IGNORED

Goalkeeper.

notsobigfatdave

Pretty much every Swindon fan I know (and unfortunately I know quite a few) say this bloke is absolutely useless.

Pretty much every Swindon fan you know then who named him Swindon's 'Fans Player of the Season' in May 2007. ????

We might want a Top Goalie but can we afford one??

Ill take this a s NO Then. :laughcont:

Snarf, good wind up,

Even though this is a slight nibble, I hope for your sake, that's a wind up!

So why was he considered good enough last season for some of the most important games this club has played for years but not now?

It's not a wind up. I didn't say he was better, but if Gerken hadn't been stuck behind Jamo for 2 years and given the same opportunities as Hart (England, prem, champions league), i don't think you'd be able to tell them apart that easily.

He's far too good to be No.2 - that's for sure.

What's wrong with Gerken as No.1???

I can't understand why he's so underrated on otib. He's not that far behind Joe Hart ability wise, especially shot stopping.

I genuinely laughed out loud.

He's not the worst keeper in the division, but you're either winding us up or you're deluded.

It's not a wind up. I didn't say he was better, but if Gerken hadn't been stuck behind Jamo for 2 years and given the same opportunities as Hart (England, prem, champions league), i don't think you'd be able to tell them apart that easily.

He's far too good to be No.2 - that's for sure.

i actually quite rate Gerken but to compare him with one of the best keepers in the world is a bit too far.

What's wrong with Gerken as No.1???

I can't understand why he's so underrated on otib. He's not that far behind Joe Hart ability wise, especially shot stopping.

Neither was Flapper Phillips and look where he ended up. Great shot stopper but weak in every other goalkeeping department. Gerkin is much the same, better than Flapper but of the same ilk.

This is a bit harsh on Gerken, I think many agree that if James had played the last 8 games we'd be in League 1 now.

He is worth a shot at being first choice - he's in possession of the shirt after all, but we do need a genuine competitor for the position as we do for all positions.

Who's available, Myhill, Gordon, I'm sure that Del will find the right one. But I would prefer a permanent signing rather than a loan.

Only time will tell...

Now that Kenny has gone to Leeds I would certainly enquire about Andy Lonergan if I were McInnes. He always impressed when he was at Preston and I think it's fairly clear that he will be number 2 next season bearing in mind how highly Colin clearly rates Kenny. The fee may be an issue as he still has two years on his contract, but I would have thought that Leeds will want him off the wage bill as wasting good money on a keeper that is going to be a distant second choice doesn't make the best of sense.

If we sign Craig Gordon I'll post a picture of my naked wife on this forum.

No chance.

Having said that if you'd have said two years we'd have signed David James and made the same promise/threat then I'm not sure I'd like to have been you trying to explain that one to the wife...

Phil Smith wasn't/isn't 'useless', he's just no Wes Foderingham.

Smith made a couple of errors in important games which didn't help but he was a decent and loyal.

He's not Championship standard unless you need someone to sit on your bench and play the odd game.

Neither as Flapper Phillips and look where he ended up. Great shot stopper but weak in every other goalkeeping department. Gerkin is much the same, better than Flapper but of the same ilk.

Thats your opinion of course. I seem to remember you had a downer on Phillips when he was with us. Always running him down whatever sort of game he had had. I must say lot of people at the club with a bit more knowledge of football than you probably have must have rated him. Otherwise he would not have played 300 odd games for us, the second highest by any keeper if i remember rightly.

Where did he end up? he ended up on two play off winning sides at wembley and played most of his 550 league games in league one granted not good enough for the championship, but nevertheless good enough for league ones team of the season on two occasions and has just aquired a two year playing contract with Crewe Alex also becoming Crewes first accadamy keeper coach working with Dario Gradi

By the way his name is Steve !

Archived