IGNORED

Club Restructuring And What It Means To Us Fans

Sargent Pepper

I have heard a rumour that due to the club making several non football staff redundant and the restructuring that will follow, the club will be closing down the Reception, ticketing and media departments. I understand some have been offered the chance to apply for other jobs in the business but i wonder if that is just compling with employment law for the sake of it?

Apart from the very sad news that people will lose their jobs (some of them have served the club well over a number of years) it's gonna have a big impact on us as fans and imo the profesionallism as seen by others.

How can a sports club opperate without these key departments?

RECEPTION: Probably will result in more expensive automated phone menus, but what about people arriving at the club in person. "Hang about the carpark and someone will meet you" doesnt give the impression of proffesionalism in my book.

TICKETING: Okay, some on here dont have a good word to say about them sometimes (although ive always found them helpfull) but whats gonna happen now? Online tickets only? Selling through the club shop? They do their best, but the shop is not built for selling tickets at the best of times let alone big cup ties or Wembley. What about collections? Re-direct them to reception? Oh wait, cant do that.

MEDIA: For me the one department that has performed consistantly well over the last few years is now being cut back which will undoubtedly mean less content on the website,player,programes etc. This one area that i was hoping for further expansion.

There has been a lot of new people brought into the business recently, many on big saleries. It seems to me there are several people doing jobs that used to be done by one person and all earning a pretty penny from it, i wonder how many of them are actually having a positive influence on the business? Of course the stadium hold up is behind this (not only are the NIMBYS costing people potential jobs but now forcing people into unemployment), but when you see the money that is wasted in and around the stadium on match days alone you wonder if costs could be cut elsewhere? I hope Mr Guy Price is not just focusing on one side of the business and neglegting the side which day to day us fans rely on.

I have heard a rumour that due to the club making several non football staff redundant and the restructuring that will follow, the club will be closing down the Reception, ticketing and media departments. I understand some have been offered the chance to apply for other jobs in the business but i wonder if that is just compling with employment law for the sake of it?

Apart from the very sad news that people will lose their jobs (some of them have served the club well over a number of years) it's gonna have a big impact on us as fans and imo the profesionallism as seen by others.

How can a sports club opperate without these key departments?

RECEPTION: Probably will result in more expensive automated phone menus, but what about people arriving at the club in person. "Hang about the carpark and someone will meet you" doesnt give the impression of proffesionalism in my book.

TICKETING: Okay, some on here dont have a good word to say about them sometimes (although ive always found them helpfull) but whats gonna happen now? Online tickets only? Selling through the club shop? They do their best, but the shop is not built for selling tickets at the best of times let alone big cup ties or Wembley. What about collections? Re-direct them to reception? Oh wait, cant do that.

MEDIA: For me the one department that has performed consistantly well over the last few years is now being cut back which will undoubtedly mean less content on the website,player,programes etc. This one area that i was hoping for further expansion.

There has been a lot of new people brought into the business recently, many on big saleries. It seems to me there are several people doing jobs that used to be done by one person and all earning a pretty penny from it, i wonder how many of them are actually having a positive influence on the business? Of course the stadium hold up is behind this (not only are the NIMBYS costing people potential jobs but now forcing people into unemployment), but when you see the money that is wasted in and around the stadium on match days alone you wonder if costs could be cut elsewhere? I hope Mr Guy Price is not just focusing on one side of the business and neglegting the side which day to day us fans rely on.

Wow ! tell it as it is fella, now take a breath, good post,now aim to build a fence

In an interview with Tim Kirk on the os the other day, he said that the new Academy changes will involve increasing the full time staff of the Academy from 6 to around 20.

Guess that is why some of the redundancies were necessary, rather than FPP?

The way Jimmer has been tweeting, think he's one of them in danger, which is a shame, it's he who makes the programme what it is - an award winner.

Adam is a life time city fan and does a magnificent job, hope he sticks around.

Fingers crossed on that one, and to all concerned

The club won't be closing down media or ticketing. How on earth could that happen?

Not sure about reception but I think that's unlikely too.

It'll be a case of having less people spread a bit more thinly is all. As long as the bits they do less of aren't important it should be fine.

Losing a receptionist or two would be the equivalent to a piss in the ocean in the grand scheme of things financially.

This cost cutting exercise is very odd considering we were to offer Maynard an unbelievable amount to stay. So why have the club now done a U turn on the finances 6 months on?

Losing a receptionist or two would be the equivalent to a piss in the ocean in the grand scheme of things financially.

This cost cutting exercise is very odd considering we were to offer Maynard an unbelievable amount to stay. So why have the club now done a U turn on the finances 6 months on?

The two are unrelated. The football budget is separate to the stadium company budget. If the posts made redundant aren't contributing to revenue coming in then tightening up there makes sense.

Plus, Maynard would have had a transfer value if he'd signed potentially offsetting the wage spend.

Wow, really hope this isn't true. The media team do a great job and it would be very sad if this is affected.

We need to develop as a club not go backwards.

If we are looking to cut in these areas its shocking, as the sarge rightly says there are consultants who should go first!

• SC&T Board Members

FFP and a sober realisation that things simply can't go on as they were, I guess.

Although each saving in itself may be small, they all add up. Having in a previous life had to slash costs at a company where they had got out of control, I know it is the only way to do it. You look at every single area and cut out whatever you can - even if each cut only contributes a small saving. By the time you've added them all up, your bottom line looks a lot more healthy.

£12m losses and more a year were simply not sustainable ... unless you want to end up (again) like Rangers or, perhaps worse still, like Cardiff City.

I'd sooner support a solvent Bristol City owned by a Bristolian but perhaps playing in a lower league than a club that has sold its soul to some unknown foreign investor with dubious intentions merely to 'live the dream' of trying to get into Premier League, which in turn sold out to the filthy lucre many years ago.

Integrity and self-sufficiency are important virtues.

The club won't be closing down media or ticketing. How on earth could that happen?

Not sure about reception but I think that's unlikely too.

It'll be a case of having less people spread a bit more thinly is all. As long as the bits they do less of aren't important it should be fine.

Reception is definately closing, with the loss of the jobshare position.

What else should be considered is the fact that season tickets also go with these positions as part of the salary. In one case of an employee, that season ticket is used and two juveniles also attend with the holder. So it's highly likely that they will now not attend, leaving a loss of extra ticket revenue, loss of potential future support, loss of matchday food and drink sales and a loss of goodwill. I don't know about other positions having a similar effect,

This is bad news , not least for the people losing their jobs. It makes a mockery of all those moaning about the advertising on the EE netting , and proves that we do need every source of income , no matter how small.

It makes a mockery of all those moaning about the advertising on the EE netting , and proves that we do need every source of income , no matter how small.

Fans were trying to get more in the stand with their efforts not keep them out which wold create income. fans effort put people in what was an empty space.

I'm not saying there wont be any news today, but people need to be patient as I believe there are meetings going on as we speak which will decide who loses their jobs at AG.

If its true that the media dept is one to be culled a lack of news could become the norm

Jeez, where are the EP going to get their stories copy and pasted from then?

We will be the only one out of 92 league clubs without a ticket office.

Forward thinking?, ahead of the curve? not for me.

Also other things that really got my back up but i can`t mention them on here. Not good any of this, not good at all.

We will be the only one out of 92 league clubs without a ticket office.

Forward thinking?, ahead of the curve? not for me.

Also other things that really got my back up but i can`t mention them on here. Not good any of this, not good at all.

Are they shutting the Wendy House?

My take on all of this is that the club are going to outsource all of the work that they consider non essential, and cover essential work by other means.

For instance how many people visit Ashton Gate on a non match day and head to the reception?

This can probably be covered by the shop (when open).

Likewise ticketing can be looked after by a third party company and the ticket office staffed only at essential times, on match days or during peak demand such as a cup final (I wish).

It's bound to mean savings on salary and overheads (pensions ,N.I. etc)

None of this is new, it has been used for a very long time by many companies to save money and reduce the need for HR, accounts depts etc.

It is no difference to the outsourcing of the food and drink outlets on match days is it?

My take on all of this is that the club are going to outsource all of the work that they consider non essential, and cover essential work by other means.

For instance how many people visit Ashton Gate on a non match day and head to the reception?

This can probably be covered by the shop (when open).

Likewise ticketing can be looked after by a third party company and the ticket office staffed only at essential times, on match days or during peak demand such as a cup final (I wish).

It's bound to mean savings on salary and overheads (pensions ,N.I. etc)

None of this is new, it has been used for a very long time by many companies to save money and reduce the need for HR, accounts depts etc.

It is no difference to the outsourcing of the food and drink outlets on match days is it?

Spoken like an accountants calculator.

The savings to the club is like a piss in the ocean, you lose human beings at the club and you get a robotic sales team dictating to the fans (customers).

Archived