IGNORED

Espn Classic Ch 425 Now

Portland Bill

The 1970 Brazil side were brilliant and imo better than today's Spain. The difference being flair. There was flair throughout that Brazilian team, Gerson, Jarzinho, Tostao, Rivelino and Pele. Even Carlos Alberto had amazingly quick feet. They won all 6 of their games on their way to the trophy.

They played with a free flowing high tempo style, something Spain rarely do. Spain are boring in comparison.

Arguably though, Spain are better defensively etc. Brazilian teams in the past had a reputation for being brilliant and freewheeling going forward but at the back, shakier...

That said, Spain were anything but boring on Sunday night. They moved the ball with great speed and accuracy while using the full width of the pitch where possible. Another diference is that I doubt so many sides put 10 men behind the ball back then, tactics were less well advanced by a long way- especially on the defensive side. Teams were more attacking in general then, more naive- impossible to compare IMO though because tackling was tougher and pitches were far worse.

In short, impossible to compare directly. Too many variables, both pro and con. I would say this though, day after final I watched some clips of Brazil 1970 and they looked like Spain on Sunday- serious similarities!

Archived