IGNORED

Who Is England's Best Player?

Fordy62

Cole by a mile.

Always consistent for club and country. breaks an English record for appearances in Euro competition tonight too.

I think Rodwell and Wilshire will be amongst the best in the world in a few years time, if only they could sort their injuries out.

We need young players to play abroad to understand different footballing cultures.

The whole england squad currently, (and have always) play/played for an English team. No Beckham or Hargreaves this year.

Too much Football Manager. Rodwell has never lived up to all the hype about him. The word potential is always associated with him but he's not progressing much at all.

Really? Terry wouldn't have got 10 caps if he was born in France, Italy, Germany, Spain etc - typical England centre half

Not a Lampard fan either, gets the headlines enough for people to think he's a good player

As for Gerrard, biggest myth in English football - but I have to say he's impressed me thus far in the tournament

Complete wibble. If he'd been born in one of those countries he'd have been coached differently, and would have played a different kind of game. You won't find a more 2 footed centre half or a centre half who is better in the air.

Gerrard or Cole.

Defo not rooney... carroll would have scored that easily

Yeah maybe so... Because he's half a foot taller. The best English player playing at the present time isn't even in the squad. Little ginger lad plays for United. Young is a consistent performer for England although he's had two poor games prior to tonight. I thought he was a lot better to be fair. Rooney has only performed in one tournament back in 2004 but in fairness to him that's the only time he's been 100% fit. Gerrard has is moments but like the others is inconsistent at this level and doesn't reproduce his club form on this stage.

Cole probably gets me vote.. I remember him getting the better of CR7 many a time in previous tournaments.

Complete wibble. If he'd been born in one of those countries he'd have been coached differently, and would have played a different kind of game. You won't find a more 2 footed centre half or a centre half who is better in the air.

Where was he for Swedens goals?

Cole by a mile.

Always consistent for club and country. breaks an English record for appearances in Euro competition tonight too.

I think Rodwell and Wilshire will be amongst the best in the world in a few years time, if only they could sort their injuries out.

We need young players to play abroad to understand different footballing cultures.

The whole england squad currently, (and have always) play/played for an English team. No Beckham or Hargreaves this year.

Totally agree with all this - well said

Cole was totally incapable of dealing with Yarmolenko last night. A player earning a fraction of what he does.

Cole's inability to cope meant Ashley Young had to drop miles too deep to be effective offensively. He was IMO England's third best defender last night.

Anyone still going to call him "the World's best left back"?

Just because he had an average game, doesn't make him awful. He is England's only world class player.

Everyone saying Steve Gerard is world class now is a bit ott. In the formation England are playing he has the freedom to do the simple things now. He has 3 assists this tournament, 1 set piece (should be more amount we get, also before that goal he got lucky for had to retake it for pushing in box, original ball went straight out for goal kick). Hopeful punt to Carroll and double deflected cross to Rooney.

He's playing well due to Parker sitting back and covering him, if his set pieces were up to be beckham standard fair enough but there not, still has a lot to do to be world class.

Think of all midfielders in tournament and are there 2 better than him? If not then world class but can think of at least 5 who are better.

Just because he had an average game, doesn't make him awful. He is England's only world class player.

My arguement would be he has been a very good player - not world class, but certainly the best English defender of his generation - but you are only as good as your current form. And on current form, he's dreadful.

Went for a run this morning with a mate and came up with this question.

There's a clear favourite for me, followed by a not too distant second, though i would hardly call it close.

Now I'm not saying i like the chap, in fact I think he's a clown, but my vote goes to...

Ashley Cole.

Your thoughts?

By a country mile! Would be a toss up between him and Lahm for best in the world IMO

Parker is by no means the most talented player in the squad but you can't deny he's an absolute warrior who wears the shirt with real pride something lacking in days gone by

Literally chucked his body in the way last night - head first, exactly what we have been missing!

This tournament Gerrard has been our best player ahead of Joe Hart.

Cole has been very good but may be on the slide on the evidence of this tournament.

Rooney can be world class but also seems to have games where he can't seem to control the ball. On form he is a wonderful player as demonstrated for United - just need to get that out of him in the next game.

Archived