IGNORED

Ashton Gate Station To Be Brought Back Into Operation

Barrs Court Red

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/1billion-jackpot-fund-long-awaited-Bristol-Metro/story-16481396-detail/story.html

Part of the Bristol Metro scheme has Ashton Gate as a station, which will make traveling to matches far easier for many.

Not sure what the time frame is, but I fully expect to be travelling by train in time for the 2072/73 season.....after getting a rocket from Mars into Bristol Galatic space port

Why was it closed?

Opened by the Great Western Railway, the station closed due to economies during the First World War. It then passed on to the Western Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. It was then closed by the British Railways Board in 1964, then briefly reopened for traffic to the football ground until 1977, and temporarily re-opened in May 1984 to serve Mission England, a series of evangelical rallies by Billy Graham at the football ground.[1]

• Admin

Amazing that all the new transfer links are being put in place (New link road / train links), as Long Ashton stands surely there is not enough demand for these.

Often wonder if they are more confident about Ashton Vale taking place

Not wanting to pour water on the idea and knowing a little about trains

It ain't gonna happen

The most I have ever seen waiting to head towards Weston super mare after a game was approx 100

with about 20 wanting to go towards temple meads

The cheap day return from parson street to weston is £6:10p

Thats 600 quid maximum the train company would get every two weeks for nine months of the year

23 matches at 600 quid means £9,800 a year

How much do think it costs just to tarmac the platform?

http://www.thisisbri...tail/story.html

Part of the Bristol Metro scheme has Ashton Gate as a station, which will make traveling to matches far easier for many.

Not sure what the time frame is, but I fully expect to be travelling by train in time for the 2072/73 season.....after getting a rocket from Mars into Bristol Galatic space port

You can go by train, I fully intend to have my head, which will be in a glass jar, perserved forever, travel by a Star Trek style transporter beam, no peasent travel for this floating head

It ain't gonna happen

The most I have ever seen waiting to head towards Weston super mare after a game was approx 100

Thats 600 quid maximum the train company would get every two weeks for nine months of the year

Errr it isnt just for football

It ain't gonna happen

Imagine how many people from the Portishead and Pill areas would use the line on a daily basis to travel to and from Bristol for work.

Guys we could play ping pong with the idea all day long

Portishead is a dead end station with a population of 22,000 and one way out towards Bristol

Keynsham population approx 16,000 and sits between two large towns

Take a trip to Keynsham station, between first train of the day and 10:00am its quite busy

Then after that, very few alight or board between 10:00am and 4pm

Opened by the Great Western Railway, the station closed due to economies during the First World War. It then passed on to the Western Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. It was then closed by the British Railways Board in 1964, then briefly reopened for traffic to the football ground until 1977, and temporarily re-opened in May 1984 to serve Mission England, a series of evangelical rallies by Billy Graham at the football ground.[1]

Cheers! So Ashton Gate really IS a church!

It ain't gonna happen

What about the rail traffic to/from temple meads?

It ain't gonna happen

10K a year for the next 100 years = 1,000,000, not a bad return for 50K's worth of tarmac.

Not to mention the people travelling to the new arena for concerts at AV.

You got to think long term NTTDS, infrastructure investment opens up all sorts of possibilities, think of standing on the bridge welcoming the chelsea and man utd fans!

Guys we could play ping pong with the idea all day long

Portishead is a dead end station with a population of 22,000 and one way out towards Bristol

Keynsham population approx 16,000 and sits between two large towns

Take a trip to Keynsham station, between first train of the day and 10:00am its quite busy

Then after that, very few alight or board between 10:00am and 4pm

22'000? Yeah going up to neary 30000+ when finished

I believe these are funding, ownership and management changes put in place by the Coalition Gov't. Enabling councils around the country to run their own affairs without Whitehall funding, meddling or laborious waiting. Good news and credit to the coalition... hurahhhhh.... hurahhhhh.

Errr it isnt just for football

There must be huge demand from the thousands of dog walkers wanting to get down to the village green.

This is changing the paradigm in infrastructure funding, make no bones about it.

For the first time, clearly in decades, Bristol has presented a case to central Gov't for collecting and keeping taxes raised by such infrastructure and by pledging to re-invest those taxes which will increase, by definition. They won that submission. In short, Bristol now has to make this happen or it will have the agreement rescinded. it is a 10 year initial deal and is really excellent news for Bristol, South Glos and North Somerset.

This is changing the paradigm in infrastructure funding, make no bones about it.

For the first time, clearly in decades, Bristol has presented a case to central Gov't for collecting and keeping taxes raised by such infrastructure and by pledging to re-invest those taxes which will increase, by definition. They won that submission. In short, Bristol now has to make this happen or it will have the agreement rescinded. it is a 10 year initial deal and is really excellent news for Bristol, South Glos and North Somerset.

I agree, this is the first time in a long time that i have actually smiled at a gov decision, we, as a city need to build for the future, for all, for our children our grandchildren & great grandchildren, this is a total Must, please brizzle, dont balls it up with inner fighting, join together for a better and brighter future for us all, i know it's a long haul, just do it !

22'000? Yeah going up to neary 30000+ when finished

+2 as of our move to the Port Marine area last Friday :) and yes there is still substantial building going on around the old dock area. I am surprised that the developers weren't asked to contribute to the cost of reviving the rail link with this increase. The "Portbury Mile" has been greatly improved and it only took me 25 minutes to Victoria street this morning but another 5-8k moving in will greatly increase the amount of traffic again. The potential route is there already, upgrading work would be a healthy investment in my opinion.

Archived