IGNORED

Steven Gerrard In The Team Of The Tournament.

Craven arms

Not now he wouldn't.

Implying hes not a better player than he was 5 yrs ago? He is better. Suffered serious back problems in early career, think he is over it now, early 30's still? Still got a serious engine and a pass as good as anything La Liga has to offer. Would be a great signing for Madrid

"Stevie Me"

Are you alright?.. :bored:

Yeah I'm fine mate... I'm talking about the guy who as England captain wants to rule himself out of friendlies and only play in the important games for his country...Top example that. However Modric for example ran the game against one of the best midfields of all time and when Stevie 'one long pass in five finds a man' Gerrard played against higher grade opposition in Italy, he was totally outclassed by Pirlo and de Rossi and didn't get a sniff..He was shocking in that game and offered England nothing.

He was at his best when he played Alongside Alonso a few years back and has declined as a player ever since he left Merseyside for Madrid.

Good Premierleague player but the international scene has never suited his style.

Ps..for the record Opta didn't include his 'assist' against the Ukraine due to the two lucky deflections along the way.

Think how good he would look in the Spanish side. Would score for fun if played in an advanced role. The problem is the players around him for England are dreadful and the side plays 4-4-2, which immediately means the midfield get over run. It takes 2 people to complete a pass. Who the hell was he supposed to give the ball to? Fatty Rooney who was slow, ponderous and easy to mark. Trampoline foot Young who couldn't trap a bag of sand in this tournament and gave the ball away far too much. Milner who only seems to enjoy running around at one pace marking people, or Scott parker who may as well be Parker from Thunderbirds for what he offers on the ball.

A serious rethink is needed on what type of player is selected for england and also the tactics we use (has to be 3 in central midfield for me)...

3 assists, yeah. Might even have been the only 3 passes he completed though?

I don't think he was anything to write home about to be honest, especially considering how overrun we looked in midfield much of the time.

As for destroying the Spanish league? He wouldn't even touch the ball.

Agreed, overrated totally internationally just like Rooney, in the Italy game was shagged out by half time and did nothing, it was typical of Gerrard's international career, ok against the French (an average side) good against Sweden and Ukraine (2 poor sides) and poor against Italy a good side.

Ozil was tipped as the one to watch in the German team. I watched him. He wasn't very good.

Don't watch him, he will watch you back, and those eyes are scary! Bug eyed reptile, I think David Ike may have a point!

Think how good he would look in the Spanish side. Would score for fun if played in an advanced role. The problem is the players around him for England are dreadful and the side plays 4-4-2, which immediately means the midfield get over run. It takes 2 people to complete a pass. Who the hell was he supposed to give the ball to? Fatty Rooney who was slow, ponderous and easy to mark. Trampoline foot Young who couldn't trap a bag of sand in this tournament and gave the ball away far too much. Milner who only seems to enjoy running around at one pace marking people, or Scott parker who may as well be Parker from Thunderbirds for what he offers on the ball.

A serious rethink is needed on what type of player is selected for england and also the tactics we use (has to be 3 in central midfield for me)...

He wouldn't get near the Spanish side, they keep the ball........,,

A token gesture I'm afraid. One of the main culprits for losing the ball. If you look at what Parker and Gerrard were there to do, I'd argue Parker was more affective.

At what? Being caught out of position and having to make a last ditch attempt at a block? Parker is a very average player.

At what? Being caught out of position and having to make a last ditch attempt at a block? Parker is a very average player.

I thought Parker defended well and blocked everything he could after our so called attacking players kept losing the ball.

It's getting a bit boring watching an England midfield with Gerrard putting his head down and charging forward into a group of players and losing the ball like a brainless idiot. His style might be successful in front of the Kop but it's no good for England, we've seen this time and time again. If we are to improve, he's definately one of the ones that has to step aside.

I thought Parker defended well and blocked everything he could after our so called attacking players kept losing the ball.

It's getting a bit boring watching an England midfield with Gerrard putting his head down and charging forward into a group of players and losing the ball like a brainless idiot. His style might be successful in front of the Kop but it's no good for England, we've seen this time and time again. If we are to improve, he's definately one of the ones that has to step aside.

I couldn't agree more with what you say.

And you think with Parker who can't pass a ball ten yards we will improve?!

Not necessarily, but Parker wasn't in the team to be the great creative midfielder and I thought he was the more affective of the two at their respective jobs.

I'm afraid as long as we've got holes in our backsides, we won't be winning anything with Gerrard in the side. The old guard, or anyone who can't hold on to the ball shouldn't be wearing England shirts any more.

We need more players who are willing to pass it ten yards, we will improve that way.

The best teams do that, rather than 50 yard balls that 9 times out of 10 get cut out or don't find there target.

Spain are full of players who are more than happy to pass the ball ten yards then move to get it back.

It was a pleasure to see an England player ( Parker) play the simple pass. Just a shame he was probably the only one.

Not necessarily, but Parker wasn't in the team to be the great creative midfielder and I thought he was the more affective of the two at their respective jobs.

I'm afraid as long as we've got holes in our backsides, we won't be winning anything with Gerrard in the side. The old guard, or anyone who can't hold on to the ball shouldn't be wearing England shirts any more.

Anyone who can't hold onto the ball?? That is everyone bar Hart then.

I think we are singing from the same hymn book fella :)

We need more players who are willing to pass it ten yards, we will improve that way.

The best teams do that, rather than 50 yard balls that 9 times out of 10 get cut out or don't find there target.

Spain are full of players who are more than happy to pass the ball ten yards then move to get it back.

It was a pleasure to see an England player ( Parker) play the simple pass. Just a shame he was probably the only one.

We will agree to disagree. IMO Parker is a dreadfully limited player who couldn't even play the simple pass

Anyone who can't hold onto the ball?? That is everyone bar Hart then.

You may well have hit the nail on the head. It'll take a generation to teach the kids how to play and use their brains when they play football. I think brainpower is the english players greatest shortcoming.

Teach them well and let them lead the way!

Archived