IGNORED

Pathetic

Lew-T

Seen on SSN that Russia have been docked 6 points for the Euros because of their fans behaviour. Just seen a clip of Russian supporters beating up stewards! How pathetic is that? Hooligans have long gone in this country but beating up stewards? How cowardly is that! They should be severely punished.

Seen on SSN that Russia have been docked 6 points for the Euros because of their fans behaviour. Just seen a clip of Russian supporters beating up stewards! How pathetic is that? Hooligans have long gone in this country but beating up stewards? How cowardly is that! They should be severely punished.

6 points docked, but syuspened from the next qualifiers for Euro 2016. I guess if there is any more problems, they start the next qualifiers at -6

I have a feeling that they may regret choosing the Russian Federation as the hosts of the 2018 World Cup......

No they won't, they will have lined their pockets more than enough, the worry about violence will be far from theri minds! it will be the poor buggers getting peanuts, to control the crowds that will be worrying!

a suspended sentence of 6 points is a huge punishment. In almost every circumstance, any nation that qualify's for a finals would not have done with six less points. It essentially says, any more trouble in the next four years and you are barred from the tournament..it's a heavy sentence indeed.

As for Russia 2018. Yes, it's a different country and culture with it's own issues, but around 6-7 months before Euro 96 England fans were displaying far-right banners and throwing wooden chairs onto innocent fans at Lansdowne Road in Dublin.

In addition, while scrapping with stewards is wrong, context is important. No one died, yet in 1985 English hooligans led to the death of almost 50 people at Heysel.

Just saying, countries need to learn lessons at their own time. this is a good punishment from Uefa, and the 2018 World Cup is a change for Russia to change it's ways, the same that Euro 96 was for England.

In addition, while scrapping with stewards is wrong, context is important. No one died, yet in 1985 English hooligans led to the death of almost 50 people at Heysel.

I expect some of them were probably from North Wales, CBL. Everyone I've ever met from there is an LFC fan.

I also think crap Belgian stadium maintenance and policing should share equal blame for that tragedy.

Slightly inaccurate. Theyve been given a suspended sentence of 6 point deduction for their next Euro qualifying campaign...

Well it is, its two very different things. This Euros would knock them out obviously... and its suspended, they havent actually been docked anything yet

The point I am making is that the Russian fans have been beating up stewards? Not the docked points

Might be more to this story than meets the eye; usually the case. Might be anti-Putin protestors trying to make life difficult for him by embarrassing his country and with the intent of getting a dialogue going to have them thrown out of hosting the World Cup. Chance of that happening, sure, almost zero but will not stop the disenfranchised populace having a go and probably a lot easier to do so outside of their own country.

The 6 pt deduction is confirmed but is suspended and Russia are on probation.. i suppose, as others have mentioned, this means they could have it rescinded for good behaviour in the coming months and years. I have a feeling the only way that will happen is if Russia is able to stop its fans travelling altogether.

Might be more to this story than meets the eye; usually the case. Might be anti-Putin protestors trying to make life difficult for him by embarrassing his country and with the intent of getting a dialogue going to have them thrown out of hosting the World Cup. Chance of that happening, sure, almost zero but will not stop the disenfranchised populace having a go and probably a lot easier to do so outside of their own country.

The 6 pt deduction is confirmed but is suspended and Russia are on probation.. i suppose, as others have mentioned, this means they could have it rescinded for good behaviour in the coming months and years. I have a feeling the only way that will happen is if Russia is able to stop its fans travelling altogether.

It was not that long ago that this was exactly the situation football fans in Russia found themselves in..........as close as late 80's early 90's fans were still banned from travelling to away games......I have read stories of fans dressing up in their best suits and pretending they were attending a wedding so they could travel to an away game

About on a par with attacking a Leeds fan in the Dolman?

You have presumably seen the footage of the Juve fan with the pistol?

The Juventus fan and the pistol was after the event (ie, during the game) Italian fans at the time were as badly behaved as English fans, but that doesn't change the fact that English football fans involuntarily led to the deaths of 39 Italian fans.Again, England fans rioted in Dublin in 1995. In 1996, at the start of Euro '96, the IRA ripped a hole in Manchester city centre.My point is that many in Europe criticised giving England the championship, but Euro 96 did wonders for English football. Despite the threat of terrorism, hooliganism etc, the tournament was a success.Russia deserves the same chance in my opinion.As someone said earlier as well, while there is no excuse for beating up stewards, things tend to be shades of grey rather than black or white. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a political edge to it, or indeed some Pro-Polish/anti-Russian sentiment amongst the stewards..it doesn't justify it, but it might help explain it.Either way, 6 point suspended sentence..that is a harsh but fair sentence, it certainly isn't weak.

I'm glad UEFA weren't dishing out punishments like this back in the 80s/90s/early 2000s, as England would have hardly played in any tournaments, if so. Clearly what the Russian fans did was very bad, but surely it wasn't on the same mass scale as Marseille '98, Charleroi 2000 etc etc.

The thing is, what's happening in Ukraine/Poland right now was happening here in England 30 years ago! Times have changed and I think its quite obvious that eastern Europe haven't caught up.

As I've tried to say, they were happening in England only 15 years ago.Countries evolve at different paces and everywhere is different and cultural differences are important. Violence is never, ever right, but Russia is a tougher country where an iron fist is more respected and power is demonstrated in more, erm, direct terms. It doesn't make it right, but it's important to consider these things. Likewise, the whole *unacceptable word* thing in the Ukraine..absolutely shocking, but, for example, St Pauli fans in Germany, and many British people wave Che Guevara flags, or where retro 'CCCP' T-shirts. Well, the USSR shipped off and killed Ukrainians in huge numbers. It's just important to understand these things, because until the West does, it won't solve them.

The thing is, what's happening in Ukraine/Poland right now was happening here in England 30 years ago! Times have changed and I think its quite obvious that eastern Europe haven't caught up.

Different mentality, and who is to say we are right and they are wrong. Clearly in our minds we are 100% correct in the way we handle it. But i bet quite a large preportion of the UK harour racist feelings, evn if they don't manifest themselves in physical or even vocal terms. Does that make it right?

The only real difference is a certain proportion of Russians will show their feelings loudly and physically. Much like we still have a very small minority that do the same here.

At the end of the day, we can try and rid the world of racism all we like. But if you don't like something, you don't like something. It is how you go about not liking something that makes the difference.

I think i have to agree with CBL on this one, countries deserve their chance - what i don't agree with however is nations getting the world cup if they don't even play the sport i.e. Qatar.

I mean seriously, how the hell did they get it?!

some top FIFA officials are walking round with bulging arse pockets i suspect

. Well, the USSR shipped off and killed Ukrainians in huge numbers. It's just important to understand these things, because until the West does, it won't solve them.

But so did the Germans - which makes the sieg heiling thing even more brain-dead!

I think you're right to say that there is a mass hooligan culture among some fans in Eastern Europe that is a bit 70's style to the eyes of seasoned British observers. Hopefully, a robust response by Uefa will start to make the authorities in these countries address the issue, rather than sweep it under the carpet.

Archived