IGNORED

Holland V Germany

Super

Some would say the country you are born in becomes your first and primary nationality.

So technically Klose and Podolski are Polish.

That's the arguement that people use against the english cricket team, picking people who have english parents but born abroad.

That's the arguement that people use against the english cricket team, picking people who have english parents but born abroad.

I think it's a fair argument.

Obviously you can have other nationalities in your family but if you are born in a country, surely that is your nationality?

May not be the nation you love or live in but in my opinion where you are born, is where you are from.

Obviously you can have other nationalities in your family but if you are born in a country, surely that is your nationality?

May not be the nation you love or live in but in my opinion where you are born, is where you are from.

There are always exceptions. A lad I work with was born in Germany as his Dad was in the army and stationed there. If you said he was German he'd take your head off !!!

I disagree.

You could have 2 English parents who e.g. go to Cardiff for the day. If you are born in Cardiff Hospital, however go home to your house in England the next day. Why should that make you Welsh? Doesn't work that way.

No, it is not your nationality in all cases. For instance, here in Cayman, a child born of British parents is not given Caymanian status, nor does he or she have any right of residence in Cayman, other than as a dependent. The child will be British, despite being born 4,500 miles away.

I disagree.

You could have 2 English parents who e.g. go to Cardiff for the day. If you are born in Cardiff Hospital, however go home to your house in England the next day. Why should that make you Welsh? Doesn't work that way.

I understand what you are saying, I think by heart you would feel English. You would support England, but isn't it a fact that you are still Welsh being born in Wales?

There's no rights or wrongs here, just personal opinions on the matter.

My problem is where I think its Strauss' situation, English parents move abroad to work for 8-10 years move back to England with Strauss at the age of 6, so he would have gone to school, started playing cricket etc all in England and would have spent the 6 years in South Africa simply having been born there purely because its where his parents were working at the time.

i was born in switzerland, moved to England when i was two years old. have no affinity to switzerland, my parents are not Swiss, and neither do I count myself as Swiss. Were I a footballer I would certainly pick England as my team, and not only because it'd be easier to break into the team. In the case of Podolski and Klose, they also found themselves moving at an early age, and clearly feel themselves to be assimilated Germans. And fair play to them, they clearly didn't pick Germany because it was easier to get into the side than, ahem, Poland. Clearly it is the country they find themselves bonded to. On the other side of the coin, i have no time for players with abstract connections to a country who suddenly turn their shoulders on the country that is in their blood and bones for the sake of an international cap. mercenaries, frankly.

I understand what you are saying, I think by heart you would feel English. You would support England, but isn't it a fact that you are still Welsh being born in Wales?

No.

Next time you are in another country, does that make you that nationality for the time you are there?

i was born in switzerland, moved to England when i was two years old. have no affinity to switzerland, my parents are not Swiss, and neither do I count myself as Swiss. Were I a footballer I would certainly pick England as my team, and not only because it'd be easier to break into the team. In the case of Podolski and Klose, they also found themselves moving at an early age, and clearly feel themselves to be assimilated Germans. And fair play to them, they clearly didn't pick Germany because it was easier to get into the side than, ahem, Poland. Clearly it is the country they find themselves bonded to. On the other side of the coin, i have no time for players with abstract connections to a country who suddenly turn their shoulders on the country that is in their blood and bones for the sake of an international cap. mercenaries, frankly.

Someone like Owen Hargreaves?

There are personal opinions. And there are nationality rules established in law.

No.

Next time you are in another country, does that make you that nationality for the time you are there?

Ofcourse not, however I think being 'born' somewhere makes you from that country. You came from that country, you left that country at birth to go anywhere else.

Anyway it's my opinion and I understand yours. I've had this debate with friends before and it always splits opinions.

Ofcourse not, however I think being 'born' somewhere makes you from that country. You came from that country, you left that country at birth to go anywhere else.

Anyway it's my opinion and I understand yours. I've had this debate with friends before and it always splits opinions.

But how about when you are in the womb. Does the baby not have a nationality then?

Nationality is like genetics. You get it from your parents.

If I was born in Africa I wouldn't be African cause I have nothing to do with culture or anything.

If I was born in Africa but stayed their for 10 years then I would be African as environment affects you as a person and I would of grown up with the culture.

Archived