IGNORED

Who Is England's Best Player?

Fordy62

Went for a run this morning with a mate and came up with this question.

There's a clear favourite for me, followed by a not too distant second, though i would hardly call it close.

Now I'm not saying i like the chap, in fact I think he's a clown, but my vote goes to...

Ashley Cole.

Your thoughts?

Can't argue with that.

I think he has been first choice left back since he was 20, so around 11 years now.

Even when England play crap, he seems to have at worst a "decent" game.

Just cannot understand why anybody would cheat on Cheryl, he must be insane !

The best LB in the world !!

Shortlist of England's best players imo: Hart, Terry, Cole, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney

Really? Terry wouldn't have got 10 caps if he was born in France, Italy, Germany, Spain etc - typical England centre half

Not a Lampard fan either, gets the headlines enough for people to think he's a good player

As for Gerrard, biggest myth in English football - but I have to say he's impressed me thus far in the tournament

Ashley Cole, Rooney, Gerrard, Welbeck and Hart for me - capable and motivated. Carroll, Walcot, Oxlaide Chamberlin also impressing.

Disregarding Gerrard and Terry (on an age basis) - we've got the basis for a good world cup team - if we can sort out our erratic defence. Also the midfield - not convinced by Ashley Young. Everyone keeps on how much Millner works but I can't work out if he's worth it. Ditto Parker - can't see what he brings to the party.

Ashley Cole, Rooney, Gerrard, Welbeck and Hart for me - capable and motivated. Carroll, Walcot, Oxlaide Chamberlin also impressing.

Disregarding Gerrard and Terry (on an age basis) - we've got the basis for a good world cup team - if we can sort out our erratic defence. Also the midfield - not convinced by Ashley Young. Everyone keeps on how much Millner works but I can't work out if he's worth it. Ditto Parker - can't see what he brings to the party.

Agreed. I've never seen someone so highly rated look so uncomfortable when running with the ball.

Parker is the most overrated player in the squad. Yes he runs around a lot, but he works far harder than he needs to - because he's ALWAYS out of position. He is half the player Carrick is in my opinion.

In height maybe but Parker is much better technically than he is given credit for, he does the simple stuff and with this England team has to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. I would probably have Wilshere over him when he gets fit though.

Parker is the most overrated player in the squad. Yes he runs around a lot, but he works far harder than he needs to - because he's ALWAYS out of position. He is half the player Carrick is in my opinion.

Still carrying his injury. He was more or less static for the France game, I've seen subbuteo players with more off-the-ball motion, but he turned on the class when we started to get back into the game against Sweden.

Went for a run this morning with a mate and came up with this question.

There's a clear favourite for me, followed by a not too distant second, though i would hardly call it close.

Now I'm not saying i like the chap, in fact I think he's a clown, but my vote goes to...

Ashley Cole.

Your thoughts?

I'd have thought Ashley Cole on his performances for England. In theory it should be Rooney with all his natural talent but he's never reached the heights for England as he has with ManU. Gerrard is fantastic for Liverpool, but again doesn't produce often for England.

Behind them you'd say that Hart, Welbeck, Oxlade-Chamberlain and Walcott are all potentially good.

Actually, whisper it quietly, the team that's likely to start tonight is potentially very good - and possibly mistakenly underrated by almost everybody. We could yet shock a few.

Cole by a mile.

Always consistent for club and country. breaks an English record for appearances in Euro competition tonight too.

I think Rodwell and Wilshire will be amongst the best in the world in a few years time, if only they could sort their injuries out.

We need young players to play abroad to understand different footballing cultures.

The whole england squad currently, (and have always) play/played for an English team. No Beckham or Hargreaves this year.

Archived