibs fans said we were signing some kind of a world beater, but for us he was largely poor. Surely can see why this would lead to many fans being sceptical of the quality of the Scottish league. Look at the difference in Lee Miller's record while playing in Scotland compared to England for crying out loud!

CLARKSON 219 Motherwell starts 48 goals.What are you talking about,he was poor up here.And that is why none off our teams want him again even on loan.PEARSON,MCMANUS have also played up here.And none off you seem to doubt them.So did Fountaine,who got found out at Kilmarnock

What an absurd point. Liam Fontaine played three games for Kilmarnock as a 19 year old, for you to say he was 'found out' is laughable. Don't talk nonsense for the sake of it. You can't be surprised when you get laughed at by posters on this forum for making, what may actually be fair points on Scottish players we do not know much about, when you start saying things like that about Fontaine's time at Kilmarnock. How are we meant to believe that all the players you say 'would be stars in the Championship' after we have read you say 'Fontaine got found out'.

As for Pearson and McManus, they are (as I'm sure you don't need me to tell you) players who have played for Celtic and numerous times at international level. Well kind of, it is Scotland after all! This is a completely different pedigree to the players from such teams as Dunfermline, St Mirren and Partick Thistle that you try and tell us would either be 'stars of the championship' or in some cases too good for us! Sure some of these teams may unearth a gem from time to time that could play in the championship. But let's not lie that the majority of players for these clubs, and to be honest the bottom 6 in the SPL, are anywhere near good enough for the level we play at.

We signed Sproule in 2007 and although he wasn't by any means a great player for us, I can assure you did have a few decent games while he was here. So don't pretend to be an expert on things you are clearly not. Basically all the Hibs fans said we were signing some kind of a world beater, but for us he was largely poor. Surely can see why this would lead to many fans being sceptical of the quality of the Scottish league. Look at the difference in Lee Miller's record while playing in Scotland compared to England for crying out loud!

What an absurd point. Liam Fontaine played three games for Kilmarnock as a 19 year old, for you to say he was 'found out' is laughable. Don't talk nonsense for the sake of it. You can't be surprised when you get laughed at by posters on this forum for making, what may actually be fair points on Scottish players we do not know much about, when you start saying things like that about Fontaine's time at Kilmarnock. How are we meant to believe that all the players you say 'would be stars in the Championship' after we have read you say 'Fontaine got found out'.

As for Pearson and McManus, they are (as I'm sure you don't need me to tell you) players who have played for Celtic and numerous times at international level. Well kind of, it is Scotland after all! This is a completely different pedigree to the players from such teams as Dunfermline, St Mirren and Partick Thistle that you try and tell us would either be 'stars of the championship' or in some cases too good for us! Sure some of these teams may unearth a gem from time to time that could play in the championship. But let's not lie that the majority of players for these clubs, and to be honest the bottom 6 in the SPL, are anywhere near good enough for the level we play at.

Why are you picking on the first division teams?And St Mirren have more than one or two players good enough to play championship.SAMSON,McGregor,McLean,McGowan would stroll it.All better players than Simon Lappin who went up with Norwich.Who cares what age your player was.And he played twice as many games than you say.The fact remains is he got found out.Plenty off players at 19,have done so much better than him.Gary Kenneth would sort your defence out.Its a shame that he is going to Watford.Here is a list off first division players,tearing up your league.De Vries,FORSYTH,DOBBIE,CONWAY,COWIE,BAMBA,who would all walk in your team.And Mark Millar signed for Dundee Utd.He knocked back interest from English clubs,to play in the europa league.Good player at Falkirk,like Higginbottom who went on loan to Barnsley.Dissing the lower leagues off Scottish football is sad.When you probably have never even saw any off the teams play.

Very good question

Just a hypothetical question fellow forumites: would those of you who are happy with signing a 33 yr old midfielder from a mid-table SPL side on a freebie have been quite so content had he been signed not by Del and Doc but by Keith Millen? A lot of this 'In Del we trust' talk is well and good, but I genuinely believe that if Milly had pulled thus one out of the bag a year ago, he would have faced universal condemnation. Just a thought.........

The key difference is that 'Milly' was a buffoon and McInnes isn't. That's why people trust the latter.

Look how many midfielders stepped up to your so called better league last year.GOMIS,BAUBAN,BRYSON,CONWAY.All playing for better teams than Bristol City.So your posts lame just like the other doubters.

Just STOP IT. You can think what you want, but the Championship is (in general) a higher quality league than the SPL. Obviously there are players in the SPL that can make it down here; you have mentioned a few (though I wouldn't say Bauben or Gomis have been an unequivocal success) but there are just as many players up there who are in the SPL because they failed down south. Morris is one of them, that is a fact you can not argue with. He failed to get a contract with Bradford City. However, I feel he has talent and still has something to offer and while I may have been damning him with faint praise, it was still praise

Got it in one!

Absolute no mark , very, very average career, obnoxious lout doesn't come close.

This absolutely demonstrates the depth to which we've sunk.

Lucky to stay up, a manager who far from set the world alight &, Steve L, little more than dereliction of leadership on your part.

For those who've taken delight in rightfully winding up the scumbag King, what's your choice of tune now boys?

I didn't renew my season tickets to be assaulted by this insult. Steve L , for those of us who find this signing morally reprehensible can we get our money back? If I want to watch Xenophobia, thuggery, racism & misogyny each Saturday I can do so at Belmarsh & save myself a 240 mile round trip to boot. Chances are Morris once turned out for them.

The remnants of 'management' at Ashton Gate should hang their heads in shame.

(sent from a pub in Glasgow where, if you've ever doubted that Scottish football is little more than a glorified pub league tonight's reports of the Rangers fiasco & the way in which the SFA will prostitute themselves to such an extent that dignity is as prevalent as the Dodo, you might allay your doubts.)

An utter disgrace.

If you didn't bother with the trip i doubt you would be missed with a pathetic attitude like that.

Clarkson never performed in the SPL :facepalm: He had one good season and took advantage of the Transfer Interest. Stephen Pearson done exactly the same but moved to Celtic, where he did absolutely nothing and barely played. Stephen McManus got selected so much for Celtic because he was local and got handed the Captains armband to appease the locals. Also to claim people said Kenny Miller was "The best player in the SPL for years" is laughable, I thought he was shite and the only reason he scored so much for the Old Firm was penalties and offsides that were never given. If you ever reach the Premier League you'll maybe get a glimpse of the bias the "bigger" teams get.

As for Morris I've watched almost every St Johnstone game he's played in, and he's a consummate professional. I've watched him in Scottish Cup Semi's against Rangers at Hampden in front of 50, 000 fans, and I've watched him in front of a couple of hundred in the Highlands during a storm with nothing to play for, and his performances were identical. Has a real will to win and his loyalty to McInnes is strong, if Del's in charge Jody will give his all. He had offers from Championship sides a few years back but stayed in Perth as he felt he owed the club a few more years. He can be frustrating at times but when he's not playing he's missed, can control possession and I've watched him control games against the Old Firm (as that seems to be a measurement of class for some) both Home and Away.

Gutted he's leaving us and I'd be surprised if there weren't another player heading down to Bristol from Perth. As for the wages he wasn't the highest paid player at our club, although he might have been if he stayed. Last season but Fran Sandaza and Peter Enckleman earned more, but both are leaving due to different reasons

Hey you!! You can't come on this forum making sensible posts like that! I see it's your first so just a word of warning, if you don't buck your ideas up and start spouting poorly researched nonsense, it will be your last!!

There is a lot of chat on here about Morris being too old at 33, and us buying in a Dads army!

If you look at the squad as it stands, we have a pretty young one. Morris is only the second player in the squad 30 or over (Carey being the other one).

Given that, you have to say we probably need his experience and know how.

Alot of our key players are between 25 and 28 now....entering the prime of their careers.

It's amazing how many people on here know more than our manager.

Are all you know-it-alls working in football? You're not? Shame, football's loss I suppose.

Can't believe what i'm reading :facepalm:

It's quite simple really. This forum seems to have acquired a couple of very new members (step forward Phil 78 and BTRFTG) with rather strong views on our manager's latest signing.

I'm sure they are genuine City fans, with no hidden agenda whatsoever.

• Admin

There is a lot of chat on here about Morris being too old at 33, and us buying in a Dads army!

If you look at the squad as it stands, we have a pretty young one. Morris is only the second player in the squad 30 or over (Carey being the other one).

Alot of our key players are between 25 and 28 now....entering the prime of their careers.

You're ignoring the fact that Pearson is 29. This fact means he will inevitably be over 30 soon, in fact let's just say he already is, and sooner rather than later he will turn 31 & that is just another year closer to retirement. Why are we signing these has beens?

• Admin

It's quite simple really. This forum seems to have acquired a couple of very new members (step forward Phil 78 and BTRFTG) with rather strong views on our manager's latest signing.

I'm sure they are genuine City fans, with no hidden agenda whatsoever.

BTRFTG whilst posting rarely has been around on these forums for as long as I remember.

Exactly, the idea that we have a team of 'Private Frasier's' is a complete non starter. Rumoured by many on here that prefer to be negative, rather than stick to facts. Sad lives!

Okay, been watching for a fair while while this 'The Jock' folk post on here and finally feel I have to say something.

I've just spent the last 5 years living in Glasgow, having moved back to England in the last month. I watched and followed football up in Scotland fairly closely, with one of my friends being an avid Motherwell fan and other being big supporters and, most importantly, frequent if not constant attenders of games of the Old Firm. I watched Partick Thistle a fair few times, as well as attending a good number of SPL games alongside my friends. I also watched more than a little cup/league football on TV.

And I am sorry to say that, despite the odd good spot i.e. players and a good knowledge of Scottish players I'm not fully convinced he knows what he's talking about. Not being a 'troll' or a 'flamer' or whatever, just think a lot of this chat about who'd be good where is pretty pointless and ungrounded. I'd advise people to not bite!

We signed Sproule in 2007 and although he wasn't by any means a great player for us, I can assure you did have a few decent games while he was here. So don't pretend to be an expert on things you are clearly not. Basically all the Hibs fans said we were signing some kind of a world beater, but for us he was largely poor. Surely can see why this would lead to many fans being sceptical of the quality of the Scottish league.

To be fair, the Hibs fan I spoke to said he'd run about a lot but then not have a clue what to do with the ball - which was spot on.

He did enjoy a spurious popularity there as well as here for his surging runs and likeable character.

Miller ended the season with 15 goals.I wonder how many City players,scored more than 15 goals.

No he didn't.

Just read it on Wicki,so take it no City player hit 15 then?Even the mighty Stead,who cant do no wrong with your supporters.Slatting Miller was a bad idea.The guys still scoring at 33.And took his team to a major cup final.Where his team loses on penalties.What did your team do last year?Apart from being involved in a dog fight to stay up?I support Rangers he scored for us against Monaco,first time around.And I was there when he scored against the Germans and Italians.He has scored against better teams for us,than Peter Crouch has for England.

Just read it on Wicki,so take it no City player hit 15 then?Even the mighty Stead,who cant do no wrong with your supporters.Slatting Miller was a bad idea.The guys still scoring at 33.And took his team to a major cup final.Where his team loses on penalties.What did your team do last year?Apart from being involved in a dog fight to stay up?I support Rangers he scored for us against Monaco,first time around.And I was there when he scored against the Germans and Italians.He has scored against better teams for us,than Peter Crouch has for England.

I was merely informing you that Miller didn't score 15 goals last season. I never expected all that gibberish to follow !

I really don't understand you.

You posted a few weeks ago and said you were a Bristol City fan, yet you always speak as though you aren't.

Just like to say, the Npower Championship is better than the SPL. :)

I was merely informing you that Miller didn't score 15 goals last season. I never expected all that gibberish to follow !

If you go through, find the full stops, question marks and exclamation marks, Put your cursor after it, press the return button..... It's still a rant full of gibberish.

I swear the Jock said he was a Rangers and City fan! All he seem to do is attack City, it's players and city fans. The bloke has issues! Even bigger issues if Rangers get demoted to Div 3. The he will get a true idea how poor, most of the players are in the lower divisions are, first hand :)

If you go through, find the full stops, question marks and exclamation marks, Put your cursor after it, press the return button..... It's still a rant full of gibberish.

I swear the Jock said he was a Rangers and City fan! All he seem to do is attack City, it's players and city fans. The bloke has issues! Even bigger issues if Rangers get demoted to Div 3. The he will get a true idea how poor, most of the players are in the lower divisions are, first hand :)

How is explaining to somebody that they are wrong about Miller attacking City?Actually go look at his record,he has more goals for Scotland than Heskey has for England.And Heskey was your main man for years,till better players came along.Just accept that your wrong about Miller.The guy would walk into the City team.And is much better than Stead.Agree or disagree I really do not care.Miller record speaks for its self,especially for Celtic for Strachan.He scored against some big teams and important goals in the champions league.

Archived