IGNORED

If Ashton Vale Is Scrapped....

BS3 GAS

If Ashton vale was to fall through and plans made to redevelop Ashton Gate would You be willing to Share Rovers UWE Stadium if that were built ( lots of ifs i know!)

Do you think it would effect your gates?

If not where elses would you prefer to share?

Gloucester RFC?

Cheltenham?

Swindon?

Yeovil?

If it does happen (which if you ask me is looking increasingly more likely with all the problems with av) then i think we would do one stand at a time as apposed to moving, which wouldnt be too bad as it would decrease our capacity to about 13000 while it was being done, which we could live with as its been around our average the last couple of seasons.

If Ashton vale was to fall through and plans made to redevelop Ashton Gate would You be willing to Share Rovers UWE Stadium if that were built ( lots of ifs i know!)

Gloucester RFC?

Cheltenham?

Swindon?

Yeovil?

Firstly I would love to know where you think the money re-develop AG will come from?.

and secondly should the finance become available, I suspect it'll be 1 stand at a time job.

Firstly I would love to know where you think the money re-develop AG will come from?.

and secondly should the finance become available, I suspect it'll be 1 stand at a time job.

Yes, that's what I thought, like Wolves have just done. No need to go elsewhere, just a restricted capacity for a while.

This is hypothetical because we will build the Ashton vale stadium but....

We couldn't share the uwe site they wouldn't want us, we were hardly forthcoming in our offer to share the gate when they wanted to redevelop the minimal patch. Therefore we either find another site in Bristol (avonmouth should be reconsidered) or replace the stands at the gate one at a time.

Gloucester RFC?

Cheltenham?

Swindon?

Yeovil?

I have a couple of spare acres and it can be built here

I'm pretty sure AV will happen eventually.

On the other hand though, if we were keen to go down the AG redevelopment route, things have improved on that front over recent years, which could make redevelopment viable. I understand we already own the Hirerite building and if rumours are correct that we've also bought the Braby site, almost everything is in place for us to turn the pitch 90 degrees, making the Dolman one of the end stands. If we centralised the pitch to the middle of the Dolman, that would give us more space to rebuild the Atyeo and East ends into much bigger stands, which could still be further from the nearby housing than they are now.

As a first stage of devopment, It may even be possible to build a new end stand opposite the Dolman and behind the Williams Stand, on the site of the Braby works while we are still using the pitch in its current format. Once the end stand was built, the Williams could be demolished and the pitch turned and then work could begin on each side stand in turn.

This would be a more expensive option, but the cost would be spread out, building, one stand at a time. The big problem is there would be no big windfall from Sainsbury's to help with the cost and the car parking issue would still be there.

The other big problem would be the Nimbys would then turn their attention on the increased traffic they will probably claim will make them prisoners in their own homes due to traffic fumes and not being able to cross the road. At the AV planning meetings they were advocating City staying at the Gate, rather than going to AV. You can bet your bottom dollar though, that if they really thought we were considering staying at the Gate after all, they'd change their tune mighty quickly.

I'd love us to stay at a properly redeveloped Gate, but in the end, AV offers a cheaper alternative, so SL will probably stick with that until there is no other option. If AV does fall through, let's hope SL hasn't had enough by then and just walks away. If not, he's sure to look at the options for AG again.

probably not big enough but temple meads could have been a shout

Admittedly there is that huge area where the old post office building is (hasn't that finally be earmarked for development though), but the amount of money that would be have to be spent on upgrading the roads in the area, Cattle Market etc would be huge and perhaps even impossible due to the rail bridges in the area. On the face of it, it makes sense especially for the away fans but the days of the "football special" train seem long gone and there will always be a large number of people who will still want to come by car or coach.

Probably the same place as the AV money, minus the Sainsburys deal. Isn't it something in the region of a 90 million spend. Where is that little lot coming from?

Probably the same place as the AV money, minus the Sainsburys deal. Isn't it something in the region of a 90 million spend. Where is that little lot coming from?

Coming from a source hoping/expecting to regain their investment from houses, hotel etc. which will never be an option at AG + with all of the height restrictions that will be imposed AG will always be a mish mash of a stadium.

I genuinely don't understand why renovating Ashton Gate isn't more of an option. With some relatively simple land acquisition, a large new main stand could be built that contains much of what Ashton Vale would promise anyway.

Plans were published for this option some years ago in a magazine for the fans called Gatepost.

With the corners filled in the New Williams and EE amounted to about 16,000 capacity on their own, and included excecutive boxes, conference hall etc.

Everything we need then really, except apparently a hotel.

No detail has ever been given as to how much extra revenue the football club could expect from a new stadium, but the feeling is SL wants to leave a legacy.

If that legacy turned out to be a redeveloped AG instead then many fans would be more than happy with that.

I genuinely don't understand why renovating Ashton Gate isn't more of an option. With some relatively simple land acquisition, a large new main stand could be built that contains much of what Ashton Vale would promise anyway.

You'd probably have local residents complaining about it being a larger capacity stadium with no plans of more parking spaces made available and busier roads....

The land around most of the ground isn't avaliable (large set of flats behind one stand), Industrial & Commercial warehouses other side.

Then there is also the funding - 50% of AV is funded by the additional housing, hotel etc that's being built on the same site.

Why did you move over the road when you could have done the same at Ninian Park? Simple, it's cheaper and easier..

£22m from Sainsburys, £20-30m from other developments on the AV site, plus SL's £40 odd million. £40m won't get you anywhere near as much as people think. A big new williams stand would be £25m easily. Lets not forget the NIMBYs could well fight the planning of that as well if we went down that route (same nonsense, noise, traffic, parking, otters)...

we've also bought the Braby site,

Nope.. and tell me what about Midas and Wickes.. we'd have to buy that land too.. we'd have blown £10m before we've started.

Archived