IGNORED

Student Prices

Robin101

Well why should young people these days have to pay 3x the previous amount others have to pay?

I wouldnt say 21 is young

Tony, I think you're being unfair. Like Jambo, I myself am in a similar position. In fact, my parents paid for my season ticket as I couldn't afford it.

You also say some of us have to work, believe it or not, we do actually work at university, and very hard too.

I'm also working about 30 hours a week at the local shop to save up money for university. On top of this (and I assume Jambo will be doing the same) I am trying to find a paid internship for next year which would take up the entire summer that I'd otherwise be "bumming around" so I think it's quite unfair to be making the statements you are in and in the way you are doing so.

Anyway, instead of moaning about whether university students work "hard" or not, back to the topic.

Quoting screech: "Maltshoveller says, he has had to give up his season ticket after 15 years, why do you believe students deserve more favourable terms than him? He'll be a fan for life, surely that's who the club should be bending over backwards for" . Whilst I agree the club should be doing more for fans like Maltshoveller, it doesn't mean the should just neglect the student audience.

What is stopping the club from making deals for university students, local schools and community projects AND people like Maltshoveller and die hard City fans? Nothing. I, and I believe Tins as well, am not suggesting that the club focuses solely on the student market but that it is one area that they can focus more on. Or at least more so that they have done before.

As for abusing the system, there's an easy way of preventing it. Every student at the university gets a student university identification card, use this card to buy the discount and there we go, the problem is sorted.

Fair play for working 30 hours a week during the summer, i didn't once say students dont work hard, if you really wanted you could buy a season ticket whilst saving for University, providing you dont go out drinking every weekend? Students who dont have a job and are at University studying for a mickey mouse degree like dancing or history, and expect to get discount off everything and massive loans that they will never repay, are the ones who annoy me!

Maltshoveller is a fan and can't afford to go, he hasn't got anybody offering him a season ticket to suit his budget. Students proved they weren't interested in going regularly enough when they had very favourable rates in the past, they have their own football teams who they will go back to supporting when they are back home, surely the club would be much better off looking at their database and offering current City fans who haven't renewed, a special one off deal to come and watch their team during their financial hardship, they have the club at heart and it would be a very nice gesture to long serving supporters who may have fallen on bad times.

The students wont be back, well, a handful at best may do, but you wont grow a fanbase that way. I would also suggest almost giving away hundreds of tickets to schools every week, surely the thrill of going to a live football game with all your mates is how many of our fans got started in the first place.

The club were doing special student season ticket rates and scrapped it because the take up was so poor, I understand money is tight for students and they will want to get out and watch a bit of cheap entertainment but, join the queue, as a father of two small kids, my money has to stretch the same as yours, and like Maltshoveller says, he has had to give up his season ticket after 15 years, why do you believe students deserve more favourable terms than him? He'll be a fan for life, surely that's who the club should be bending over backwards for.

So your looking for means tested ticket prices? I do think there should be as many schemes as possible to attract as many new fans as possible plus loyalty schemes to reward long term supporters. The question i was addressing was the one of getting the "large quantity?" of Bristol &Bath students interested in City and through the gates on match days. Other clubs seem to be doing it so why not us?

I'm a senior member of staff at a local University. I wrote to the club about eight years ago to suggest having some discussions about the way the club could promote itself to students through the local Universities, in the context of us having over 30% students with a home address within a 50 mile radius. I didn't receive a reply.

You start Uni at 18, which is young.

Fair play for working 30 hours a week during the summer, i didn't once say students dont work hard, if you really wanted you could buy a season ticket whilst saving for University, providing you dont go out drinking every weekend? Students who dont have a job and are at University studying for a mickey mouse degree like dancing or history, and expect to get discount off everything and massive loans that they will never repay, are the ones who annoy me!

People don't go to uni now for the sake of it because the fees are so high. Plus history is one of the most wanted degree's and is highly regarded by companies. So calling that a mickey mouse degree shows you know nothing. Students are going to to have massive loans and won't get much money each week. That is why they want discounts.

Try living on £50 a week for food, drink and then any other activities. A City ticket is £30 so only leaves £20 left to live on.

People don't go to uni now for the sake of it because the fees are so high. Plus history is one of the most wanted degree's and is highly regarded by companies. So calling that a mickey mouse degree shows you know nothing. Students are going to to have massive loans and won't get much money each week. That is why they want discounts.

Try living on £50 a week for food, drink and then any other activities. A City ticket is £30 so only leaves £20 left to live on.

A 16-21 year old student can get a season ticket for £20 per month.

You could add to that that the performing arts industry is the second biggest exporter, so Dance is hardly mickey mouse either.

Don't you mean Media Studies?

So your looking for means tested ticket prices? I do think there should be as many schemes as possible to attract as many new fans as possible plus loyalty schemes to reward long term supporters. The question i was addressing was the one of getting the "large quantity?" of Bristol &Bath students interested in City and through the gates on match days. Other clubs seem to be doing it so why not us?

Maybe they don't want to come, afterall, when the student season tickets were available at a 50% discount from an adult season ticket, the take up was very poor, and non students were more interested in lying to jump on board.

£250 a season ticket for championship football for adults in the EE, that is a bargain, see how many of your mates at Uni want to part with that first, perhaps if they flood through the door and demand outstrips supply the club may want to have a rethink, I don't think it's going to happen somehow.

No they are not at all. 90% of students will not pay back all of their loans, that is a fact.You will have to have a seriously well paid job to pay that back, it's the biggest urban myth going.

How do you think single parents cope on shit money, they have kids to feed as well as themselves, nobody said life would be easy and it's not a right to be able to do everything you want to do.

£250 in the East End? If you work for a week this summer on minimum wage it will pay for a season ticket, then you still have what..another 6 weeks to bum around, or maybe you could work hard full-time during the summer, and build up some funds to help pay for your Uni?

In order to pay for uni I work every sunday and full time in the summer with another 2 jobs, Catch 22 situation really, my course is over 30 hours a week usually between 8am to 6pm on weekdays so only times can get regular work is on weekends. I spent my gap year full time work saving for uni and paid for ST for the past season, just can't really jusify renewing mine when it costs the same as a month's rent and food. I know there are cheaper tickets than the Dolman but i've been going with the guys around where I sat for the last 10 years and don't know anyone in the East End otherwise I would.

No they are not at all. 90% of students will not pay back all of their loans, that is a fact.You will have to have a seriously well paid job to pay that back, it's the biggest urban myth going.

How do you think single parents cope on shit money, they have kids to feed as well as themselves, nobody said life would be easy and it's not a right to be able to do everything you want to do.

Not at all what? Yes 90% won't pay it back, but at least they are trying to better themselves at having a chance of getting a good job. You still leave with massive loans, that isn't a myth.

Students are trying to get a degree for a good job so they get good money. And currently don't have any or very little. The least city could do is give them discounted tickets. It is still some income.

Not at all what? Yes 90% won't pay it back, but at least they are trying to better themselves at having a chance of getting a good job. You still leave with massive loans, that isn't a myth.

Students are trying to get a degree for a good job so they get good money. And currently don't have any or very little. The least city could do is give them discounted tickets. It is still some income.

If the club did discount tickets for students while they are earning less than most , would they then be in their rights to charge them more when their earnings are higher than most ??

Fair play to people who want to go to uni but they know that they will have to make short term sacrfices and football is one of them. However as I have already pointed out , a 16-21 year old can get a season ticket in the East End for £20 per month.

If the club did discount tickets for students while they are earning less than most , would they then be in their rights to charge them more when their earnings are higher than most ??

Fair play to people who want to go to uni but they know that they will have to make short term sacrfices and football is one of them. However as I have already pointed out , a 16-21 year old can get a season ticket in the East End for £20 per month.

No because students are earning less and can be proven by a student card.

Tony, I think you're being unfair. Like Jambo, I myself am in a similar position. In fact, my parents paid for my season ticket as I couldn't afford it.

You also say some of us have to work, believe it or not, we do actually work at university, and very hard too.

I'm also working about 30 hours a week at the local shop to save up money for university. On top of this (and I assume Jambo will be doing the same) I am trying to find a paid internship for next year which would take up the entire summer that I'd otherwise be "bumming around" so I think it's quite unfair to be making the statements you are in and in the way you are doing so.

Anyway, instead of moaning about whether university students work "hard" or not, back to the topic.

Quoting screech: "Maltshoveller says, he has had to give up his season ticket after 15 years, why do you believe students deserve more favourable terms than him? He'll be a fan for life, surely that's who the club should be bending over backwards for" . Whilst I agree the club should be doing more for fans like Maltshoveller, it doesn't mean the should just neglect the student audience.

What is stopping the club from making deals for university students, local schools and community projects AND people like Maltshoveller and die hard City fans? Nothing. I, and I believe Tins as well, am not suggesting that the club focuses solely on the student market but that it is one area that they can focus more on. Or at least more so that they have done before.

As for abusing the system, there's an easy way of preventing it. Every student at the university gets a student university identification card, use this card to buy the discount and there we go, the problem is sorted.

That's one of the bonuses about doing a Pharmacy degree, some of the companies actually run full time work placements for 2-3 months over the summer so just a case of hoping to get one. But yeah completely agree that the club could do better across the board. All the best trying to get an internship too mate!

No because students are earning less and can be proven by a student card.

What about when they're earning more than the Average Joe? Should a doctor pay more than a van driver ?

As I've said , students know they wll have to make the odd sacrifice and they can still get a ST for £20 per month. Even most students should be able to afford that.

No they are not at all. 90% of students will not pay back all of their loans, that is a fact.

I'd be interested in the source of this 'fact'. Both my kids have gone through Uni and I am sure that they and all their friends will repay in full. Incidentally, you start repaying at slightly less than £16k - which is well below the average wage - and continue for 25 years.

What about when they're earning more than the Average Joe? Should a doctor pay more than a van driver ?

As I've said , students know they wll have to make the odd sacrifice and they can still get a ST for £20 per month. Even most students should be able to afford that.

Thats exactly what im doing. Even as a student, £20 a month for a ST is nothing when I would spend more than that on a night on the piss

I'd be interested in the source of this 'fact'. Both my kids have gone through Uni and I am sure that they and all their friends will repay in full. Incidentally, you start repaying at slightly less than £16k - which is well below the average wage - and continue for 25 years.

It is a fact with the new fees

To all the students out there

Ever heard of the saying

If you cant afford it go without??

The club is loosing 12million a year.

We should try and get as much money as possible, even if it is very little it will be something.

We don't sell out every match, so seats will be sold if students get cheaper tickets.

Again why should it be students

I agree. Why not the unemployed or 1 parent families? A lot of these people have not had a choice over the circumstance they find themselves in , students do though.

What's wrong with history? Drama and Art maybe, but History is hardly a "mickey mouse" subject mate.

http://www.moneysavi...on-fees-changes

Look at the table of repayments down at number 7.

Even when earning £30k a year, the annual repayment is a huge £810 a year, or £5.62 a week. You can earn up to £21k a year and not pay anything at all, ever.

Yes, but why does this mean that 90% won't pay their debts off? Anybody on National Average Salary, which I believe is £24,180 pa will pay and as salaries rise (graduates on average do better in the job market) contribution will rise significantly until the debt is cleared. There will be some who don't work or give up work that don't repay within 25 years but to suggest that number is 90% without any justification just looks like jealousy/resentment..

On the wider point on ticket pricing it is unfortunately true that we need to attract more support and it may be that students are one of those groups we could target. Last year I believe we average just over 16,000 at home (according to wiki), which means that we had an average of 3000 empty seats at every home game. At even only £10 each that's £30,000 every home game, or around £700,000 for the season. So yes, I would try and offer deductions for students as one part of the solution. I would also look at the way that prices jump from under 16 to under 21 - this hike catches people still at school, or on low pay (the higher rates of minimum wage don't kick in until 21, so i don't see why our ticket pricing couldn't follow a similar pattern). That been done, I would think about reducing the very large discounts available for senior citizens - a group I get ever nearer to joining. I pay £419 for my ticket in the Dolman and the affluent, retired man sat next to me pays £295. I don't want a reduction myself - unless you’re going to force it on me - and whilst I think some reduction for age is justified that amount seems OTT to me. Finally, perhaps someone could explain to me why an adult ticket in the EE is £100 less that in the Atyeo - there's no difference for under 21s or under 16s, so why the big difference for adults?

The one thing that all this does prove is that if you're the club then no matter what you do it won't be right - try to please everybody and someone won't like it!

Yes, but why does this mean that 90% won't pay their debts off? Anybody on National Average Salary, which I believe is £24,180 pa will pay and as salaries rise (graduates on average do better in the job market) contribution will rise significantly until the debt is cleared. There will be some who don't work or give up work that don't repay within 25 years but to suggest that number is 90% without any justification just looks like jealousy/resentment..

Ok I'll do the maths @£24180 a year for you, £9k a year x 3 for tuition fees = £27000 in loans, if student A gets a job with just your average salary as you say £24180, this equates to paying off 9% of just £3180 per year, because you pay nothing below £21000 earnings. This equates to £286.20 per year paying off, which would mean student A pays off just £8586 of a £27000 loan over 30 years.

If student A got a fantastic job and earned £30k and had the maximum £27000 loan fees, they would repay £24300 and they still wouldn't pay off all that they had borrowed over 30 years,

On the wider point on ticket pricing it is unfortunately true that we need to attract more support and it may be that students are one of those groups we could target. Last year I believe we average just over 16,000 at home (according to wiki), which means that we had an average of 3000 empty seats at every home game. At even only £10 each that's £30,000 every home game, or around £700,000 for the season. So yes, I would try and offer deductions for students as one part of the solution. I would also look at the way that prices jump from under 16 to under 21 - this hike catches people still at school, or on low pay (the higher rates of minimum wage don't kick in until 21, so i don't see why our ticket pricing couldn't follow a similar pattern). That been done, I would think about reducing the very large discounts available for senior citizens - a group I get ever nearer to joining. I pay £419 for my ticket in the Dolman and the affluent, retired man sat next to me pays £295. I don't want a reduction myself - unless you’re going to force it on me - and whilst I think some reduction for age is justified that amount seems OTT to me. Finally, perhaps someone could explain to me why an adult ticket in the EE is £100 less that in the Atyeo - there's no difference for under 21s or under 16s, so why the big difference for adults?

The one thing that all this does prove is that if you're the club then no matter what you do it won't be right - try to please everybody and someone won't like it!

I have bad news for you: fantastic jobs pay much, much more than £30,000. The repayment schedule is calculated to accelerate as a graduates career and earnings accelerate and eventaully clear the debt over a period as much as 25 years. Your 90% assertion is just plain wrong and you still have not justified is a 'fact'.

Archived