IGNORED

Who Feels Priviliged?

Rich

Having been lucky enough to have been around since before we were promoted to the old first division, I just thought I'd say that I feel very priviliged to have witnessed some of the players that have turned out for BCFC in recent years.

Although the last couple of seasons have not been very inspiring, we have still been represented by some quality players in recent times, some might argue that this division is not too far off the quality of that old first division.

Who would you say has given you the greatest pleasure watching BCFC in the last six or seven seasons?

My list in no particular order:

Dele Adebola, David James, Albert Adomah, Lee Trundle, Paul Hartley, Basso and yes Bradley Orr.

Having been lucky enough to have been around since before we were promoted to the old first division, I just thought I'd say that I feel very priviliged to have witnessed some of the players that have turned out for BCFC in recent years.

Although the last couple of seasons have not been very inspiring, we have still been represented by some quality players in recent times, some might argue that this division is not too far off the quality of that old first division.

Who would you say has given you the greatest pleasure watching BCFC in the last six or seven seasons?

Dele Adebola, David James, Albert Adomah, Lee Trundle, Paul Hartley, Basso and yes Bradley Orr.

Murray, Tinnion, Hartley, Basso, Adomah, Tommy Doc, Maynard & Sno.

The amount of times I've wished we still had Hartley. What a player

Alan Walsh, Joe Jordan, Dave Smith, Mark Gavin, Martin Scott, Jim Brennan, Darren Barnard, Gary Shelton

wouldn't mind these boys now!

Not trying to be picky but the OP said in the last 6-7 seasons, these are old school which I've never experienced of watching ( wish I did though! ) the amount of times I've said to myself 'I wish I was around when City were in the top flight'

Alan Walsh, Joe Jordan, Dave Smith, Mark Gavin, Martin Scott, Jim Brennan, Darren Barnard, Gary Shelton

wouldn't mind these boys now!

Half of those were third tier players, however fondly we remember them and none in the last 6/7 years, that most people will remember.

Scott Murray, Bradley Orr, David Noble, Paul Hartley, Kalifa Cisse and Nicky Maynard over the last 6 seasons or so

How could I have forgotten scotty, Cisse makes it as well but I can't include Maynard, not out of spite but I just don't think he was all he's cracked up to be. One season of 20 odd goals, which came with long spells of nothing in between, followed by two very poor returns of goals, no matter what the reasons.

Anyway, this is celebrating the players that provide us fans with pleasure, if Maynard floats your boat, then so be it.

Yep, Murrary, Tinnion, Adomah, Maynard, James, Hartley and Carey (who nobody has seem to have mentioned?!?!)

Oh, and Caulker!

That's what this post is about, highlighting the quality we still have and have witnessed in the past.

Albert, Carey, Basso, Elliot (at his best was brilliant), Caulker, Gerkin (very brave).

Watching a defender score an overhead kick! McCombe, much maligned in the end, but what a contribution he made to us.

It's been a while since we had a Taylor playing for us, but the ones I've seen did pretty well.

Bas Savage made standing on the ball look effortless!

Me... and I tell all the glory-hunters the same.

It's not just the players Galley, Walshy, Whitehead, Scotty, Super Bob, Norman et al but having followed them from the late 60's we've experienced everything English football can offer - all divisions, cup finals, rivalries, highly respected mob, great ground/pubs, sell-outs ... just brilliant and genuinely don't think I could have picked a better club to follow.

Me... and I tell all the glory-hunters the same.

It's not just the players Galley, Walshy, Whitehead, Scotty, Super Bob, Norman et al but having followed them from the late 60's we've experienced everything English football can offer - all divisions, cup finals, rivalries, highly respected mob, great ground/pubs, sell-outs ... just brilliant and genuinely don't think I could have picked a better club to follow.

Certainly interesting aint it.

The amount of times I've wished we still had Hartley. What a player

Lets wait and see how Jody Morris turns out. We might be pleasantly surprised.

Too many players to mention but Bob Newman stands out for me in the post BCFC1982 regime.. from stick insect make do cheapo from the youth ranks to solid defender in the first team and a great servant for the club. He kept us in many matches when we were languishing at the foot of the football league. If ever there was an example of one player, one reliable, no nonsense hard worker who went all the way through the club and was, by financial necessity, pushed through that much faster and did a solid job it was Bob Newman.

Like many people you start to think of names and the list becomes almost endless.

I often wonder how our hero's of former years would fare in the modern game.

I saw John Atyeo play towards the end of his career, still a great player, scoring some great goals, but I don't recall him closing down defenders like say Stead does, or running back to defend a corner.

It's the moments that players create that stick in the mind, often but not always goalscoring moments.

Nobles goal at Palace in the play offs springs to mind, Scotty at Ninian Park with the hand cupped to ear celebration.

Those 40 yard cross field passes by Tins,

That first game at Arsenal, Cheesley's great header, City playing one and two touch football, when it was just like watching Brasil.

Gow squaring up to just about anybody who wasn't in a red shirt (and some who were),

Chris Garland stooping on all fours to head the ball over the line (against the Gas?).

Bradley Orr trying to play on even though he didn't know what day it was at Wembley.

Jacki mesmerising an opponent with the ball seemingly tied to his foot (another player who didn't know how to run towards his own goal)

Les Bardsley and Buster Footman racing onto the pitch to administer the magic sponge.

I've been privileged to share those moments with my Father, my son and now my grandsons, along with some very good friends.

in the last 6 or 7 Seasons, To be honest, there is no one that will last long in my Memory. You are getting the tail end of Murrays carrer, he will live in my memory.

Evander Sno was a good player Steven Caulker and Louis Carey and maybe Basso, who seemed to draw in the support unlike any other keeper in the previous 20 years

is that really sad that two players are old Stalwarts, a goalie the other two are loan players!! that tells me alot about supporting city over the past 6 or 7 years. It may have coincided with one of our most successful runs. But there are no real stand out players. And most certainly none that I would say it was a priviledge to see.

Watched (and I know this is incredibly sad) the 97/98 promotion video again the other night. We really did have some excellent players in that team: Taylor, Welch, Bell, Tinnion, Goater, Cramb and my old favourite Greg Goodridge. Obviously a highlights video doesn't tell the whole story but even Matt Hewlett, so unpopular at the time, looked a good footballer.

Watched (and I know this is incredibly sad) the 97/98 promotion video again the other night. We really did have some excellent players in that team: Taylor, Welch, Bell, Tinnion, Goater, Cramb and my old favourite Greg Goodridge. Obviously a highlights video doesn't tell the whole story but even Matt Hewlett, so unpopular at the time, looked a good footballer.

Hewlett wasn't a bad footballer, and was quite a tidy passer, he just didn't run around like a headless chicken smacking people over, which seems to be the the order of the day if you are a city fan.

Hewlett wasn't a bad footballer, and was quite a tidy passer, he just didn't run around like a headless chicken smacking people over, which seems to be the the order of the day if you are a city fan.

Yup. And not just fans either. There was one goal where Tommy Doherty lost the ball easily, recovered it with a desperate two-footed lunge and passed to Hewlett who scored with a lovely strike from the edge of the box. All the commentators talked about was the tenacious work by Doherty who "never gave up" (after giving the ball away cheaply.)

do i feel privileged? no, paying £30 to watch 2nd division football does not give me a feeling of being privileged

i thoroughly enjoyed watching noble when he was on his best form, and caulker too. i've also enjoyed seeing stead play for his movement and workrate.

Like herman above -- not sure privelaged is the right word -- supported City for 54 years -- the real celebratory moments are so few and far between -- probably real excitement / success twice a decade -- more my own fault really -- more in need of treatment for the addiction cos it just does not make sense!! Still happy to go along with it for some reason.....living in hope rather than expectation!!

yes seen some good players, some good moments but the bad in between............

Not trying to be picky but the OP said in the last 6-7 seasons, these are old school which I've never experienced of watching ( wish I did though! ) the amount of times I've said to myself 'I wish I was around when City were in the top flight'

The thing is, if this forum had been around then the players would have received similar criticisms to those given to the current crop. In those days, dissenting voices were almost entirely confined to the terraces. It would have been interesting to see what some on this forum would have made of their off field antics!!

Archived